The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 83

User Info Menu

So here's my run at the tune itself and the solo. Very rough, I admit. On the tune, my chord-melody clashes a bit with the piano comping of the backing track, so I might re-do this without the piano, just bass-drums. And, okay, there are some goofs and clams in this as well. The Conti phrases all run together in my head sometimes and I can't keep sections of the solo straight.

But I am looking at a really busy week and wanted to get my clip posted lest the business of stuff prevent from doing anything.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So here's my run at the tune itself and the solo. Very rough, I admit. On the tune, my chord-melody clashes a bit with the piano comping of the backing track, so I might re-do this without the piano, just bass-drums. And, okay, there are some goofs and clams in this as well. The Conti phrases all run together in my head sometimes and I can't keep sections of the solo straight.

But I am looking at a really busy week and wanted to get my clip posted lest the business of stuff prevent from doing anything.
    That was terrific Lawson! The chord melody was really smooth. I am also struggling to get through the 32 bar Conti solo cleanly (for me, I think it is an age/memory thing...) but I thought you nailed it. Congrats!

User Info Menu

So I went back and re-did my final take, except only with bass and drums for backing, and I like it much better!

Here's my (perhaps) final take on Vol. 4, Project 1: The Days Of Wine And Roses.

Bars 1-32 (Head): I lifted this directly from Freddym223 (on YouTube). A really cool player with lots of great videos on YouTube. Please check him out.
    Bars 33-64 (Solo): The assigned Conti solo.
    Bars 65-68 (Tag/Ending): Transcribed from Freddym223.
    I used Band In A Box for the backing track at 106 bpm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Here's my (perhaps) final take on Vol. 4, Project 1: The Days Of Wine And Roses.

Bars 1-32 (Head): I lifted this directly from Freddym223 (on YouTube). A really cool player with lots of great videos on YouTube. Please check him out.
    Really really nice, Joe! Sounds like a real performance. YOu've got a gig-worthy selection there!

Does Freddym223 provide the notation for his melody charts or did you do that yourself off the recording? Very nice and also quite instructive.

User Info Menu

Very nice, as Lawson said, if there is a chart for the head can you send it my way please.

Hi Lawson and Andy,

Thanks for the nice comments. I've attached my transcription of the Freddym223 head (as a PDF). FYI. I use Finale Notepad (free version) to transcribe stuff (notes and tab).

Caveat Emptor! Most of the notes are there but I am sure some of the rhythm is off. You should really go back to the original to see how Freddy does it.

Hopefully, I'm not in violation of any copyright laws. I just really enjoy Freddy's playing and teaching.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Hi Lawson and Andy,

Thanks for the nice comments. I've attached my transcription of the Freddym223 head (as a PDF). FYI. I use Finale Notepad (free version) to transcribe stuff (notes and tab).

Caveat Emptor! Most of the notes are there but I am sure some of the rhythm is off. You should really go back to the original to see how Freddy does it.

Hopefully, I'm not in violation of any copyright laws. I just really enjoy Freddy's playing and teaching.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Many thanks!
    I've downloaded it quickly before the copyright mafia comes for us!

User Info Menu

Yes me too, thanks for doing that.

I had a go at an alternative solo using some lines from previous arrangements, that I would like to share.
    there are a few gaffs but hopefully you will enjoy it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Yes me too, thanks for doing that.

I had a go at an alternative solo using some lines from previous arrangements, that I would like to share.
    That's the whole idea of the study, actually, so you've made a big step there. I always puzzle over this tune for improvisation, you've inspired me to give that a try as well.

Hi Andy,
    What Lawson said "you've made a big step there." Working in lines from other projects to create a new solo. That's the ticket. Congrats!
    Joe

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I think that what we discovered in bar 15 had made something click.
    Really early days though, it took me about 4hrs to work that out, ultimately I want to do it on the spot.

To be honest, I won’t be able to remember a complete solo in a live situation (if that ever happens) and will need to be able to make stuff up.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I think that what we discovered in bar 15 had made something click.
    Really early days though, it took me about 4hrs to work that out, ultimately I want to do it on the spot.

To be honest, I won’t be able to remember a complete solo in a live situation (if that ever happens) and will need to be able to make stuff up.
    I always thought "making stuff up" was part of the definition of "jazz"! ;-)

User Info Menu

I thought I'd take a stab at something I don't do very well, namely playing the melody mainly as a single-note line with ornamentation or improvised fills and such. usually I'm a chord-melody guy, but I need to work more on melodic playing. So this is the head, played with some embellishment and improvisation, and it isn't arranged or planned... this is just what came out, though of course I've played "with" the melody a lot and developed a lot of ideas. I have a long way to go on this.

This recording was just "going with it" followed by the Conti solo, and for the life of me I keep forgetting how to play that last phrase. Alas.

Another brain cell hits the bug-light!

I thought I'd take a stab at something I don't do very well, namely playing the melody mainly as a single-note line with ornamentation or improvised fills and such. usually I'm a chord-melody guy, but I need to work more on melodic playing. So this is the head, played with some embellishment and improvisation, and it isn't arranged or planned... this is just what came out, though of course I've played "with" the melody a lot and developed a lot of ideas. I have a long way to go on this.
    Jazzy! I liked it!

Inspired by Andy and Lawson, I had to try one more take.

- Head (bars 1-32): I played it exceeding straight except for fills in bars 20 and 22 which I lifted from a Johnny Smith recording.
    - Solo (bars 33-48): I lifted an Ed Bickert solo featured in a Rosemary Clooney recording. She does the tune in Ab, so I had to transpose it to F.
    - Solo (bars 49-64): This is the second half of the Robert Conti solo that we learned for this project.

I was hoping to get a cleaner take but I ran out of time. So here you have it... including a few clams and pickup taps.

I think I can safely say that I am now done with this project. Although on my own time I will be working to combine the Freddym223 head with the Bickert/Conti solo.

User Info Menu

Inspired by Andy and Lawson, I had to try one more take.

- Head (bars 1-32): I played it exceeding straight except for fills in bars 20 and 22 which I lifted from a Johnny Smith recording.
    - Solo (bars 33-48): I lifted an Ed Bickert solo featured in a Rosemary Clooney recording. She does the tune in Ab, so I had to transpose it to F.
    - Solo (bars 49-64): This is the second half of the Robert Conti solo that we learned for this project.

I was hoping to get a cleaner take but I ran out of time. So here you have it... including a few clams and pickup taps.

I think I can safely say that I am now done with this project. Although on my own time I will be working to combine the Freddym223 head with the Bickert/Conti solo.
    that's really wonderful! Actually this sounds like you're ready to play this tune on a gig. You've got lots of great material under your fingers.

FYI. The new thread for Volume 4, Project 2 (Wave) is now available. Hope to see everyone over there!

Robert Conti TTI Vol 4 Project 2 (Wave)
    As always, your input is welcome regarding schedule, process, etc.

User Info Menu

I like Freddy. Been a few years since I watched any of his videos. I'll have to find him and subscribe to his channel. He did a few lessons on chords that I enjoyed, and a nice version of "All of Me." He's got a great time feel, and he's tasty.

User Info Menu

I'm back from vacation and happy to get the first 16 bars on video. I've enjoyed all of your posts while I was away. Cheers.

Nice !!
    Where is that backing track from ?

User Info Menu

Here is my mm. 1-16. I"m wondering if I'm counting the time a little wrong in mm. 13-16, seems like I'm not ending exactly on the right spot. Let me know what you think!

I also thought the old warhorse 1970's Aria Pro II PE180 sounded pretty nice!

I"m wondering if I'm counting the time a little wrong in mm. 13-16, seems like I'm not ending exactly on the right spot. Let me know what you think!

I think you missed a triplet (played them like eighth notes) bar 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Nice !!
    Where is that backing track from ?
    Thanks Doublea A. I used Band In A Box (Version 2014) for the backing track.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dio666
    Sounding good, guys! I went ahead and played the head also, so I guess this will be my final submission for this tune. The backing track had an ending to it, so I threw in a tag at the end of the solo.

Very Inspiring !!
    Great Work !!

User Info Menu

Sounds Great Lawson !!

User Info Menu

So I went back and re-did my final take, except only with bass and drums for backing, and I like it much better!

Even Better !!