The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 83

User Info Menu

Found the problem. I was dropping a note out of the second phrase of measure 11. Re-recorded it with the L5ces as a change of pace and I think it's right here, even if it's still a little mechanical.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Lawson, it sounds great to me.

Mark, I feel your pain. I am spending a lot of time with my elderly parents at the moment, dad has had 2 strokes this year and its sad to see him so diminished, Mum has early dementia and is looking after him. Its a worry thats for sure.

Here is my effort on bars 1 -16, its great to be back playing it really takes my mind off it all.

Hey Andy what guitar is that? Sounds really nice!

User Info Menu

You guys all sound great! Here is my take on it. Like last time, I took the new meausures for this week, (9 through 16), and played them over the Blue Bossa changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dio666
    You guys all sound great! Here is my take on it. Like last time, I took the new measures for this week, (9 through 16), and played them over the Blue Bossa changes.
    Well done Chris! I really need to take that next step (as you did) and internalize the lines and theory so that I reuse the lines over chords and chord progressions across many tunes.

User Info Menu

So I promise this is my last one for this week's assignment! Practicing this, I was getting the tempo up a little higher and thought it worth a post.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Hey Andy what guitar is that? Sounds really nice!
    Thanks Lawson, the guitar is a Peerless “Wizard” Here is a link to the specifications on jazz’n Guitars for more info.
    I went through a “give it up” phase and sold my Telecsater, after a while I was missing my hobby and looked around for a replacement. Fortunately a friend had the Wizard for sale so I bought it, not expecting it to be very good.
    Well it’s a great guitar, it had 9 gauge string on it, I swapped them for some TI bebop 12’s. The neck is great for me, the body size is wide but thin and quite comfortable, and the build quality is exceptional.
    The only thing I don’t like is the 3 pickups, the middle one may have to go, only because I catch the pick on it sometimes.

I would say Peerless are hugely underrated, a great buy for anyone looking for quality guitar for not much money.

I have also gone down the silent recording route, I am using a “Roland go mixer” the guitar goes through a American sound pedal first, then I can blend the backing track in using the mixer, before going straight to my phone for recording. I can post a photo of the setup if anyone is interested.

andyb

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson, the guitar is a Peerless “Wizard” Here is a link to the specifications on jazz’n Guitars for more info.
    I went through a “give it up” phase and sold my Telecsater, after a while I was missing my hobby and looked around for a replacement. Fortunately a friend had the Wizard for sale so I bought it, not expecting it to be very good.
    Well it’s a great guitar, it had 9 gauge string on it, I swapped them for some TI bebop 12’s. The neck is great for me, the body size is wide but thin and quite comfortable, and the build quality is exceptional.
    The only thing I don’t like is the 3 pickups, the middle one may have to go, only because I catch the pick on it sometimes.

I would say Peerless are hugely underrated, a great buy for anyone looking for quality guitar for not much money.

I have also gone down the silent recording route, I am using a “Roland go mixer” the guitar goes through a American sound pedal first, then I can blend the backing track in using the mixer, before going straight to my phone for recording. I can post a photo of the setup if anyone is interested.

andyb
    I agree Peerless is an outstanding and often overlooked value. I have a Peerless monarch that I love, but seldom play for no good reason other than I just like the Gibsons. Might sell it, but it's a beauty to be sure.

andyb
    Yes, Andy, please. Thanks!

User Info Menu

No Problem.

This is the set up, it works quite well and is totally portable.

I can do the recordings and not disturb anyone or worry about background noise.

Robert Conti TTI Vol 4 Project 1 (Wine and Roses)-dsc_0002-copy-jpg

Robert Conti TTI Vol 4 Project 1 (Wine and Roses)-dsc_0005-copy-jpg

User Info Menu

Looks like you could pack everything but the phone and tablet in a compact bag for the road. Your recording sounded great, so this looks like a good set up.

User Info Menu

Yes Its quite neat, you can plug a microphone and a keyboard in as well if you like.

Great and simple set up. Very portable. I'm going to try it. Thank you.

User Info Menu

I have been Looking at bars 15 & 16 again, we discussed the line in previous posts.

I was thinking about trying to speed those bars up or many just bar 15 up. My favourite players add a few fast runs in to there solos here and there, when a solo is all fast it seems to loose something for me, I think it’s variety in a solo I like to hear.

Going back to bar 15, Mr Conti talked and demonstrates on the DVD starting on the C, then he does a cromaric run down to A, followed by some other flashy stuff, I get a bit lost in that it’s all so quick.

I was was hoping that we could collectively figuring it out?

andyb

Here's my take on bars 1-24. I played it pretty much as written. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Here is my MM. 1-24.

User Info Menu

And my 1-24

User Info Menu

And my 1-24
    Owned it! That guitar sounds great!

User Info Menu

OT: That's the sound of P90 pickups. They sound like that in any hollow body. I prefer their sound over Humbuckers which usually are muddier than P90s. It didn't say on their site who Peerless buys them from. I have P90 Antiquities by Seymour Duncan in my little hollow body.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Owned it! That guitar sounds great!
    Thanks Lawson, I have been working hard on learning this solo.
    I also swapped to a thin pick and I think that gives more snap to the notes, it also makes playing faster easier.
    The Peerless is a great guitar, but the middle pick up is starting to bug me. I am looking for a replacement, nearly pulled the trigger on a Epiphone es175 but it had some paint damage, and that was to risky for me. Watch this space though there is a GB 10 that I’m looking at at the moment.

User Info Menu

Here is my video for this week, better late than never:

As much as I enjoy pushing the tempo when I play, I think I like this solo better at a slower tempo, so I may go with a slower backing track for next week.

-Chris

User Info Menu

Here is my video for this week, better late than never:

As much as I enjoy pushing the tempo when I play, I think I like this solo better at a slower tempo, so I may go with a slower backing track for next week.

-Chris
    I agree-the fast tempo just makes this solo sound mechanical, more like a drill than a piece of music. I've been pushing the tempo in practice and I keep coming back to the tune itself, the words, the movie, and realizing this one seems to lose something important at high tempos.

Here's my take on the full solo. I played it pretty much as written at 106 bpm.

I think my guitar sounds a bit boomy/flubby up around the 12-15 frets on the low E and A strings. I'll try to clean it up a bit in my final video (head + solo) next week.

Cheers,
    Joe

User Info Menu

Sounds great Joe,

Here is my complete solo.

User Info Menu

Sounding good, guys! I went ahead and played the head also, so I guess this will be my final submission for this tune. The backing track had an ending to it, so I threw in a tag at the end of the solo.

Sounding good, guys! I went ahead and played the head also, so I guess this will be my final submission for this tune. The backing track had an ending to it, so I threw in a tag at the end of the solo.
    Sweet Chris! Great take to end the project.