The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35
    There's also LC's TrueFire "335 Blues" which is very good.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi All. I've added videos to show some ideas that I found inspiring from each course. Sometimes it's a riff directly from the course, and other times, it's just something that grew out of an idea from the course. Also, I changed website platforms, so the old link no longer works.

Lead Cat Press - The Best TrueFire Courses

Thank you for all your suggestions and thoughts; happy learning!

User Info Menu

FWIW, I've been working through the Jazz Learning Path and have been enjoying that. It seems that most of those courses have cherry picked lessons from other standalone TF courses, and it's been fun working through them. I've learned a fair bit so far, and it's nice having a wide range of teachers.

Some of the material seems to differ on its difficulty within the same course, for instance I was learning all kinds of new chord shapes in the "Play Jazz Guitar 3" course, and then one lesson was just around the G major scale. It seemed rudimentary since I was just breaking my fingers on some new chord shapes, but I guess it depends on where you're coming from in your learning.

This all being said, I don't expect this to be a one-stop shop for all your jazz education needs. I've found it best to pull from a wide variety. Sometimes it takes multiple different presentations of a subject before it hits your brain in the right way and it "clicks".

As for me, I don't know if I'll ever be a straight up jazz player, but I was trying to work some jazz into my blues solos. I have a long way to go but the journey has been fun so far.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapthatplank
    FWIW, I've been working through the Jazz Learning Path and have been enjoying that. It seems that most of those courses have cherry picked lessons from other standalone TF courses, and it's been fun working through them. I've learned a fair bit so far, and it's nice having a wide range of teachers.

Some of the material seems to differ on its difficulty within the same course, for instance I was learning all kinds of new chord shapes in the "Play Jazz Guitar 3" course, and then one lesson was just around the G major scale. It seemed rudimentary since I was just breaking my fingers on some new chord shapes, but I guess it depends on where you're coming from in your learning.

This all being said, I don't expect this to be a one-stop shop for all your jazz education needs. I've found it best to pull from a wide variety. Sometimes it takes multiple different presentations of a subject before it hits your brain in the right way and it "clicks".

As for me, I don't know if I'll ever be a straight up jazz player, but I was trying to work some jazz into my blues solos. I have a long way to go but the journey has been fun so far.
    Anything by Frank Vignola is great !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I really like Sean McGowan’s approach to finger style guitar and comping. He’s got quite a few courses there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xavierbarcelo
    I really like Sean McGowan’s approach to finger style guitar and comping. He’s got quite a few courses there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I'm a big fan of McGowan's courses. He one of the few who share those subtle technique tips that most teachers don't point out. The "pull off to nowhere" when playing walking bass is one that comes to mind.

User Info Menu

I'd recommend any of the Robben Ford or Larry Carlton courses . U-tube has some of them so you can get an idea of what they are like. Also , some Joe Pass on U-Tube .

User Info Menu

Several month passed, maybe there are some thing new?

I can confirm Mimi Fox, Tim Lerch, Sheryl Bailey all good.

I like Frank Vignola's content, but unfortunately (regardless the level of the content) he teaches in style like he explain how to wash hands in kindergarten. After a few minutes, it forces me think jeez man, I am not 5 years old :-)

User Info Menu

Tim Miller's 2-1-2-1 arpeggios are very cool for hybrid learners.

User Info Menu

This is something that’s putting me off Franks courses. the teaching style.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Several month passed, maybe there are some thing new?

I can confirm Mimi Fox, Tim Lerch, Sheryl Bailey all good.

I like Frank Vignola's content, but unfortunately (regardless the level of the content) he teaches in style like he explain how to wash hands in kindergarten. After a few minutes, it forces me think jeez man, I am not 5 years old :-)