Posts 276 to 290 of 290

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    stop acting like youre american

Start using punctuation.

The colonies; sheesh.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.

Frank Sinatra

User Info Menu

Please somebody; roll Christian over.

I’ve seen Christian so drunk he didnt remember his name but he was still on here telling people its not a Db its a C#

User Info Menu

This is really SUPER stuff guys.

Given that no troll is happier than when they have the opportunity to stay cool story bro I thought I would add to tonights fun with enough personal information to allow y'all to use it correctly.

I typed this earlier as I steered the other David back onto the bed and changed his sheets and quietly panicked waiting for his rescue medication to take effect. I don't think it will be convenient to record anything anytime soon.

Where I live the street is more often than not filled with beautiful happy Roma Children, white kids are prisoners. Today I visited Maggie whilst working with my friend and colleague Alan, and of course David who I care for was there, the drive being for his benefit. One girls who recently started school and has barely learned English was playing. She is, as many children are, possessing of perfectly proportioned features and could have stepped out of a late renaissance oil painting. She is super charismatic and confident which suggests that her mother who I say hello to as she smokes on our street is doing a superb job. A few days ago the girl accosted me in the street and said I should give her money, pushing my tummy as she walked backwards, I told her off. The reason is probably that a few weeks ago on the hottest day of the year her friends Rudy and Ivanka left our corner shop empty handed after gazing for a long time in the freezer cabinet, so I bought a dozen ice poles and gave them to their mother who was eating pumpkin seeds on a chair outside the close neighbouring ours. She shared them amongst her children and the children of her friends.

Today the little girl and her two brothers were playing happily, the elder boy told me 'yes it's new' as he cycled past on his bicycle but of course, like small animals and all children, they were only drawn to stop and stand and talk when Maggie arrived, also on a bicycle.

They chatted easily to Maggie as I extinguished my cigarette and then to me and then Alan in the drivers seat. They asked where my bicycle was and I pointed and said far away, fourteen miles, I am working today that is where David lives. He didn't believe me and asked how I would get it back I said I would finish work on Monday and would return on it. Then they asked about David who was sitting in the back seat. I said 'we care for him, he is very ill'. Surprised that he had not been invited to join the conversation the girl asked with sudden insight 'can he talk ?'

'No', I said 'He cannot talk, there are a lot of things he cannot do'.

She looked up at me, her eyes, rare amongst her kin, illuminating the sun above us with their blue, ill used to clouds, met mine.

'That's not fair she said.'

I reached for Maggie's, hand.

The girl began to sing again as is her habit when not talking , her habitual teasing smile returned. I joined the tune with her, it was the one the child sang on the train carriage in Latcha Drom. She squinted at me and her little brow creased. It was a delight to surprise her.

///////////

I am glad you are all using your time productively, and I apologise for my laziness as the organ grinder should not only turn the handle but also stop and dance when the monkeys demand it.

I feel that anyone who bakes a cake and takes it out of the oven half way through the cooking time is unlikely be any better at cooking barbecue, since I can cook and can spot someone who cant pretty easily. I shan't be in a hurry to produce a video but when it is convenient I will share it here, especially for all y'all.

Just wait.

D.

D.

D.

User Info Menu

Urrrrrgggghhhhh. Ow.

User Info Menu

Not a response to Freel's post BTW, which would be of course; cool story, bro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Urrrrrgggghhhhh. Ow.
    Not here, Christian. In the bathroom, please.

anyone else drunk again? just me? ahh well...

User Info Menu

Not a response to Freel's post BTW, which would be of course; cool story, bro.
    Some people are very well read. Again, my only issue is that someone with this much wisdom and skill likely already has lots of material to make available. It would take less time just to post it than it took to paste that material.

User Info Menu

Is there an interview or article or book in which he says this about her phrasing? Does he give examples? I want to hear it, but I'm not sure that I do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    Is there an interview or article or book in which he says this about her phrasing? Does he give examples? I want to hear it, but I'm not sure that I do.
    I have no memory of what this is in reference to

User Info Menu

I have no memory of what this is in reference to

Sorry. I meant to include a quotation about Wynton Marsalis pointing out that "Billie's phrasing is heavily based on 1/4 triplets and this gives the phrasing that sounds 'behind the beat.' "

I was asking for the source, and if he provided any examples of her phrasing that were based on 1/4 note triplets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    Sorry. I meant to include a quotation about Wynton Marsalis pointing out that "Billie's phrasing is heavily based on 1/4 triplets and this gives the phrasing that sounds 'behind the beat.' "

I was asking for the source, and if he provided any examples of her phrasing that were based on 1/4 note triplets.
    Sure thing fella

Interview with Wynton Marsalis (Part 1) | DO THE M@TH
    Relevant quote:

EI: Barry Harris told me once that he thought Charlie Parker constantly played in 4 and 6 at the same time. That it was in there somewhere…
    WM: It’s in everybody’s music. Billie Holiday is the most pronounced one…
    EI: Oh, you think so?
    WM: Well, that I’ve heard of the jazz musicians. If we put on a Billie Holiday record and we tap quarter note triplets, a lot of her phrasing will line exactly up with those triplets. Put her music on and tap out a quarter note triplet. She’s always in that quarter note time. “Sailboat in the moonlight with you…”
    With our music it’s more playing against the ground rhythm. We set the ground rhythm up and we play with the rhythms in the context of the ground rhythm. Monk is a great example of that. Or for today, Marcus Roberts. They both set up the ground rhythm and play a lot of really inventive rhythms that will resolve in the context of the ground rhythm. And this is like African music with the exception of the fact that African musicians are playing in the two times at once. In our music it’s kind of over here in the lower of the 4 time. We’re playing in the upper three – if you got to be technical about it – we’re not hearing it like that of course. But we’re super-imposing all these rhythms and melodies on top of it and trying to resolve them with a certain type of feeling in time.

User Info Menu

The less observant of you may not have noticed that, before the illegal action of the moderator, the wait was not so long. Me, I can wait a long time.

But that doesn't matter, this is a place for jokers, not musicians so here is a joke.

A raggedy stranger wearing a poncho and blue jeans walks into a busy bar, and silence.

Attempting to be casual and adjusting his ill fitting black hat a boy greeted him.

'Evening... hippy, we got a tradition in this here town, strangers they gotta tell use a joke you see, we like to laugh.'

There are sniggers.

Calmly the stranger tells his joke, his voice is hard yet kind, the joke is good.

Noone has the courage to laugh.

'Friend.... you don't seem to understand, this here is a racist bar, tell us a racist joke.'

'Listen son I don't believe in race, I am a man of learning, I have checked, race just don't exits you see
    there's only two types of people, good people and bad people, me I'm a bad motherfucker.'

Slowly, softly, sadly smiling and unsurprised blue eyes now turned to flint the stranger left as he so often had, backwards.

The kid took one step towards the door before turning sharply and heading for the privy.
    The barman went through the back to piss in the whisky, when he returned the kid was spinning his toy guns in the mirror again.

D.