The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 290

User Info Menu

Joe, if you are still around.

I have been working on a little exercise that should, if I ever take the time to do it properly, deliver the facility you feel would be helpful to swing in some ways.

Set your metronome as low as possible (I have a little digital one which goes down to 30/120 for this exercise)

Tap you left foot for with the metronome (this is the anticipation of the), right foot follows on the downbeat.

Stay with the click religiously, left foot unchanging.

COUNT OUT LOUD first, even eights (+1+2+3+4)
    next (and preferably initially after several bars) (a1+a2+a3+4)
    then count sixteenths.

Stay with the click in the left foot but allow the beat to land where the change in subdivision dictates.

It's a zen style exercise, one to enjoy doing in no hurry an accepting the impossibility of perfetction

It's a pretty deep exercise I could upload a demonstration but watching me try isn't the point, 30 bpm is really too fast. If you use a PC there is a program available called weird metronome which goes down to 1bpm, things start to become really instructive about 18bpm.

This is an empirical experiment to test the postulate you stated at the start of the thread, use it as a jumping off point for other things if you find it interesting, if your postulate is correct it should give you the facility, with time, to play with others and tie even eighths or any other subdivision to the up and delay the down, if it isn't then it will make you a subtly stronger musician anyway if you are patient and do it well.

When you can move seamlessly between the three feels and FEEL GOOD doing it then you will be in some kind of ZONE, it may not be directly applicable to any joint musical venture but your body will thank you in the end.

I'll be trying it anyway, I love simple elegant practical things, especially when they are so hard they slow me down below a crawl. That's where I learn.

D.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Freel
    Joe, if you are still around.

I have been working on a little exercise that should, if I ever take the time to do it properly, deliver the facility you feel would be helpful to swing in some ways.

Set your metronome as low as possible (I have a little digital one which goes down to 30/120 for this exercise)

Tap you left foot for with the metronome (this is the anticipation of the), right foot follows on the downbeat.

Stay with the click religiously, left foot unchanging.

COUNT OUT LOUD first, even eights (+1+2+3+4)
    next (and preferably initially after several bars) (a1+a2+a3+4)
    then count sixteenths.

Stay with the click in the left foot but allow the beat to land where the change in subdivision dictates.

It's a zen style exercise, one to enjoy doing in no hurry an accepting the impossibility of perfetction

It's a pretty deep exercise I could upload a demonstration but watching me try isn't the point, 30 bpm is really too fast. If you use a PC there is a program available called weird metronome which goes down to 1bpm, things start to become really instructive about 18bpm.

This is an empirical experiment to test the postulate you stated at the start of the thread, use it as a jumping off point for other things if you find it interesting, if your postulate is correct it should give you the facility, with time, to play with others and tie even eighths or any other subdivision to the up and delay the down, if it isn't then it will make you a subtly stronger musician anyway if you are patient and do it well.

When you can move seamlessly between the three feels and FEEL GOOD doing it then you will be in some kind of ZONE, it may not be directly applicable to any joint musical venture but your body will thank you in the end.

I'll be trying it anyway, I love simple elegant practical things, especially when they are so hard they slow me down below a crawl. That's where I learn.

D.
    Hey Freel-I normally find that the advice people give is pretty directly correlated to how and what they play. But I don't have any basis to connect your advice to a particular style, or level, or type of playing. Could you post some clips to give us an idea of what's going on with your playing? It's kind of traditional in the forum for those who offer advice and strategies and such to substantiate their authority also, by posting clips so we can all say "Wow, yeah, that's what I want to be able to do."

I for one would love to hear you play and incorporate the ideas you've shared.

that sounds really interesting freel, but i don’t think i fully grasp how to practice it. a demonstration would be great, if you can.

Lawson, he posted some playing on some other thread and is playing is fantastic. He improvises classical guitar music on his youtube channel. first rate classical technique and tone, not to mention the musical ideas.

do you play jazz freel, or is your interest here mostly guitar improvisation in general?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    that sounds really interesting freel, but i don’t think i fully grasp how to practice it. a demonstration would be great, if you can.

Lawson, he posted some playing on some other thread and is playing is fantastic. He improvises classical guitar music on his youtube channel. first rate classical technique and tone, not to mention the musical ideas.

do you play jazz freel, or is your interest here mostly guitar improvisation in general?
    This being a jazz forum, and the topic being "swing" obviously my interest is in how fruitful the advice is for playing and improvising jazz. Lots of outstanding classical players are pretty poor jazz players, and that's not to take away from any virtuosity at classical. But jazz is a different genre, involves different techniques, and often very different learning and practice disciplines. So I'd like to know if the advice is that of a classical player who thinks a lot about jazz, or a classical player who really can play jazz.

In any event, demos are great.

User Info Menu

Basically I suppose you are advising people on how to swing, can you swing?

Someone can check me out and decide that i don’t swing, and thereby ignore my advice, so no harm done, right? :-)

Can you pm a link to freel’s YouTube please joe, I’ve been trying to check out his playing but he’s terribly coy.

exactly for example here is christian trying to demonstrate his time feel

i think hes only getting frustrated because swing is nearly impossible to teach

User Info Menu

Come on, Christian is a pain in the back or maybe lower because he is English or maybe just British but he does the job very well and he's got a good sense of humour.

yeah of course it’s a joke, hes great and has a good sense of humor that’s why i like to pick on him. he can take a joke

i actually dont think hes a pain at all, im probably a pain in his haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Basically I suppose you are advising people on how to swing, can you swing?

Someone can check me out and decide that i don’t swing, and thereby ignore my advice, so no harm done, right? :-)

Can you pm a link to freel’s YouTube please joe, I’ve been trying to check out his playing but he’s terribly coy.
    It’s not a secret, he’s posted videos on the classical thread.

David Freel
    - YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

David Freel
    - YouTube
    Nice, but that tells as much about his swing feel as a video of me baking a cake would tell you about my barbeque.

User Info Menu

i think hes only getting frustrated because swing is nearly impossible to teach
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

User Info Menu

I do Skype lessons if anyone is interested

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

David Freel
    - YouTube
    I don’t go there except to troll.

User Info Menu

Teaching how to swing sounds like : "Pictures of Lily made my life so wonderful !"

User Info Menu

i think i finally figured out how to swing-car-key-pile-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm busy.

Wait.

D.

User Info Menu

I can assure you I am waiting on absolute tenterhooks. Salivating with anticipation.

What are we waiting for, again?

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I can assure you I am waiting on absolute tenterhooks. Salivating with anticipation.

What are we waiting for, again?

User Info Menu

Cool.

I couldn't work out what Bieber song he was doing tho. Maybe it was an album track?

that was supposed to be music to listen to while you waited in suspense

User Info Menu

I idolized my friend's dad who was a professional musician who's quote I'll never forget; "He wouldn't swing if you hung him".

Joe on the other hand I understand to be well swung.

User Info Menu

I was listening to that thing he did with the bass like Hit the Road Jack.

Said it was a Bieber. Pro tip - cover one of the well known songs if you want youtube hits.

User Info Menu

Look I'm drunk and I'm going to eke out this unfunny joke. So there.

(I did use the same joke with a bunch of teenagers in a composition class and it worked tho. And the exercise of composing a passacaglia)