The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 290

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    No, South West, a village called Tenby, a very known village I think.
    Attachment 55557
    This is Tenby and myself.
    It's unusual in southern Wales to use Welsh as a first language unless they're the sort of folks who want to 'keep it alive', and all that. Generally speaking, that is. Up in the valleys it's very usual and English is somewhat frowned on as a sort of usurper's language. Mind you, South West may be straying into that area a little.

Here's an image from Wiki. It's dated 2011 but it's probably still accurate.

i think i finally figured out how to swing-welsh_speakers_in_the_2011_census-png

Wales - Wikipedia

I went to Cardiff many years ago and stayed in Splott, which is a fun name. The signs are all bilingual with English first, Welsh second. Just for fun I went round asking people if they actually spoke Welsh. I spoke to shop people, road diggers, the lot. Not one of them did. Honestly!

But my girlfriend/partner is partly Welsh (surname Jones) and I get a lot of impromptu lectures about all this. Apparently her grandfather was beaten in school for speaking Welsh. But that was a long time ago.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They generally call again when it's cheap or free !
    I don’t think that’s a terribly satisfactory business model

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Here's an image from Wiki. It's dated 2011 but it's probably still accurate.

i think i finally figured out how to swing-welsh_speakers_in_the_2011_census-png

Wales - Wikipedia
    I had been there in April 1993, it's a very touristic place, there weren't so many retired and tourists, just people from the village, now I think this part is full of non native Welsh (retired people, people from England who want to die decently in a quiet and nice place).
    That's true, it was lovely but too young and stupid to figure out it was.

User Info Menu

The BBC aired a TV police drama series called Hinterland, set in Wales. It was scripted bilingually in both Welsh and English. The Welsh bits had English subtitles. It was quite dark but very good.

If you want to hear it here's an episode. I've disguised the link because this is a jazz forum (!) but you can click here and there on it to get the full effect. There's a Welsh bit at about 29.00.

Xhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9rB-BkF1oU

User Info Menu

There is pro and there is "pro level". My definition of "pro level" is being able to hold your own when you play with pro's. The concept of being a pro, I think, means musicianship activities being a persons main source of income.
    My own goal is to perform jazz at the "pro level". This is I think sometimes called "part-time pro" or carrier musician (ie. a musician who relies on a another carrier for income and plays occasional gigs with pros). These are not the most sought after musicians in their cities but I know some who are very good at being "part time pros".
    Last edited by Tal_175; 08-26-2018 at 08:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Semi-pro. But I really like 'part-time pro' :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    There is pro and there is "pro level". My definition of "pro level" is being able to hold your own when you play with pro's. The concept of being a pro, I think, means musicianship activities being a persons main source of income.
    My own goal is to perform jazz at the "pro level". This is sometimes called "part-time pro" or carrier musician (ie. a musician who relies on a another carrier for income and plays occasional gigs with pros). These are not the most sought after musicians in their cities but I know some who are very good at being "part time pros".
    I’m not sure it’s even that cut and dried.

The Moreno workshop gives an idea of what is required to become a world class pro. But that’s NYC.

OTOH I know plenty of players who are playing every night in London who don’t necessarily play amazing - the ones who are great at organisation, booking gigs and that type of stuff. These guys can book the best players in town.

I think jazz is to some extent a meritocracy though in that the people at the top have done a phenomenal amount of work on their playing.

Most of us are somewhere in the middle.

User Info Menu

thanks for the Mike Moreno video,,,,Mike is now on Band in a Box as an Artist Performance Soloist....real tracks... I just bought it as an add on...and tried Mike on BLues For ALice..3 chorus Solo....Delightful...dont know if mike really does those Note LEaps...athlete..wonder if theres something in Options..i think i finally figured out how to swing-mike-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss
    thanks for the Mike Moreno video,,,,Mike is now on Band in a Box as an Artist Performance Soloist....real tracks... I just bought it as an add on...and tried Mike on BLues For ALice..3 chorus Solo....Delightful...dont know if mike really does those Note LEaps...athlete..wonder if theres something in Options..i think i finally figured out how to swing-mike-jpg
    That is hilarious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss
    Extra high A string.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Pat Martino?

Actually I don't hear dexter as staccato at all. He does that thing where he plays dead straight against a swinging rhythm section though, that's just great, and instantly identifiable.
    He doesn't play straight, he is laid back, things don't seem to be accurate but the feeling is there, modern sax players don't play like this anymore, that charming thing has gone because of conservatories.
    On the alto saxophone, I appreciate a lot Jackie McLean.

it’s straight AND laid back. straight meaning even eighth motes, laid back meaning down beats slightly behind and swubg eighths locked in. trust me guys im somewhat of an expert as i figured this out over 2 days ago. in fact speaking of pros, i guess i can consider myself an honorary pro bc i know this secret and know all the cushtie slang.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I’m not sure it’s even that cut and dried.

The Moreno workshop gives an idea of what is required to become a world class pro. But that’s NYC.

OTOH I know plenty of players who are playing every night in London who don’t necessarily play amazing - the ones who are great at organisation, booking gigs and that type of stuff. These guys can book the best players in town.

I think jazz is to some extent a meritocracy though in that the people at the top have done a phenomenal amount of work on their playing.

Most of us are somewhere in the middle.
    Hum...
    Sometimes it's all about connections.
    You know, I know a guy who... OK... Let's try... He is OK.
    It depends also where you are located.
    It's a bit like a community, they are from the music school you studied, it's OK, he knows a guy who... etc.
    C'est en forgeant que l'on devient forgeron.

The other day I played with someone who played with wonderful musicians, now he's back to his native region.

And I said : "Man you played with the greatest, now you are playing with me, what a career !"

[QUOTE=Lionelsax;893167]

is this British slang?

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=joe2758;893168]

is this British slang?
    Don't call me a British.

User Info Menu

Hum...
    Sometimes it's all about connections.
    You know, I know a guy who... OK... Let's try... He is OK.
    It depends also where you are located.
    It's a bit like a community, they are from the music school you studied, it's OK, he knows a guy who... etc.

The other day I played with someone who played with wonderful musicians, now he's back to his native region.

And I said : "Man you played with the greatest, now you are playing with me, what a career !"
    Sure, it helps to know people, gotta network..

But if you are motherfucker you will get gigs. But obviously not if you stay in your bedroom lol.

User Info Menu

But if you are motherfucker ...
    Sounds like you read the autobiography of Miles Davis
    For those who don't know, that's a Miles Davis adjective not a British slang as far as I know. It's reserved for those who reached the highest level of mastery with their instrument.
    Using it in a sentence: "Bud Powell is a real motherfucker."
    If you're really good, but not a monster, you're earn to the meager title, "bad".
    Sentence: "That guy got the place moving last night, he was real bad." (note, no "motherfucker")

interesting tal, i thought they were interchangable

ive heard bad motherfucker plenty as well, hmmm

User Info Menu

Sure, it helps to know people, gotta network..

But if you are motherfucker you will get gigs. But obviously not if you stay in your bedroom lol.
    - Hey man, that's good, great, where you from, how comes you went the jam session in SADP but M is faraway, how comes you know we were playing ?
    - I'm from T ?
    - Shit ! I thought you were from M.
    - What are you doing there ?
    - I am working.
    - When you go to M call us.
    - But we could play in SADP
    - No... Forget it... There is nothing here.

A call, another guy not far from I live :

- Lionel, I've got a gig...
    - Yes, that's good.
    - I've got a set list... Impressions...
    - Stop, I want you to play it AABA 32 bars...
    - No... those are conventions, I play it the way I want, I've got experience... Trust me... Jazz is not commercial music.
    - Can you tell me when you're comping or soloing because I can't really hear the difference, I need space. Don't forget... on Night And Day, respect AABA form...
    - I don't care I've got experience... Come on... Are you ambitious ? Trust me.
    - Why do you play every blues in C ?
    - It's easier for me, please, don't ask, it's easier on a piano.
    - OK...

We play it's quite OK but not as I would like.

- Come on Lionel, are you ambitious ? I know a bunch of guys ?
    - I have got a set list.
    - Yeah... Yeah.. I know them all.

At the gig...

- I know them but I forgot them... Hey... Blues in C
    - Why ?
    - It's easier on the piano.

But this guy, if he stopped messing around, he would be great... Believe me.

When I've got a gig, he is always there but...

The other ones are too far or need more than one gig.

So... every time, the first words of the conversations are : "Give me a gig."

And it's true there is nothing where I live.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    it’s straight AND laid back. straight meaning even eighth motes, laid back meaning down beats slightly behind and swubg eighths locked in. trust me guys im somewhat of an expert as i figured this out over 2 days ago. in fact speaking of pros, i guess i can consider myself an honorary pro bc i know this secret and know all the cushtie slang.
    Yeah, that's exactly how I'd describe dexter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Yeah, that's exactly how I'd describe dexter.
    When I first start trying my hand at jazz a few years ago, I transcribed Dexter's solo on Herbie's original Watermelon Man recording. Some notes are so far behind the beat I was afraid Dex was going to fall off the podium.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    When I first start trying my hand at jazz a few years ago, I transcribed Dexter's solo on Herbie's original Watermelon Man recording. Some notes are so far behind the beat I was afraid Dex was going to fall off the podium.
    But the spacing is almost dead even, no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    ive heard bad motherfucker plenty as well, hmmm
    The other day a guy called me a motherfucker. But I don't think he had read Miles David's autobiography.

User Info Menu

I read the Miles autobiography about a million years ago.

MF is fairly standard musician slang, and it’s funniest when used by white middle class English dudes.