The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 290

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    A lot of Wes has that sound to my ear. I want to say “choppy”, but that’s not the right word. There’s a subtle gap between the swing eighths that lends itself to a sort of staccato-ish sound.
    I think some of that is possibly due to the thumb. I sometimes use my thumb a bit and it gets that sound more than with a pick.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Funny thing is, I have never thought about any of this stuff much. Just always tried to copy what my heroes did on records, listen, listen, listen, get the same time feel etc.

I suspect they did much the same, though they probably got it on the bandstand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Funny thing is, I have never thought about any of this stuff much. Just always tried to copy what my heroes did on records, listen, listen, listen, get the same time feel etc.

I suspect they did much the same, though they probably got it on the bandstand.
    It’s a time honoured way to do it....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    It’s a time honoured way to do it....
    Yes also it was because I had no books and I didn’t know any better! Probably took a long time though.

I can see that spending to much time on this forum leads people to believe I am a hobbyist? Perhaps I've misunderstood your use of 'we.' I don't mean to be oversensitive. Probably good to get off the forum, I think.

Anyway I'm not playing at Smalls every week. There's pro and there's pro.

Everything I say on this subject, I got from musicians I respect. I can give you links if you like.

Wynton Marsalis uses those terms.

I suggest checking out Do The Math regularly. Learned more from there than anywhere else online.
    No. I meant it mostly the opposite. I meant "we" as in me and others, as a DISTINCTION between what you're doing and the level at which you're doing it. I appreciate the mixing of ability levels here, and I know that some don't like distinctions like "pro". But I DO feel that the distinction is important to make occasionally, especially for my own part. Probably just personal.

I don't know how anyone could ever think you're anything other than a pro. I hope you know that I have more respect for you than almost anyone. I have always considered it a privilege to count a few high level players here - like yourself - as friends.

All the best, always.

Everything I say on this subject, I got from musicians I respect. I can give you links if you like.
    Anyway, sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't intend anything personally directed at you.

What I meant to express was re the fact that often (legitimate) discussions on BEAT PLACEMENT by higher level players get mis-interpreted by ams, who are interpreting basic rhythmic phrasing as being the same things which are being discussed. especially order new triplets . Anyway, that's what got me thinking about it, because that was in the post I quoted of yours.

You can use quarter note triplets to imply a kind of "behind phrasing" feel , but players laying back and playing "behind the beat" generally is a different thing. Anyway, dancing about architecture I guess...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    No. I meant it mostly the opposite. I meant "we" as in me and others, as a DISTINCTION between what you're doing and the level at which you're doing it. I appreciate the mixing of ability levels here, and I know that some don't like distinctions like "pro". But I DO feel that the distinction is important to make occasionally, especially for my own part. Probably just personal.

I don't know how anyone could ever think you're anything other than a pro. I hope you know that I have more respect for you than almost anyone. I have always considered it a privilege to count a few high level players here - like yourself - as friends.

All the best, always.
    That's really kind. I suspected I misinterpreted what you were saying. I think that says more about my state of mind than yours. I hope I wasn't too pissy.

Bit ratty..... I think a few people are?

I also think it's a bogus split. In a way it's not that I even mind people thinking I'm an amateur. I know amateurs on here whose playing I admire.

But being a pro is about other stuff. Im a bit frustrated because I think people are thinking that I am talking about stuff in the abstract, but this is my day at the office. My work is stuff like - how do I swing on that tune that sped up embarrassingly last night? How do I teach this guy who can't come in on the right beat on Sonny Moon For Two how to do it? Let alone make the fella swing. But, I try different stuff and something clicks. Oh man, it's so rewarding. When I chip in here, it's based on that sort of experience.

So when I talk about this stuff, I don't talk just about myself, it's about how I teach and what I have observed. Everyone on this thread without exception can swing if they can't do it already. It's just that they might need a different language for it to click for them.

Joe discovered something. And I joke about saying that stuff for years, but really it's a personal thing, I can't tell him or anyone. You discover it yourself, how many times you've been told it in the abstract. You suddenly realise this thing that people have been telling you - what it ACTUALLY means.

I think watching this Mike Moreno workshop as well as the Pasquale Grasso has put a lot of stuff in perspective. If anything I am not enough of an amateur. It's all about love.

User Info Menu

If I do flounce off I could always come back as some impenetrable alias such as CM77. No one will guess!

User Info Menu

Yes also it was because I had no books and I didn’t know any better! Probably took a long time though.
    Sometimes I think that what looks on the face of it an educational disadvantage is actually an advantage. Less distractions.

If I do flounce off I could always come back as some impenetrable alias such as CM77. No one will guess!
    wizard japes!

User Info Menu

Sometimes I think that what looks on the face of it an educational disadvantage is actually an advantage. Less distractions.
    Yeah there wasn’t even the internet then. At least we had electricity in our house, we were lucky.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    wizard japes!

User Info Menu

That's really kind. I suspected I misinterpreted what you were saying. I think that says more about my state of mind than yours. I hope I wasn't too pissy.

Bit ratty..... I think a few people are?

I also think it's a bogus split. In a way it's not that I even mind people thinking I'm an amateur. I know amateurs on here whose playing I admire.

But being a pro is about other stuff. Im a bit frustrated because I think people are thinking that I am talking about stuff in the abstract, but this is my day at the office. My work is stuff like - how do I swing on that tune that sped up embarrassingly last night? How do I teach this guy who can't come in on the right beat on Sonny Moon For Two how to do it? Let alone make the fella swing. But, I try different stuff and something clicks. Oh man, it's so rewarding. When I chip in here, it's based on that sort of experience.

So when I talk about this stuff, I don't talk just about myself, it's about how I teach and what I have observed. Everyone on this thread without exception can swing if they can't do it already. It's just that they might need a different language for it to click for them.

Joe discovered something. And I joke about saying that stuff for years, but really it's a personal thing, I can't tell him or anyone. You discover it yourself, how many times you've been told it in the abstract. You suddenly realise this thing that people have been telling you - what it ACTUALLY means.

I think watching this Mike Moreno workshop as well as the Pasquale Grasso has put a lot of stuff in perspective. If anything I am not enough of an amateur. It's all about love.
    Something about this post just nails it for me. You've put a lot of self-awareness, perspective, and experience into this statement. I always follow your comments with interest as you bridge the world of the pro player and the enthusiasts like many of us here so well. You share a lot of trade-secrets that have helped a lot of us in small, incremental ways but cumulative, it has added up, certainly for me.

I think if someone confused you for an amateur, it might be that you come across as one still so much on the learning curve, still discovering so much, that it's easy to miss the experience that is in the background.

You are one of the reasons I keep coming to the forum. Don't ever leave, please!

And I think you'd really like an Epiphone ES175 Premium! Just sayin'

my next thread will be “i think i finally figured out some british slang”

User Info Menu

not ’arf!

not ’arf!
    well that’s a new one there innit

User Info Menu

it’s well ‘ard! it’s the bleedin’ dog’s!

User Info Menu

But being a pro is about other stuff.
    Being a pro is to get paid for what you do, even if you do it bad.

User Info Menu

Generally of you do it bad you don't get a repeat call tho. This is what I have found... So there's an incentive to get stuff together..

User Info Menu

Generally of you do it bad you don't get a repeat call tho. This is what I have found... So there's an incentive to get stuff together..
    They generally call again when it's cheap or free !

User Info Menu

Joe -

It's time you got your ass over here and explored some linguistic delights first-hand.

P.S. If you really want some fun try Glasgow :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Joe -

It's time you got your ass over here and explored some linguistic delights first-hand.

P.S. If you really want some fun try Glasgow :-)

The first time and the last time I had been in the UK, I had spent it in Wales in a very Welsh family, I had stayed there for 10 days. They only spoke Welsh except with myself.

User Info Menu

That would be North Wales, probably. Very nice scenery generally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    That would be North Wales, probably. Very nice scenery generally.
    No, South West, a village called Tenby, a very known village I think.
    i think i finally figured out how to swing-telechargement-1-jpeg
    This is Tenby and myself.

User Info Menu

On the "pro" thing, I have my own distinction. As an amateur or hobby player, I probably have moments in my playing where I nail it as well as any pro. But... the pro has to nail it every time. The pro has to deliver a constant level of quality in a reliable way, every time. You have to be able to play the same song so many times, and make it seem fresh each time. You have to avoid getting into a rut, but in staying fresh, avoid becoming weird or getting off your best game. You have to please others with your music in a way that I as a hobby player don't need to. I can take two weeks off and not play. I can do other stuff. But the pro player rarely can afford a long stretch away from their instrument.

I have a ton of respect for musicians who can keep up a solid level of quality in their playing gig after gig, be good at teaching lesson after lesson with often unrewarding and mediocre students and always have to be hustling to figure out how to keep a livable income going while pursuing music. That's gotta be one of the hardest jobs out there.

You guys who do that deserve the name "pro" because that's exactly what you are.