The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

Robert Conti Ticket To Improv Volume 3, Bonus Project ("The Rummy!")

The Robert Conti Study Group is now working on Ticket To Improv, Volume 3: The Blues!

This is the thread for the Bonus Project ("The Rummy!")

All are welcome.

Our study group has evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:

• We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for, but positive advice is helpful.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

This project is a bit different than previous Conti TTI projects. It essentially consists of an 8 bar head played twice and then we are left to improvise over a 12 bar blues progression.

Here is a proposed schedule for posting:
    August 14: Measures 1-16 (The 8 bar head is played twice)
    August 21: Chorus 1 of 12 Bar Blues changes.
    August 28: Chorus 2 of 12 Bar Blues changes.
    September 4: Final Take: Full 16 Bar Head with as many choruses as you like!

If you are planning to do this, please post a simple "I'm In!" or something like it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Robert Conti Ticket To Improv Volume 3, Bonus Project ("The Rummy!")

The Robert Conti Study Group is now working on Ticket To Improv, Volume 3: The Blues!

This is the thread for the Bonus Project ("The Rummy!")

All are welcome.

Our study group has evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:

• We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for, but positive advice is helpful.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

This project is a bit different than previous Conti TTI projects. It essentially consists of an 8 bar head played twice and then we are left to improvise over a 12 bar blues progression.

Here is a proposed schedule for posting:
    August 14: Measures 1-16 (The 8 bar head is played twice)
    August 21: Chorus 1 of 12 Bar Blues changes.
    August 28: Chorus 2 of 12 Bar Blues changes.
    September 4: Final Take: Full 16 Bar Head with as many choruses as you like!

If you are planning to do this, please post a simple "I'm In!" or something like it.
    I’m in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I'm thinking about it, I may need some help with the backing track though.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    I'm thinking about it, I may need some help with the backing track though.
    Hi Andy,

The Conti DVD contains 2 backing tracks for The Rummy.
    1. the-rummy-rhythm.mp3
    2. the-rummy-rhythm.mid

Both tracks are in the MUSIC folder on the DVD.

Hope that helps!

Here is my take on the first 16 bars of the Bonus Project. I found it to be deceptively tricky, especially executing the octaves cleanly. Conti plays it at 114 bpm but I had to take it down to 109 bpm.

My plan is to spend the next 3 weeks adding 12 bar blues solos to the 16 bar head. I hope to post new videos if/when I get a clean take.

Cheers,
    Joe

User Info Menu

Here is my effort, I had forgotten how difficult it is to get something recorded that is acceptable. And I am not happy with this at all, as Joe said it is harder than it looks, I find the speed and the octaves difficult, but I suppose we are here to learn.
    I intend to do the watermelon man solo.

andyb

Here is my effort, I had forgotten how difficult it is to get something recorded that is acceptable. And I am not happy with this at all, as Joe said it is harder than it looks, I find the speed and the octaves difficult, but I suppose we are here to learn.
    I intend to do the watermelon man solo.
    andyb
    Well played Andy! It was clean and in rhythm. I liked your tone and the descending octave run at the end was a nice touch. The best thing about the blues is that it sounds good at any speed.

Here is my take on the 16 bar head plus the 12 bar solo from Conti's Complimentary Blues Video Lesson. I played it at an optimistic 114 bpm.

Note: I'm using this project to learn/re-learn 12 bar blues solos to use in conjunction with the head from "The Rummy!". So I hope to post new videos if/when I get a clean take on a new solo.

User Info Menu

Here is my take on the 16 bar head plus the 12 bar solo from Conti's Complimentary Blues Video Lesson. I played it at an optimistic 114 bpm.

Note: I'm using this project to learn/re-learn 12 bar blues solos to use in conjunction with the head from "The Rummy!". So I hope to post new videos if/when I get a clean take on a new solo.
    Nice one! Enjoyed that. I notice you do something that I do too: tap the pickup with the pick while playing. It's a habit I can't seem to shake.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Nice one! Enjoyed that. I notice you do something that I do too: tap the pickup with the pick while playing. It's a habit I can't seem to shake.
    Thanks Mark! I never noticed the pickup tap, but you're right. I will check that out during my next practice session. I do know that my leg is always tapping! I can't seem to keep it still. Cheers. Joe

User Info Menu

That was great !!
    Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

the Rummy and the first 8 bars of the Watermelon man solo.

User Info Menu

I noticed you had a good rhythmic groove on that one. Well done.

Here is another take on "The Rummy!" 16 bar head plus two 12 bar solos (bpm: 108).

First solo: from Conti's Complimentary Blues Video Lesson
    Second solo: from Conti's TTI Volume 3 Project 1 (bars 13-24)

Nothing really new here other than combining two Conti blues solos that I like. For the next couple of solos/videos, I will be tackling some new material.

I think I am going to change my tag line to:
    "I used to have headaches every time I played octaves." - Wes Montgomery

User Info Menu

Here is my take on the first 16 bars of the Bonus Project. I found it to be deceptively tricky, especially executing the octaves cleanly. Conti plays it at 114 bpm but I had to take it down to 109 bpm.

Cheers,
    Joe
    The music says 114 but the backing track on my DVD is 120bpm (I lined it up in my DAW). Too fast for me finger-style, so it's back to the pick.

User Info Menu

Here is my take:

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Here is my take:
    I was highly anticipating your take Frank. You did not disappoint! Very impressive, especially at 120 bpm.

User Info Menu

Thanks Joe. I figure I ain't done yet...

I want to come up with a recording of a couple of choruses of solo inspired by the Robert Conti "style" of this course. To that end, I'm going to review all of the solos and perhaps use some of those lines and write some lines of my own for a final recording.

User Info Menu

Here is my take:

Great stuff Fep, thanks for that.

I noticed that you altered the fingering from that written for the triplets, Conti uses a similar triplet idea in volume 1 Green Dolphin Street bars 21 & 22 again across two strings. I found that difficult to play quickly, and I altered the fingering as you have done, to play it on one string.
    This time I am trying to persevere with the fingering as written, because I think Conti is trying to teach me something with this approach, but I am nor sure what?

I am particularly impressed with your octave playing and your ability to strum the strings, sounds great.
    When I try it that way I can never seem to dampen the strings that I don't want to sound.

andyb

User Info Menu

Great stuff Fep, thanks for that.

I noticed that you altered the fingering from that written for the triplets, Conti uses a similar triplet idea in volume 1 Green Dolphin Street bars 21 & 22 again across two strings. I found that difficult to play quickly, and I altered the fingering as you have done, to play it on one string.
    This time I am trying to persevere with the fingering as written, because I think Conti is trying to teach me something with this approach, but I am nor sure what?

I am particularly impressed with your octave playing and your ability to strum the strings, sounds great.
    When I try it that way I can never seem to dampen the strings that I don't want to sound.

andyb
    If you play the triplet on two strings it becomes a good string skipping exercise. String skipping is a big part of the Tom Grady "Cracking the Code" videos which break down the technique of really fast guitar pickers. I don't have the ability to play very fast so I was just finding the easiest way to pick the triplets.

The strumming extra strings is a Wes Montgomery technique that I was going for (although he does it with his thumb).

Thanks for the comments.

User Info Menu

My final project for Ticket to Improv. Vol 3

I play several choruses of my own with many of the lines influenced by Robert Conti. See if you can find them...

Last edited by fep; 02-28-2019 at 08:30 PM.

My final project for Ticket to Improv. Vol 3
    I play several choruses of my own with many of the lines influenced by Robert Conti. See if you can find them...
    Wow Frank, that was terrific! The singing, the writing, the playing, the tone, the split video, the Howard Roberts sunglasses, even a picture of the dog... The only thing missing was a mic drop and walk-off.

You have set the bar very high. I'm glad I have a few more days to try and record something respectable.

Congrats on a great final!

User Info Menu

Well done Frank, that was great.
    Time for me to lower the bar then. Here is my vid of the Rummymelonman.

andyb

Well done Frank, that was great.
    Time for me to lower the bar then. Here is my vid of the Rummymelonman.
    andyb
    Well played Andy! You got through the pesky head and the Watermelon Man solo fit like a glove. Congrats. It's good to have you back posting videos. Cheers.