The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 142 of 142
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    ... with VKat being the Sacha Baron Cohen of jazz guitar.
    Is that a complement or what? Why to insult people with an honest and sincere attitude like me?
    Yes, I'm learning and want to find out as much as I can with the help of this forum but I never intended my questions to be comical. I don't do this for fun.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This thread is really beginning to look like a comic set up, with VKat being the Sacha Baron Cohen of jazz guitar.

Drawing people off sides (to borrow a football term), for fun?

Hmmm.
    Would that it were true...

John

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Resolutions are typically chord tones or consonant extensions. Sometimes a #11.
    There are composers who will end a tune on a #5, but you don't hear that much anymore.
    I can't recall resolutions on b7 or b9. Maybe #9, though.
    But, I thought this conversation was about more than resolutions.
    My point, in response to a question about which minor scale to use, is that great players often mix them up.
    One of the things I still wonder about Jazz is why resolutions on something else other than the triad being the basis of harmonic structure are called "resolutions"?
    For instance in this thread many times a "resolution on the 9th" was suggested. 9th (Maj 2nd) is pretty high in Harmonic Series above the fundamental, in fact it's the 9th harmonic and it's considered a dissonance in the Common Practice Period for a good reason.

When you start to call it a "consonant extension" how do you perceive its consonant qualities? I mean to me it sounds as a dissonance but...

Do Jazzers extend their perception on what is "consonant"? Does it happen naturally? I mean all these terms are relative of course but the Harmonic Series are a fact and they clearly outline where a given interval in respect to the Root is located. The farther away from the fundamental the more dissonant it is.
    The resolution is a quiet place, it stands no tension, no need to move on, to resolve further.
    Naturally we want to settle down on a triad which is the most stable and consonant harmony.

Maybe this term also has a relative meaning? For instance, a "resolution" on the 9th is definitely a resolution compared to a "resolution" on the b9th.

Once again, I'm not asking this question for fun. It directly relates to my earlier post that still wasn't addressed. Let me remind you about it:

I asked you about why it is common to "resolve" in minor on the min 6/9 chord. In C-min it is:
    C-Eb-A-D. As I mentioned before this harmony sounds tense and unresolved to me. There are 2 reasons for that:
    1. The tritone betweeb Eb-A. The tritone is always in need of resolution.
    2. C-D containing the 9th I've just mentioned.

I can accept the idea of a "relative resolution" but how far can one go with extending his acceptance of what can be safely considered as a "reasonable resolution" ?

Please note that with this question of mine I'm not steering away from my original subject, not even by an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Of course you can play any note on any chord. But what are the resolutions?
    Thank you Mr. B. I'm with you.
    Last edited by VKat; 07-13-2018 at 08:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    You can play anything you like on a dominant provided you know how to resolve.
    Exactly! That's what I'm saying...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VKat
    One of the things I still wonder about Jazz is why resolutions on something else other than the triad being the basis of harmonic structure are called "resolutions"?
    For instance in this thread many times a "resolution on the 9th" was suggested. 9th (Maj 2nd) is pretty high in Harmonic Series above the fundamental, in fact it's the 9th harmonic and it's considered a dissonance in the Common Practice Period for a good reason.

When you start to call it a "consonant extension" how do you perceive its consonant qualities? I mean to me it sounds as a dissonance but...

Do Jazzers extend their perception on what is "consonant"? Does it happen naturally? I mean all these terms are relative of course but the Harmonic Series are a fact and they clearly outline where a given interval in respect to the Root is located. The farther away from the fundamental the more dissonant it is.
    The resolution is a quiet place, it stands no tension, no need to move on, to resolve further.
    Naturally we want to settle down on a triad which is the most stable and consonant harmony.

Maybe this term also has a relative meaning? For instance, a "resolution" on the 9th is definitely a resolution compared to a "resolution" on the b9th.

Once again, I'm not asking this question for fun. It directly relates to my earlier post that still wasn't addressed. Let me remind you about it:

I asked you about why it is common to "resolve" in minor on the min 6/9 chord. In C-min it is:
    C-Eb-A-D. As I mentioned before this harmony sounds tense and unresolved to me. There are 2 reasons for that:

I can accept the idea of a "relative resolution" but how far can one go with extending his acceptance of what can be safely considered as a "reasonable resolution" ?

Please note that with this question of mine I'm not steering away from my original subject, not even by an inch.

I think it sounds unresolved to you because you're not used to it. That simple.

You're still using your classical harmony lens.

Now, out of curiosity, try this:

Play iim7b5--V7alt--im7

Then iim7b5--V7alt---im6/9

What sounds more like a point of resolution now?

User Info Menu

BTW Jeff, Jazz IS magic. Like actual MAGIC.

But as with all magic, you have to observe the rituals.

User Info Menu

Is that a complement or what? Why to insult people with an honest and sincere attitude like me?
    Yes, I'm learning and want to find out as much as I can with the help of this forum but I never intended my questions to be comical. I don't do this for fun.
    I would hope that you do it for fun on some level, I mean why bother otherwise? I can say from bitter experience there is neither money, nor chicks, nor really much blow in this line of endeavour...

Anyway, given I think we've been pretty consistent in our advice, irrelevant digressions aside, and now it is up to you to FLIPPING WELL GET ON WITH IT. STOP PROCRASTINATING. You know what you have to do, even though you don't like it. It's like going to the gym.

We are here to help when you have something concrete - i.e. actual music, recorded or written, whatever.

STOP PROCRASTINATING. You know what you have to do, even though you don't like it. It's like going to the gym.
    We are here to help when you have something concrete - i.e. actual music, recorded or written, whatever.
    Chris - good and wise words but remember some people are more prone to procrastinating (such a powerful word! - I like it) than others. I'm a well known procrastinator within my circles to be honest. To me procrastination is like a prelude and the actual action is more like the end of an endeavor.
    Please don't be angry with me for that. That's the way I am. No jokes, I'm telling you who I actually am and I'm at the age when it's impossible to change myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Now, out of curiosity, try this:

Play iim7b5--V7alt--im7

Then iim7b5--V7alt---im6/9

What sounds more like a point of resolution now?
    Jeff - I see what you are getting at. Even without playing it (I'll explore it later when I'm with my guitar) and at the moment simply procrastinating but looking at the harmonies I can see that both b5 and #5 (b13) of the V Alt will nicely "resolve" on the 9th of 'i' and either b9 or #9 of the V Alt will gravitate towards the 6th of the 'i'.

Yes, that sounds like a "relative resolution" I've mentioned above. The only problem for me now is to extend my feel of the consonance beyond the basic triad. I can't help looking for resolution of the 9th so far.
    And that tritone...

...I can say from bitter experience there is neither money, nor chicks,
    By the way I prefer to stay away from chicks because once you get at least some money they'll suck it out.

User Info Menu

I am starting to get a cluster headache.

User Info Menu

"Resolving"? ---> Voice Leading.

"Expanded consonance for jazzers?" ---> late 19th century Euro art music (heck, even earlier).

"Consonant extensions?" ---> Available tensions.

"Tritone always in need of resolution"? ---> refer to the thousands of performances of Jazz Blues tunes which end on a dominant chord, often with tensions. (9, 13)

Your first post was focused on the IminMaj7 being the "go to" chord for minor II-V-I. But that was incorrect and we established that many posts ago. It's more frequently a Imi or Imi7.

"Expanded consonance for jazzers?" ---> late 19th century Euro art music (heck, even earlier).

"Consonant extensions?" ---> Available tensions.

"Tritone always in need of resolution"? ---> refer to the thousands of performances of Jazz Blues tunes which end on a dominant chord, often with tensions. (9, 13)
    First, regarding Classical: you are right but I'd say Romantic period composers began to loosen up the tradition and later figures like Ravel and Debussy pushed it even further. Yes, Debussy's unresolved chordal "extensions" are not much different from the Jazz harmony.
    However, to be honest I have not much appreciation for the Classical music past JS Bach. Well, Mozart and Bethoven and their contemporaries are still fine for me though.

Blues: Yes, blues is a completely different story, it's in its own class for me. Blues is a folk music and Jazz-Blues of course bridges the gap.

Anyway - thank you everyone for participating in this discussion. I got very interesting and useful advice from you all!
    I'm on my way to break out of procrastination and explore all your great advice!

User Info Menu

Oi VKat - STOP TALKING AND WORK OUT SOME LINES. DEXTER GORDON OR HANK MOBLEY.

Oi VKat - STOP TALKING AND WORK OUT SOME LINES. DEXTER GORDON OR HANK MOBLEY.
    Yes! - I should! - I play sax as well and it's an instrument specifically dedicated to lines.
    Thank you for shaking me up Chris!

User Info Menu

I made up the term "consonant extensions". I thought the meaning was clear enough. It may be the same thing that other people call "extensions"

I could have said "notes of the 13th chord", since those are the notes that I consider "consonant".

Other notes (typically called "tensions") seem less consonant to me, but some more than others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I made up the term "consonant extensions". I thought the meaning was clear enough. It may be the same thing that other people call "extensions"

I could have said "notes of the 13th chord", since those are the notes that I consider "consonant".

Other notes (typically called "tensions") seem less consonant to me, but some more than others.
    Yeah, I agree....

TBH the only extensions I acknowledge are those on the major and minor chords. (Well maybe the lyd dom depending what day of the week it is.)

Everything else is voiceleading.