The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

The Robert Conti Study Group is now working on Ticket To Improv, Volume 3: The Blues!

This is the thread for Project 2B (All Blues): An entry level improvised solo based on the chord progression to Miles Davis' All Blues.

All are welcome.

Our study group has evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:

• We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for, but positive advice is helpful.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

Here is a proposed schedule for posting:

May 29: Measures 1-8
    June 5: Measures 9-16
    June 12: Measures 17-24
    June 19: Final Take (2B)
    June 30: Bonus: Project 2A + 2B

If you are planning to do this, please post a simple "I'm In!" or something like it.
    Last edited by losaltosjoe; 06-07-2018 at 01:26 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    The Robert Conti Study Group is now working on Ticket To Improv, Volume 3: The Blues!

This is the thread for Project 2B (All Blues): An entry level improvised solo based on the chord progression to Miles Davis' All Blues.

All are welcome.

Our study group has evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:

• We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for, but positive advice is helpful.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

Here is a proposed schedule for posting:

May 29: Measures 1-8
    June 5: Measures 9-16
    June 12: Measures 17-24
    June 19: Final Take

If you are planning to do this, please post a simple "I'm In!" or something like it.
    I am in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I'm in. Was wondering if this ship had already sailed and I missed it!

Promising to be a very wet weekend (-tropical storm in the Gulf could produce 6-8 inches of rain where I live), so staying in and practicing this seems like a good idea.

Time to get this project started! Here is my take on bars 1-8. Happy Memorial Day!

User Info Menu

Here's mine for mm. 1-16. I didn't intend to do 16, but I got to watching the video and I enjoy Conti's presentation so much, I didn't get around to turning it off until I'd done 16 measures. I am still struggling with the 3/4 time and I still don't "feel it" very well. I'm playing the time very mechanically just trying to get the notes on the right beats, but I don't feel the 3/4 very well. Which is a good reason to be doing it.

Any suggestions for how to count or feel this time are welcome.

I do enjoy the sound of this Epiphone Zephyr Regent with the OLD 1990's Benedetto B6 (Kent Armstrong made!) pickup through the DVMark Little Jazz amp.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Here's mine for mm. 1-16. I didn't intend to do 16, but I got to watching the video and I enjoy Conti's presentation so much, I didn't get around to turning it off until I'd done 16 measures. I am still struggling with the 3/4 time and I still don't "feel it" very well. I'm playing the time very mechanically just trying to get the notes on the right beats, but I don't feel the 3/4 very well. Which is a good reason to be doing it.

Any suggestions for how to count or feel this time are welcome.

I do enjoy the sound of this Epiphone Zephyr Regent with the OLD 1990's Benedetto B6 (Kent Armstrong made!) pickup through the DVMark Little Jazz amp.
    You nailed it Lawson! I enjoyed your playing and the sound of the guitar/amp. BTW, I'm also struggling with the 3/4 time. I'm spending quite a bit of time just counting out the phrases. Cheers.

User Info Menu

You nailed it Lawson! I enjoyed your playing and the sound of the guitar/amp. BTW, I'm also struggling with the 3/4 time. I'm spending quite a bit of time just counting out the phrases. Cheers.
    Thanks that's really, really encouraging. I just literally calculated how many beats between phrases! So after that Bb-G in m4 I literally count "1-2-3 AND" regardless of what actual beat. Then in measure 9, i know to count 1 1/2 beats before the C, the G/C in m12 has to come on 2, with 1 1/2 beats before the phase in m13. Nobody can say I have a stereotypical waltz feel for this! It's what the old airplane pilots called "dead reckoning"-keep the compass on a setting, multiply speed by time, compensate for wind, that's where you should be...

I'm loving this cheap Epi ZR all out of proportion to what it cost me. What a fun guitar.

User Info Menu

Lawson,
    It doesn’t matter that you had to work for it, your 3/4 feel is good imo

User Info Menu

Well done Lawson, good tone and time. I'm inspired to get back to this now (I've been side-tracked on recording a tune).

User Info Menu

My 1st 8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Lawson,
    It doesn’t matter that you had to work for it, your 3/4 feel is good imo
    Hey that hits me right where I needed it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    My 1st 8
    Very cool take on the first 8 Frank!

Here is my take on bars 1-16. I tried a different backing track (from Hal Leonard) and used my Gibson ES-175. I'm still struggling with the 3/4 time...but still having fun.

User Info Menu

Here is my take on bars 1-16. I tried a different backing track (from Hal Leonard) and used my Gibson ES-175. I'm still struggling with the 3/4 time...but still having fun.

I really like those Hal Leonard “Real Book” backing tracks. That’s the one I’m using. “All Blues” is tricky because it has that transitional 4 measures, we’re playing 3/4 for 6/8, counting measures gets a little weird. But just playing with that track has helped me a lot.

User Info Menu

This is my final post. On Sunday, I leave for Israel with students for 6 weeks of travel, study, and archaeological excavation with the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. I won't have a guitar along, so I'll be taking a little sabbatical from jazz guitar while I focus on research in Israel.

So here is the head and solos 2A and 2B. I'm still missing some of the phrases, still a little uncertain on the time, but I have to "declare victory and get out!"

This is my final post. On Sunday, I leave for Israel with students for 6 weeks of travel, study, and archaeological excavation with the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. I won't have a guitar along, so I'll be taking a little sabbatical from jazz guitar while I focus on research in Israel.

So here is the head and solos 2A and 2B. I'm still missing some of the phrases, still a little uncertain on the time, but I have to "declare victory and get out!"
    Hi Lawson - Once again you've outdone yourself! I loved how you were able to pull together all of Project 2 including the head to the tune. It just all worked for me.

I think I will still be working on this project when you return in 6 weeks...

Good luck and safe travels to Jerusalem. It sounds fascinating.

Regards,
    Joe

User Info Menu

BTW you might find this story interesting: this is a find from our excavation from last year, very cool.

Biblical Era King

Here is my take on the full solo for Project 2B, bars 1-24. I'm not completely happy with the result but wanted to post something to stay on schedule.

I'm hoping to post one more video with the full 48 bars from Project 2 before moving on.

Here is my final take on Volume 3, Project 2 (All Blues). The head is from a Richie Zellon YouTube lesson. The solo is straight from Conti's Ticket To Improv Projects 2A and 2B.

For this recording, I used my 1957 Gibson ES 175 through an early 80's Polytone Mini Brute with just a touch of reverb via a TC Electronics' Hall of Fame reverb pedal. As with all my videos, I recorded it using Windows Movie Maker and a Blue Yeti USB microphone.

I'll be traveling next week but will set up the thread for Volume 3, Project 3 (Watermelon Man) when I return (first week of July).

User Info Menu

Here is my final take on Volume 3, Project 2 (All Blues). The head is from a Richie Zellon YouTube lesson. The solo is straight from Conti's Ticket To Improv Projects 2A and 2B.

For this recording, I used my 1957 Gibson ES 175 through an early 80's Polytone Mini Brute with just a touch of reverb via a TC Electronics' Hall of Fame reverb pedal. As with all my videos, I recorded it using Windows Movie Maker and a Blue Yeti USB microphone.

I'll be traveling next week but will set up the thread for Volume 3, Project 3 (Watermelon Man) when I return (first week of July).
    Well done! The time on this is tricky but you got through the maze!

Well done! The time on this is tricky but you got through the maze!
    Thanks Lawson and no kidding! I found Project 2 to be deceptively tricky. I had no practical experience with 6/8 time before this project. And at my age, memorizing 48 bars and getting it to sound somewhat musical is always difficult. I hope your travels are going well. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson and no kidding! I found Project 2 to be deceptively tricky. I had no practical experience with 6/8 time before this project. And at my age, memorizing 48 bars and getting it to sound somewhat musical is always difficult. I hope your travels are going well. Cheers.
    Ditto that on the time. Let's just say mine did not sound "hokey 3/4 or 6/8" because it was only barely correct as 3/4 or 6/8.

Trip is going excellently. On the road with students from dawn till dark in the southern steppe and desert regions of Israel, then up the Dead Sea, stopping at Masada, En Gedi, Qumran (Dead Sea Scrolls place) among others. We have another week of intense field study up in the Galilee, then it's off for 3 weeks of archaeological excavation! Then I return home and resume my role as mild mannered, slightly boring professor of Hebrew Bible and biblical history. And sometime mediocre jazz guitarist!

User Info Menu

I finally found time to sit down and record! You guys sound great. I like how measures 13 thru 16 of project 2A contains the same lick as measures 3 thru 5 of Autumn Leaves from TTI Vol. 1, but in 6/8 time and on a different string set, which changes the fingering slightly. Oh, and you may notice I'm playing my new Conti Entrada guitar! I'm sure having fun with it!

Also, it's funny how I can play a solo a dozen times through perfectly, cool as a cucumber. But as soon as I hit the Record button, I get nervous and have a hard time getting through it. But at least I'm not alone. I've heard others say the same thing. I just put a lot of pressure on myself I guess. I would like to have tried another take of this one, but I ran out of time and had to go pick up the kids from Vacation Bible School.

Is there a thread yet for Project 3? I've already started working on it. It's only 16 bars and pretty simple as written, but Mr. Conti spends a lot of time on the video showing ways to spice it up, and just talking about improvisation in general. I haven't finished watching the DVD for this one yet, but I think it's going to be a fun one.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dio666
    I finally found time to sit down and record! You guys sound great. I like how measures 13 thru 16 of project 2A contains the same lick as measures 3 thru 5 of Autumn Leaves from TTI Vol. 1, but in 6/8 time and on a different string set, which changes the fingering slightly. Oh, and you may notice I'm playing my new Conti Entrada guitar! I'm sure having fun with it!
    Hi Chris -- I really enjoyed your take on Project 2 (All Blues). You did it with some pace! And a big congrats on the new Conti Guitar.

Also, it's funny how I can play a solo a dozen times through perfectly, cool as a cucumber. But as soon as I hit the Record button, I get nervous and have a hard time getting through it. But at least I'm not alone. I've heard others say the same thing. I just put a lot of pressure on myself I guess. I would like to have tried another take of this one, but I ran out of time.
    I hear you on the difficulty of getting through the entire project with the Record button on. I'm always hoping to record a better take but run out of time. Congrats, you did it!

Is there a thread yet for Project 3? I've already started working on it. It's only 16 bars and pretty simple as written, but Mr. Conti spends a lot of time on the video showing ways to spice it up, and just talking about improvisation in general. I haven't finished watching the DVD for this one yet, but I think it's going to be a fun one.
    I will post a new thread for Volume 3, Project 3 (Watermelon Man) this weekend. I'm traveling through Saturday.

I agree the next project looks like a fun one. The solo is only 16 bars but Conti presents 3 varied rhythm section chord progressions and (as you mentioned) some cool ideas to spice up the solo.

I have posted the new thread for Robert Conti's Ticket To Improv Volume 3, Project 3 (Watermelon Man).

Robert Conti TTI Vol 3, Project 3 (Watermelon Man)

This one should be a hoot!