The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

The Robert Conti Study Group is now working on Ticket To Improv, Volume 3: The Blues!

This is the thread for Project 2A (All Blues): An entry level improvised solo based on the chord progression to Miles Davis' All Blues.

All are welcome.

Our study group has evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:

• We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for, but positive advice is helpful.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

Here is a proposed schedule for posting:

April 24: Measures 1-8
    May 1: Measures 9-16
    May 8: Measures 17-24
    May 15: Final Take

If you are planning to do this, please post a simple "I'm In!" or something like it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm in!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    The Robert Conti Study Group is now working on Ticket To Improv, Volume 3: The Blues!

This is the thread for Project 2A (All Blues): An entry level improvised solo based on the chord progression to Miles Davis' All Blues.

All are welcome.

Our study group has evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:

• We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for, but positive advice is helpful.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

Here is a proposed schedule for posting:

April 24: Measures 1-8
    May 1: Measures 9-16
    May 8: Measures 17-24
    May 15: Final Take

If you are planning to do this, please post a simple "I'm In!" or something like it.
    I’m in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I'm in, too!

-Chris

User Info Menu

I'm in

User Info Menu

I must confess, I've only been using the pdf that Lawson sent me until today. I finally unwrapped the dvd and started to watch.

I thought the "Lets talk changes" was an entirely different course that you all had done previously. That's why I thought I didn't have it and did my own bit. Now I know. losaltosjoe was clear in his writing on that post, I just wasn't clear in my reading.

User Info Menu

This is an awesome line.

This weeks assignment:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    This is an awesome line.

This weeks assignment:

Frank,
    I really appreciate the way you articulate your lines. In that opening triplet figure, for example, you made it very musical and interesting. I would tend to just hammer it out, correctly and with good timing, but not as musically as you. Something for me to work on.

-Chris

This is an awesome line.

This weeks assignment:
    Well played Frank! Can't wait until I'm back in town to tackle this project.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dio666
    Frank,
    I really appreciate the way you articulate your lines. In that opening triplet figure, for example, you made it very musical and interesting. I would tend to just hammer it out, correctly and with good timing, but not as musically as you. Something for me to work on.

-Chris
    Thanks for the kind words. What you said is a good reminder to myself. In the pursuit of speed it's easy to forget about musicality. Another thing about playing at slower tempos is I'm able to play fingerstyle (I can play faster with a pick). I like the tone I get playing fingerstyle over the tone I get with a pick.
    Last edited by fep; 04-25-2018 at 06:13 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It may be time to have Dirk (or Matt) "stick" this thread and unstick the one for "12 Bar Blues."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Good job Mark. Nice tone from the Guit. I'm guessing you recorded a little too hot, I'm hearing some clipping. Time is good on those first eight.

User Info Menu

It was easier to just record all 24

User Info Menu

Good job Mark. Nice tone from the Guit. I'm guessing you recorded a little too hot, I'm hearing some clipping. Time is good on those first eight.
    Thanks, fep. As for the recording, I have no idea what I'm doing. I turn on my amp (Fender Mustang) in a way that bypasses the normal settings. It's the cleanest tone you can get from it. And it's not loud. The mic is on the floor near the amp. (The backing track comes through the amp too, via an iPhone.)

Maybe the mic is too close to the amp?

Hi Group,

I'm finally back home and hope to catch up over the next week or so. Here's my take on Volume 3, Project 2A Bars 1-8.

Here's my take on Volume 3, Project 2A Bars 1-16.

User Info Menu

I worked on this solo today but didn't record it. Plan to tomorrow. It's a tasty solo. Really enjoying it.

User Info Menu

Was playing from memory (or trying to) and got ahead of myself near the end. Another week just might do it....

User Info Menu

Hi All
    Due to a lot of pressure at work, I am going to have to sit out the rest of the Blues volume of our Robert Conti series. I plan to jump back in in late summer, but between now and the end of July, I'm under a lot of pressure at work and time to process new material will be rare to non-existent.

I hope to get back in the groove with you in vol. 4!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Hi All
    Due to a lot of pressure at work, I am going to have to sit out the rest of the Blues volume of our Robert Conti series. I plan to jump back in in late summer, but between now and the end of July, I'm under a lot of pressure at work and time to process new material will be rare to non-existent.

"...but time and chance happeneth to them all..."

Hope you'll at least be able to pop in and tell us how good we sound. ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Hi All

Hi Lawson, We'll leave the light on for you! Good luck with work. Hope to see you soon.

User Info Menu

Heya,

Great study group! I only have TTI-1 and The Jazz Lines and unfortunately only now became aware of this study group. If you guys have a plan to revisit the previous DVDS, to further ingrain the lines, I am definitely in!

Since you guys are already so far in I am curious what the Conti method is like? What is the methodology? I feel like there is a method to his madness so to speak. While it looks like you are just learning his solo's note for note don't you learn his melodic devices? For example, one of the lines he plays in All Blues (posted above, great job guys!) he also plays in Autumn Leaves. So he uses the same lines over different tunes and chords. Is that the method? Besides, I read that the advanced solo dvd's contain the same lines as the TTI dvds but faster and they are longer (more notes added)? Is this true?

I also have The Jazz Lines where he talk about using maj7 shapes as a framework (in combination with augmented and diminished triads) to generate lines. Doesn't Pat Martino does almost the same but he converts everything to minor instead? Do you plan on doing a The Jazz Lines study group too btw? While the dvd is great, discussing the ideas in it is a great way to get the most out of it I think.

And finally, I agree that the lines sound pretty corny. I really love Benson and Wes style playing and I was curious how easy it is to morph the lines into that style? I also assume that if you know Conti's vocabulary picking up other peoples lines is much easier right?

Thanks and keep it up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lark

Great study group! I only have TTI-1 and The Jazz Lines and unfortunately only now became aware of this study group. If you guys have a plan to revisit the previous DVDS, to further ingrain the lines, I am definitely in!

Since you guys are already so far in I am curious what the Conti method is like? What is the methodology? I feel like there is a method to his madness so to speak. While it looks like you are just learning his solo's note for note don't you learn his melodic devices?
    Yes, that's a big part of it. We haven't done a study group on "Jazz Lines" yet. (I have that and it's very good.) Maybe we'll move on to that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Yes, that's a big part of it. We haven't done a study group on "Jazz Lines" yet. (I have that and it's very good.) Maybe we'll move on to that!
    Thanks for the quick reply! That would be great! While I understand most of the info in the jazz lines I am curious how to use if over certain progressions like secondary dominants and modal interchange (bVII and ivminor chords etc).

Perhaps I am thinking too much. I've read that people suggest first learning and really internalizing all the lines from TTI and the advanced solos DVD's and only then start looking at The Jazz Lines dvd. Conti even says this himself on the dvd: "You have to get it into your hands first and then you can analyze it".

While I agree and trust Conti completely I was just curious if some people already went through this process and what the end result was.