The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lark
    Heya,

Great study group! I only have TTI-1 and The Jazz Lines and unfortunately only now became aware of this study group. If you guys have a plan to revisit the previous DVDS, to further ingrain the lines, I am definitely in!

Since you guys are already so far in I am curious what the Conti method is like? What is the methodology? I feel like there is a method to his madness so to speak. While it looks like you are just learning his solo's note for note don't you learn his melodic devices? For example, one of the lines he plays in All Blues (posted above, great job guys!) he also plays in Autumn Leaves. So he uses the same lines over different tunes and chords. Is that the method? Besides, I read that the advanced solo dvd's contain the same lines as the TTI dvds but faster and they are longer (more notes added)? Is this true?

I also have The Jazz Lines where he talk about using maj7 shapes as a framework (in combination with augmented and diminished triads) to generate lines. Doesn't Pat Martino does almost the same but he converts everything to minor instead? Do you plan on doing a The Jazz Lines study group too btw? While the dvd is great, discussing the ideas in it is a great way to get the most out of it I think.

And finally, I agree that the lines sound pretty corny. I really love Benson and Wes style playing and I was curious how easy it is to morph the lines into that style? I also assume that if you know Conti's vocabulary picking up other peoples lines is much easier right?

Thanks and keep it up!
    I see the course as 1) learning some Conti vocabulary and 2) practicing the technique and as part of the study group 3) recording/performing the exercises. All three of those tasks are useful and completing the exercise with a recorded performance is maybe the most beneficial to me.

For me there is another step in the learning process. That is making the material my own. I do this by coming up with additional vocabulary influenced by the Conti vocabulary. This is done by writing my own lines in the style, I write down/notate the lines in my "lick diary". The way I approach "lick" learning is being able to morph a single lick into many lines. I posted this video in the previous thread that illustrates the morphing of a lick:

So for me there are four steps and this final fourth step is the most important to me and is where most of the learning happens.

Everyone is at different stages along the path so what is most important to me might not line up with what is most important to others. For instance I think rhythm is extremely important, but I consider my rhythm skills to be pretty good compared to the rest of my skills. (I do practice rhythm though, on drums and percussion instruments)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lark
    Heya,

Great study group! I only have TTI-1 and The Jazz Lines and unfortunately only now became aware of this study group. If you guys have a plan to revisit the previous DVDS, to further ingrain the lines, I am definitely in!

Since you guys are already so far in I am curious what the Conti method is like? What is the methodology? I feel like there is a method to his madness so to speak. While it looks like you are just learning his solo's note for note don't you learn his melodic devices? For example, one of the lines he plays in All Blues (posted above, great job guys!) he also plays in Autumn Leaves. So he uses the same lines over different tunes and chords. Is that the method? Besides, I read that the advanced solo dvd's contain the same lines as the TTI dvds but faster and they are longer (more notes added)? Is this true?

I also have The Jazz Lines where he talk about using maj7 shapes as a framework (in combination with augmented and diminished triads) to generate lines. Doesn't Pat Martino does almost the same but he converts everything to minor instead? Do you plan on doing a The Jazz Lines study group too btw? While the dvd is great, discussing the ideas in it is a great way to get the most out of it I think.

And finally, I agree that the lines sound pretty corny. I really love Benson and Wes style playing and I was curious how easy it is to morph the lines into that style? I also assume that if you know Conti's vocabulary picking up other peoples lines is much easier right?

Thanks and keep it up!
    We already went through TTI vol. 1 and 2, and I hope after we do this volume we'll move on to vol. 4. I certainly plan to.

I have found that learning a solo note for note is never just learning the solo note for note. I notice all kinds of connections and devices that repeat and show up in various new forms. Conti is good at taking just 2 or 3 concepts and running them through lots of different harmonic environments. It's like learning a language by immersion instead of memorizing conjugations.

It's also a very low-pressure, easy way to learn. Worst case scenario is you have something to play on that tune if you ever perform it. Not a loss at all!

Fact is, a lot of us were burned out on more "advanced" and more "complicated" approaches, and just wanting a playing-centered, common sense, low theory-overhead learning process to do with some others and have some fun posting the clips. Conti is absolutely perfect for that, and lines I thought were "corny" when I learned them have found a place in my playing now that I'm very happy about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    We already went through TTI vol. 1 and 2, and I hope after we do this volume we'll move on to vol. 4. I certainly plan to..
    That's the plan, alright. I think anyone who worked through all four volumes would recognize a lot of the material in "Jazz Lines." The difference is that the lines are longer.

Conti's up front about what he does: vary lines in many ways to fit them into different musical contexts. Also, in the TTI volumes, he says he is simplifying the lines to make them manageable for less advanced players. But having learned several of those pieces, one has become a more advanced player. So lines that are long and dazzling will not seem so overwhelming. It is more like: "Oh, there's that thing he does in such-and-such solo, only here he goes into the thing from so-and-so solo. Sweet!"

Also, some of the "Jazz Lines" are flashy while being coherent on their own, so they could be used as a cadenza, or as an intro, or a seque between one tune and another. (It's kind of like "The Formula," only for lead lines instead of chords.)

After Volume 4, some may want to go on to that. Some may not. Time will tell.
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 05-12-2018 at 10:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    For me there is another step in the learning process. That is making the material my own. I do this by coming up with additional vocabulary influenced by the Conti vocabulary. This is done by writing my own lines in the style, I write down/notate the lines in my "lick diary". The way I approach "lick" learning is being able to morph a single lick into many lines. I posted this video in the previous thread that illustrates the morphing of a lick:
    I think Conti would be proud!
    He has talked about how much Johnny Smith and Howard Roberts influenced him. Another player could have been heavily influenced by those same two players yet not sound a lot like Conti.

Clint Strong, the subject of another current thread, was heavily influenced by Howard Roberts but does not sound like Conti. However, like Conti, he uses certain lines and phrases over and over in various situations.

Each of them found 'his own thing' and that's what Conti wants us to do. (I imagine Clint would say the same thing.) Get lines under your fingers, experiment with them, find what you like and play that...)

Another part of the "process" (and this is one Jimmy Bruno emphasizes) is linking your ear and your hands, so that as you improvise, you can actually play on the guitar the lines you hear in your head. (Not as easy as it looks!) ;o)

User Info Menu

Better but not quite there yet.
    Maybe coming back to it after learning the next solo will do the trick...

Here is my take on bars 1-24. I hope to post one more video with the head and solo before moving on to the next project. Cheers!

User Info Menu

I noticed my last few videos have looked like this: Ibanez headstock front and center. That wasn't the goal but it seems to be a by-product of the most convenient way I have found to set up the camera in relation to the chair I sit in to practice. I'm okay with it.

Mic might have been too close to the amp again....

User Info Menu

So I made the mistake of taking out the "All Blues" solo and fooling around with it. A video should come up in a day or so.
    You guys... I can't stay away.
    I should be in some kind of recovery group.

User Info Menu

So I made the mistake of taking out the "All Blues" solo and fooling around with it. A video should come up in a day or so.
    You guys... I can't stay away.
    I should be in some kind of recovery group.

Recovery? Lawson, that's for people who want to quit something harmful to them. Playing guitar is good for you! Think of it as a spiritual exercise and you say you need to exercise daily. ;o) That is not the whole truth but it is not false.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Recovery? Lawson, that's for people who want to quit something harmful to them. Playing guitar is good for you! Think of it as a spiritual exercise and you say you need to exercise daily. ;o) That is not the whole truth but it is not false.
    Works for me! I never should have put the DVD in. I thought, "I enjoy Conti's commentary almost more than the content, let's see what he says... didn't like the repeated figure for the first 3 measures, almost stopped it, but the first "real" line hooked me.

Here is my final take for Project 2A.

Miles Davis' All Blues was another tune that I had never tackled before. So I dug up a lesson by Richie Zellon (on YouTube) to learn the basic melody. I played the solo straight from the Robert Conti lesson.

If the group is ready to move on to Project 2B (another solo over the changes to All Blues), please post a quick note.

Cheers,
    Joe

User Info Menu

I learned both the 2A and 2B solos plus a simple version of the head. I made a recording a couple weeks ago but wasn't happy with it and haven't found time to re-record. Work and family have suddenly gotten in the way, but I should be back at it soon. I can record and post in the 2B thread if that gets started soon. I'm not quitting!

I enjoyed the discussion about Conti's method. I liked the statement about how the worst-case scenario is that we have some cool material memorized, or something along those lines. I plan to finish all four TTI videos, one or more advanced solos, and then The Jazz Lines book/dvd. Maybe I'll throw in The Precision Technique before or in conjunction with the advanced solos if needed. I'm sure it won't be all I need to become a killer soloist, but the worst-case scenario is still pretty good and I know I'll have fun the whole time.

Chris

FYI. I've posted the new thread for Project 2B. See you there!

Robert Conti TTI Vol 3, Project 2B (The Blues!)

User Info Menu

I finally got around to posting my first chorus on "All Blues."

I finally got around to posting my first chorus on "All Blues."
    Well played Lawson. Tasty and tone-full.

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I have fallen way behind y'all due to be overworked and underplaying but here is my contribution.
    I played the bass and chords into my looper and used the drum track from iRealBook.

Conti Blues 2A

While I was at it I recorded the Miles Davis Solo as well

Miles Davis's All Blues

I have written the Miles Solo if anyone would like a copy just let me know.

On to 2B

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I have fallen way behind y'all due to be overworked and underplaying but here is my contribution.
    I played the bass and chords into my looper and used the drum track from iRealBook.

Conti Blues 2A

While I was at it I recorded the Miles Davis Solo as well

Miles Davis's All Blues

I have written the Miles Solo if anyone would like a copy just let me know.

On to 2B
    Sounds great! And I like your take on the Miles solo, too. You played it with good time-feel and tone.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Hi guys,

Conti Blues 2A

On to 2B
    Well done Doublea A! The solo sounded spot on to me. Good luck with 2B. I'm glad to see that you are still with us!