The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 106

User Info Menu

Thought I'd use a different backing track and a different key for my next video. Bb seemed like a good idea. It's easy to transpose lines from C to Bb. And Bb is the more common key to play in, so anything I learn in the blues vein needs to be transposed to Bb (and usually F too) at some point....

Picked an Aebersold track from "Nothin' But The Blues" (volume 2), the updated edition for (-with Corey Christiansen replacing the piano on the original edition). It's more of jump feel, but not too fast (for me). So I'm working on some rhythmic bits (and a Mickey Baker solo that sounds good in this context), a bit of Hollywood Fats, Duke Robillard, and a few "jump moves" I've picked up here and there along the way. Really enjoying it. Will record in a couple days.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I really like all this outside the box thinking and experimenting that we are doing. It sounds and feels very Jazzy !!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I really like all this outside the box thinking and experimenting that we are doing. It sounds and feels very Jazzy !!
    And bluesy! ;o)

User Info Menu

Since I don't have "Let's Talk Changes" I just winged it and did something on my own. 3 choruses, trio, BIAB drum track, me on bass and guitar.

This became a bit of a project as I've been wanting to do split screen... So, I downloaded Lightworks Video Editor Software, went through some tutorials etc. Found out I couldn't import my 15 fps video that my Logitech webcam created of my performances, had to download transcoding software, another tutorial... etc. etc. You get the idea.

I still am walking around in the dark with this new software so it's a bit rough but I do have split screen.

User Info Menu

Focused on the rhythm this time, lots of various comping ideas and an old Mickey Baker solo that always seemed cool to me. (Would be hotter a little faster...)
    Butchered the Conti solo when I finally got around to it.
    I like the chorus with the lick from "Wholly Cats" in it...

Broke a string the other day. After 2 years in daily use! The new set still feels tight to me.

I apologize for the collasal screw up that ends things, but since the mic is down by my amp, you don't hear all of that. This is probably for the best. ;o)

User Info Menu

Good job Mark, there are moments such as 1:38 and 2:00 where you settle into the groove, dance with the track if you will. The chord playing is where your rhythm is best.

Cheers.

Here is my final video for Volume 3, Project 1.

• Bars 1-24: This is the complimentary video lesson from Robert Conti. See post #52. I use the first 12 bars as the head of the tune.
    • Bars 25-48: This is the actual Project 1 solo transposed to Bb.
    • Bars 48-72: This is a blues solo from Mimi Fox's Jazz Anatomy DVD.
    • The closing phrase is from Conti's Big City Blues, Volume 1.

I got in a little bit over my head in trying to learn and memorize 72 bars. In any event, I'm ready to move on to Project 2.

*** NOTE: I will be out of town April 15-30 with limited Internet access and no ability to create videos. However, I will have access to a guitar and will try to keep up. I will post videos as soon as I can.

Cheers,
    Joe

If no one has any objections, I would be glad to set up the thread for Project 2A, an entry level improvised solo based on the chord progression to Miles Davis' All Blues. Cheers, Joe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    If no one has any objections, I would be glad to set up the thread for Project 2A, an entry level improvised solo based on the chord progression to Miles Davis' All Blues. Cheers, Joe
    Sounds good. I decided to sit out the "alternate changes" week because I already know those and play them all the time, and couldn't figure out what to do for a clip. Ready to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    The Blues! Robert Conti Ticket To Improv Volume 3, Project 2A

User Info Menu

I had begun to wonder when we would move along to Project 2A. Thanks for getting the ball rolling!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Conti is pretty close to the action with his company, too. He has actually phoned several in the study group from time to time just to encourage them. Pretty amazing. I am not at all surprised that he was pro-active in taking care of your problem, and not surprised at the way he did it.
    A few years ago one of the Jazz Lines DVDs failed. I emailed them asking if it was possible to get a replacement. No problem. I had an email back saying that since I'd bought a number of the products, I was a good customer and they would replace it without question and without cost, including the postage to here in the UK.

Excellent company.

User Info Menu

Continuing with the "Robert Conti runs a great company" theme... I got an e-mail saying someone from his office had seen a clip of mine and decided to send me one of the "Source Code" DVD/Book sets gratis. It was a bolt from the blue. I just got it this week and as soon as my income tax returns are in the mail I'll crack it open for a look.

Yeah, they service what they sell!

User Info Menu

Continuing with the "Robert Conti runs a great company" theme... I got an e-mail saying someone from his office had seen a clip of mine and decided to send me one of the "Source Code" DVD/Book sets gratis. It was a bolt from the blue. I just got it this week and as soon as my income tax returns are in the mail I'll crack it open for a look.

Yeah, they service what they sell!
    That's great! Which one did you get?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    That's great! Which one did you get?
    "The Formula" which looks to be a set of exercises for the cycle of fourths.

User Info Menu

That's a great book. It follows "Chord Melody Assembly Line" (-which is the 'nuts and bolts' of putting melody notes on top of chord voicings.) I'm eager to hear you put "The Formula" to work! ;o)

User Info Menu

It’s much more than that! I think you will get a lot out of it. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

As other members have done, I have added a melody to the beginning of the exercise. I used the melody to Cannonball Shuffle. Following that is the Robert Conti solo 1, then the Robert Conti solo 2, and finally the last chorus is my own solo.I was interested to see how the Conti solos would work over a Texas Blues Shuffle. I think solo 2 works particularly well over a Texas Blues.The drums are a backing track, the rest is me.

User Info Menu

You guys are doing awesome. I just went through this thread and really enjoyed it. Went to Conti's site and am going to see how I do with his free blues module and will probably order the dvd your working from. When I saw FEP's first split screen I thought he'd got a friend to sit in on bass with him. Doesn't take much to fool me

User Info Menu

Well done, Frank! It was neat hearing the solos with the Texas blues shuffle style. I'm planning on playing some bass for the "All blues" project that we're doing next. I hope we'll see you there.

-Chris

User Info Menu

Thanks Chris,

I've really taken to playing the bass and rhythm guitar as part of my recordings. Might as well be working on it all at the same time. I ended up transcribing both the guitar and bass guitar parts for Cannonball Shuffle. If anyone is interested in a pdf of that, drop me a line and I'll send it to you.

My bass is in the shop. I bought it used and the bridge pu has never worked, I'm getting that fixed. I haven't heard back from the shop for the diagnosis yet. So no bass for now.

On a related topic, the Lightworks software for split screen etc. has been very frustrating. Super slow with frequent crashes. The best I can figure is I don't have a powerful enough computer to use it. I wasn't able to complete that previous video with it. The source videos where taken with my Samsung Galaxy S8 and are very large files. My neighbor did the video editing with me riding co-pilot. She has a high powered Apple computer bought specifically for video editing and uses the oh too expensive Adobe Premier Pro video editing software. I can't go there myself, lots of $$$ to buy a powerful enough computer to run a robust video editing software. So, I'm back to the small file low resolution webcam videos and using the free windows movie maker. No more split screens but I can transition in and out to various instruments. Even still, should be fun playing around with the video production.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    As other members have done, I have added a melody to the beginning of the exercise. I used the melody to Cannonball Shuffle. Following that is the Robert Conti solo 1, then the Robert Conti solo 2, and finally the last chorus is my own solo.I was interested to see how the Conti solos would work over a Texas Blues Shuffle. I think solo 2 works particularly well over a Texas Blues.The drums are a backing track, the rest is me.

I like the Cannonball Shuffle !! I am not a huge blues fan, but that's Great !! You have inspired me to learn that head. And the Texas Blues Shuffle . . . . Brilliant !!

User Info Menu

Here is my take on the Conti Blues

Conti Blues

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Here is my take on the Conti Blues

Conti Blues
    Sounds great. Thumbs up to the tone you're getting from your tele. How much do you roll off the volume?

I'm all the way down to about where 3 would be for my tone and about 7 for my volume on my tele. If I roll through the tone control, around 3 to 4 is where there is a dramatic tone change, above 4 on the tone control the change in tone is pretty subtle from 5 to 10.

User Info Menu

Conti's "Ticket To Improve" completely changed my approach to improvisation. I look forward to this!