Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 106

User Info Menu

My recording of Solo 2

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    My recording of Solo 2
    Well done Frank! I enjoy your playing (and apparently so does your dog).

User Info Menu

And here's my 24 measures for the week. I decided to use the Charlie Parker head "Billie's Bounce" (transposed to C) as my "vehicle" for this one. Only problem is, "Billies Bounce" is one tricky little tune to play!

I originally recorded this on my 1964 Hagström I (RED!!) but decided to go with the L5ces... chickened out I guess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    And here's my 24 measures for the week. I decided to use the Charlie Parker head "Billie's Bounce" (transposed to C) as my "vehicle" for this one. Only problem is, "Billies Bounce" is one tricky little tune to play!

I originally recorded this on my 1964 Hagström I (RED!!) but decided to go with the L5ces... chickened out I guess.

Serious extra credit points. It's hard to play saxophone solos (Parker's heads are like solos, many of Parker's heads started their life as solos that he remembered and later used as a head). Nice job on covering that really fast line. It's been said that all you have to do is drop an alto down the stairs and it will play an Eb scale. I think that's an exageration though.

After the tease, I'm hoping to see the Hagström make an appearance.

User Info Menu

Serious extra credit points. It's hard to play saxophone solos (Parker's heads are like solos, many of Parker's heads started their life as solos that he remembered and later used as a head). Nice job on covering that really fast line. It's been said that all you have to do is drop an alto down the stairs and it will play an Eb scale. I think that's an exageration though.

After the tease, I'm hoping to see the Hagström make an appearance.
    Okay, you persuaded me! Here's the Old Hag. I had not played a solid body guitar, nor strings smaller than .12, nor an unwound 3rd string, for 30 years when this guitar arrived last week. I am still fumbling with the lighter strings and don't quite have the touch for solid-body playing, but I'm having fun!

User Info Menu

So I played around with that bit in previous post starting on different chord tones. The idea was play the line and resolve it with various somethings... I wrote out what I guess is a lick etude if you will.

Great Idea !
    I once did something similar with Diminished Arpeggios from a Joe Pass concept.
    The secret is in the resolution.
    Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Here's my take on bars 1-24, the full solo. All in all, I played it pretty much as written.

For next week's assignment I will try working in some of the rhythm examples presented in the "Let's Talk Changes!" chapter of project 1.
    That was great !!
    Your playing is so smooth. It reminds me of Kenny Burrell or a young George Benson.

User Info Menu

My recording of Solo 2

Great !!
    Very Bluesy.
    You are getting a great sound out of that Tele.

User Info Menu

Great Stuff Lawson !!
    Very Courageous of you to insert the head from Billie's Bounce. That is not an easy head to play.
    Well Done !!

Okay, you persuaded me! Here's the Old Hag. I had not played a solid body guitar, nor strings smaller than .12, nor an unwound 3rd string, for 30 years when this guitar arrived last week. I am still fumbling with the lighter strings and don't quite have the touch for solid-body playing, but I'm having fun!
    Hi Lawson -- I liked your take with the "Old Hag"! Coincidentally, I broke out my 1977 Les Paul Custom, which has sat idle for some time. But I too chickened out and went with the Gibson ES 175. I may follow your lead and post a clip with the solid body (time permitting). You continue to raise the bar!

User Info Menu

You guys are setting a high bar, with split screens and dogs in the audience.

I don't even have a working video camera at this point. (Not related to this project, just venting).

I go to Best Buy to get my Sony Bloggie fixed.

"No, we don't fix those."
    "That's like iPhones, we don't fix those either."

Who said anything about iPhones? He volunteered that.

This is the Geek Squad. Geeks love this stuff, right?

Years ago I went there to get a VCR fixed.

"No, we don't fix those, man."

Hey Geek Squad -- is there anything you DO fix?

Never mind me, back to your bluesifying, gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzinNY
    You guys are setting a high bar, with split screens and dogs in the audience.
    I don't even have a working video camera at this point. (Not related to this project, just venting).
    Hi JazzinNY, When I joined this study group a little over a year ago, I had no video camera and had never recorded myself playing anything (let alone posted something on YouTube). It was terrifying at first but 8 bars led to 16... As a rank amateur, I still measure my success 1 bar at a time. Conti's Ticket To Improve is the right program for me (challenging but doable with much practice). The members of the group are exceptionally supportive.

From the technology perspective, I use a webcam, a microphone, and Windows Movie Maker (free). The chain is as simple as it gets: guitar, amp, microphone, Movie Maker. And many, many takes...

Did I mention how supportive everyone is?

Cheers,
    Joe

User Info Menu

I've got company for a few days, so no recording. At least, I don't expect to find the time. But I am playing the solos daily and working on a couple more blues etudes and a Parker blues head. Enjoying getting back into blues playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I've got company for a few days, so no recording. At least, I don't expect to find the time. But I am playing the solos daily and working on a couple more blues etudes and a Parker blues head. Enjoying getting back into blues playing.
    Which one? As long as we're in C, I want to learn "Relaxin at Camarillo" which is almost demonically hard for me to get. I mean, I struggled on "Billie's Bounce" so RAC is going to be a lotta work.

User Info Menu

Which one? As long as we're in C, I want to learn "Relaxin at Camarillo" which is almost demonically hard for me to get. I mean, I struggled on "Billie's Bounce" so RAC is going to be a lotta work.
    It's not that one. I think it would be a good head to learn: lots of "bebop language" in it. But it's never been a favorite of mine.

User Info Menu

I'm going to join the party with the Parker heads.

I learned the head to K.C. Blues last night. A long time ago I bought the Parker Omni book - about 40 years ago I think. I practiced with the book for a while before I realized I had the Eb version. Even still, I kept using it.

So all the tunes are in the wrong key for guitar. In the Eb version K.C. Blues is in the key of A, if I'm doing the math right that is C concert. K.C. blues is in C, I learned it in A, I'll just move up three frets.

User Info Menu

I'm trying to figure out just what the "assignment" is for the next couple of dates. It's the alternative changes, but what are we actually posting? Playing the solos over those changes? Playing the changes?

Will this be on the test? Do I have to read that? Does it count for the grade?

I'm trying to figure out just what the "assignment" is for the next couple of dates. It's the alternative changes, but what are we actually posting? Playing the solos over those changes? Playing the changes?

Will this be on the test? Do I have to read that? Does it count for the grade?
    Hi Lawson, et al,

The first two assignments covered the 24 bar blues solo. May I suggest we use the next week to post a clip based on the "Let's Talk Changes" chapter of Project 1?

Based on past projects, we use the last week to post a final clip which may or may not include a head plus the solo.

Here is a proposed revised "syllabus" for posting:
    March 20: Measures 1-12
    March 27: Measures 1-24
    April 3: Blues comping video based on the "Let's Talk Changes" chapter of Project 1.
    April 10: Optional: Final post of Conti's 24 bar blues solo. This could include a head or other embellishments.

This is just a suggestion. Input welcome!

Regards,
    Joe

User Info Menu

My company leaves in the morning and I hope to record some after my morning practice. Probably the two Conti choruses, maybe a Bird head, maybe another etude or two, maybe a bit of improv. I'm using a 10-chorus play-along and just keep going until it stops. (I may cut off the recording prematurely if it starts to stink beyond endurance.)

User Info Menu

I played this to a backing track but because of a bonehead thing I did, it wasn't picked up by the video cam. Doh! Neither was the amp sound on my guitar.

10 choruses with many clams. Think I played the Conti solo twice, the "K C Blues" head, some Frank Vignola, some Herb Ellis, some chords, some me. (Usually the "me" is an attempt to recover from a mistake.)

You do a get look at the Crossover Pick I've been using lately. (It straps around the thumb.)

User Info Menu

Good job Mark. You are taking on quite a bit on this one.

User Info Menu

Good job Mark. You are taking on quite a bit on this one.

Thanks, Frank. I did take on too much, I think. I'm bad about that. In my daily practice, I've gotten better about pacing myself, not trying to overwhelm myself with new material.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I played this to a backing track but because of a bonehead thing I did, it wasn't picked up by the video cam. Doh! Neither was the amp sound on my guitar.

10 choruses with many clams. Think I played the Conti solo twice, the "K C Blues" head, some Frank Vignola, some Herb Ellis, some chords, some me. (Usually the "me" is an attempt to recover from a mistake.)

You do a get look at the Crossover Pick I've been using lately. (It straps around the thumb.)
    Way to go for it Mark! I enjoyed it. Thanks.

Here's my take on Conti's "Let's Talk Changes!" chapter of Volume 3, Project 1.
    • The first 12 bars follow Conti's "Version 2" chart, a 12 bar blues embellished with jazz chords. I tried to play it with a "Four To The Bar" rhythm.
    • For bars 13-24, I comped using some ideas from Mimi Fox's Jazz Anatomy lesson. I tried using a "Charleston" rhythm.
    • I then simply repeated the first 24 bars but added a sax solo via Band In A Box.

This week's part of Project 1 reminded me how much I need to add rhythm work into my weekly practice plan.

User Info Menu

Hey Joe, Really well done, you've really made a lot of progress in a short time. I really like the Mimi Fox's bit with the sax solo, those fit like together like a glove.