The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

There is a thread around here that discusses the Benson Lessons available out there where I complain that it seems he's unable (or unwilling?) to break down every little chunk of his monster licks to show his thinking. I for one would love to know what his methodology is for line construction, the devices, formulae, patterns as well as his harmonic thinking. Does he meet complex changes trying to hit guide tones or does he have thousands of lines he stitches together that he "knows" intrinsically will eventually resolve in a convincing way.

He's gotta be one of the most frustrating players to analyze, which of course is what makes him so great. I'll never be able to hear then sing then play lines (simultaneously!) such as his, but I just want to be able to unlock some kind of code to his magic.

Any ideas?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

transcribe one of his solos. or learn this one.

http://www.lucaspickford.com/affirmation1.gif

User Info Menu

Tim is right. Transcribe his stuff. Use the Amazing Slowdowner or the like to get it slow enough to hear.

A while ago I memorized a "Take Five" solo of his, but couldn't fathom the thinking behind it, I mean, some of his lines seems to defy analysis, you look for the most obtuse subs or whether he's using hybrid scales or arps and it gives you nothing. So I assume it's beyond my ability to analyse, hence the question. Could it be that he really does just play what he hears without analysing it himself? I am sure he has some lines worked out that enable him to "pre hear" them in a solo context, but he does so much unpredictable stuff, it's actually quite scary!

User Info Menu

Since you were learning it, I guess you digged his Take Five solo to begin with. Did it sound odd to your ears? Or outside?

Someone made this comment about Pat Martino not so long ago, another speed demon like George: if you play fast enough, and swing, it sounds good as long as it resolves at the end.

Curious thing is that it sounds "in" in the broader context, even though out of context it's most definitely "outside". Either way, there seems no way to conceive these ideas without simply hearing it your head to begin with. This would probably mean there is little to glean from George except maybe "follow your own ears!" Fine for those of us that have freakish ears like GB, doesn't he have perfect pitch?

User Info Menu

I did transcribe and analyze most of his solo on the blues "The Cooker" from very early days. As far as I could tell, at least on that tune, there was nothing surprising or unusual at all, except for the amazing chops and the extremely long and fluid lines that is. There is just a combination of earthy blues stuff, long bebop scale lines that begin with arpegios and that are extended by means of amazing slides from end of the fingerboard to the other, the occasional tritone substitution and not much else. On that tune at least, his playing is just straightfoward bebop and he is always follwing the changes.

check out the link, there are 7 "chunks". You get to hear George cruising through some lines without knowing what specific harmonic context many of them are intended for. Curious to see if these are standard bop ideas to any one. More lessons at workshoplive.com
    Last edited by princeplanet; 10-05-2009 at 05:49 AM.

User Info Menu

I liked that bagpipes thing!

User Info Menu

Analysis of George Benson: he's a super-talented guy who played some amazing jazz and then found a way to make so much money that nowadays he can do what he likes.

Conclusion; I should be so f ******* lucky!

Oh that wasn't what you meant?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    Analysis of George Benson: he's a super-talented guy who played some amazing jazz and then found a way to make so much money that nowadays he can do what he likes.

Conclusion; I should be so f ******* lucky!

Oh that wasn't what you meant?
    A succinct and astute analysis.

User Info Menu

Still waiting for someone to deconstruct his smoothie mustache.

Aw, c'mon you guys, you make light of this! Yet you probably worship Metheny or Pat Martino etc, guys who couldn't hold the veritable candle to GB's talent. If I was George and was reading this thread, I'd be very disappointed.....

User Info Menu

Mebbe pull George out of the wings the way Woody pulled out Marshall McLuhan:

User Info Menu

George has some very insightfull videos but I'm not sure if he does a full deconstruction of all his songs. Probably a few though, but he is a great guy to watch an interview of.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Aw, c'mon you guys, you make light of this! Yet you probably worship Metheny or Pat Martino etc, guys who couldn't hold the veritable candle to GB's talent. If I was George and was reading this thread, I'd be very disappointed.....
    Oh no, not the who is better than who nonsense. YOU are making light of this, it seems to me.

"Hold a candle"... come on, will you. These are all geniuses.

User Info Menu

Anyway, I don't know how good or thorough this is, but he has done some pretty good stuff on Wes and Pat Martino. You might check it out for some raw transcriptions without much analysis:

Amazon.com: Best of George Benson: A Step-by-Step Breakdown of His Guitar Styles and Techniques (Signature Licks) (9780634011313): Wolf Marshall, George Benson: Books

Quote Originally Posted by franco6719
    Anyway, I don't know how good or thorough this is, but he has done some pretty good stuff on Wes and Pat Martino. You might check it out for some raw transcriptions without much analysis:

Amazon.com: Best of George Benson: A Step-by-Step Breakdown of His Guitar Styles and Techniques (Signature Licks) (9780634011313): Wolf Marshall, George Benson: Books
    Thanks, may be worth a look. Oh, and sorry about the "candle" stuff, of course you are dead right, they're all champs. Just that some guys treat GB like a chump, why is he the subject of derision so often? The other greats don't seem to cop the same flak, I don't get it. I'm quite certain that Martino and Metheny are in awe of George, why aren't the rest of us?