Posts 26 to 43 of 43
    i get jimi and caroline kennedy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Some recent pro-shot video of Rogers with Ravi Coltrane:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Some recent pro-shot video of Rogers with Ravi Coltrane:

nice clip...but sad too, tho...that players of that calibre are "immortalized" playing in the back of small bookstore type joints..and reading off charts...

took years for the classic john coltrane quartet to develop complete heart/soul simpatico...w elvin, tyner, garrison...

different days

& btw, for those that may want to hear ravi coltrane in a very adventurous mode..check out- in movement

his 2016 ecm recording with the great jack dejohnette...prime stuff

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-23-2017 at 07:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Haha. Yeah, but that's the NPR tiny desk broadcast, intentionally done that way for intimacy among other reasons. The broadcast is nation wide, so...

Those guys play in lots and lots of jazz joints and festivals. Not that it's Taylor Swift time or anything, but that ain't anything new. That really started in the 60s.

Blame Elvis, and then Lennon/McCartney. After that, Katie bar the door...
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 09-23-2017 at 07:48 PM.

User Info Menu

yeah i get ya.. (why i wrote "immortalized")...but still lacks the power of say, john coltrane at newport!!!

tiny desk schtick works for huge bands..playing in small quarters..intimate...but for most jazz groups these days..its not that far from the truth..any irony is lost

stick'em in a huge stadium, npr!!

haha

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-23-2017 at 09:14 PM. Reason: cl-

sadder still is the fact that many of these cats can't get health insurance.

User Info Menu

He’s really driving the time on Impressions.

Wonderful command and control of the music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i get jimi and caroline kennedy
    ... and Bruce Lee!

User Info Menu

Not my upload. Just found it online again.

Michael Brecker, Adam Rogers, Larry Goldings, Bill Stewart - Ronnie Scott's, 2000.
    1. Arc of the Pendulum
    2. Sound Off
    3. Timeline

http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/25102034/file.html

User Info Menu

sadder still is the fact that many of these cats can't get health insurance.

why not? i thought that it was available now?

User Info Menu

Some pro-shot video of John Patitucci's electric guitar quartet with Adam Rogers and Steve Cardenas.

User Info Menu

that's sweet. Is adam from philly? And that birthdate is cool, mine is on jimi's birthday which is also cool but yours is better.
    He's from New York. I stumbled on this a recently, which gives a lot of insight into his evolution as a musician.

I saw him with Brecker, Larry Goldings, and Idris Muhammed. Amazing group, and my first exposure to Adam Rogers. I ran into him a few months ago at Guitar Center (he was checking out an old 345) and introduced myself and chatted for a while. He's a very friendly, pleasant guy.

The only album of his I have is Time and the Infinite. It's in many ways an amazing record. But, like Brecker, he throws an awful lot of intensity and information at you, and you have to be in the right frame of mind for it. It's definitely not background music or lullaby. I can't speak to whether he's the best around right now, or one of the greatest in history or anything like that. There are people who play with less technical ability and versatility, who nevertheless move people, which (to me anyway) makes it impossible to rank musicians. I would shift the rubric a little and say he's probably the closest thing to the Michael Brecker of the guitar. To my ears, he's a true heir to Brecker's aesthetic and technical prowess.

John

User Info Menu

I didn't realize Brad Hamilton could make such amazing music.

User Info Menu

Just bumping this one. Adam and his music haven't come up much recently. I just discovered a couple of recent releases he's on that didn't get any attention on this forum.

Fima Ephron - 'Songs from the Tree' - Fima Ephron
    It's the Chris Potter Underground lineup + Kevin Hays on keys, with David Torn contributing loops to one tune.

Jeff Herr Corporation - 'Manifesto'
    Manifesto — Igloo Records
    Manifesto by Jeff Herr Corporation on Spotify

User Info Menu

I love Adam Rogers, been following him closely for a while.

Help me with with this - in the archive.org recording someone posted, I can hear him clearly playing sixteenth notes at 24:20, but he kicks into hyperdrive at 24:35 - what is going on here rhythmically?

thanks,

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crhyner

Help me with with this - in the archive.org recording someone posted, I can hear him clearly playing sixteenth notes at 24:20, but he kicks into hyperdrive at 24:35 - what is going on here rhythmically?

thanks,

Charlie
    He plays fluidly through lines that shift their phrasing between three and four notes per beat setting up to the faster part which sounds to me like six notes per beat (maybe nine per beat in a few places) with parts articulated different ways to keep it interesting. One of those articulations sounds like rhythmically accenting the 1st and 4th of the six notes per beat - have to transcribe it to know more. But speculating, he might be switching between picking two or three notes per string, or switching between long and short fret span fingerings, or similar fingering and picking differences to mechanically shift the feel of the articulations. Those fastest burst speeds have the sound of legato fingering and economy picking to me, which allow the continuation of note accent at high speed.

Quote Originally Posted by crhyner

thanks,

Charlie
    I think the 24:20 bit is eighth note triplet time base - played in melodic accent groupings of 4, (so they convey 16ths feel). Then, 16ths on the faster bits following? The 8th triplets have double time notes as well (or sixteenth triplets)here and there...

There's a ton of accent displacement throughout all of this. Pretty difficult to hear, for me anyway. Anyway, I listened to a ton of Keith Jarrett, and he's always doing this kind of stuff. Jazzers rarely seem to play triplets where they accent the first triplet over and over. Rogers is doing a lot of accenting everysecond or third triplet in the part proceeding this (rather than the 1st triplet). Those are little easier to hear, because it's at least still groupings of 3, but once it goes to accent groupings of FOUR, they're pretty hard to distinguish.

My 2c...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I think the 24:20 bit is eighth note triplet time base - played in melodic accent groupings of 4, (so they convey 16ths feel). Then, 16ths on the faster bits following? The 8th triplets have double time notes as well (or sixteenth triplets)here and there...

There's a ton of accent displacement throughout all of this. Pretty difficult to hear, for me anyway. Anyway, I listened to a ton of Keith Jarrett, and he's always doing this kind of stuff. Jazzers rarely seem to play triplets where they accent the first triplet over and over. Rogers is doing a lot of accenting everysecond or third triplet in the part proceeding this (rather than the 1st triplet). Those are little easier to hear, because it's at least still groupings of 3, but once it goes to accent groupings of FOUR, they're pretty hard to distinguish.

My 2c...
    I think this is a good insight.