The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ES137
    I am 5 weeks in but as an adult, I am finding it difficult to do 6 days a week, the first time I tried it last year I got through Week 1, then during Week 2 I cut my finger chopping vegetables and then my cat became ill and died. I should have done this when I was in my 20s at GIT. Argh...
    Howard Roberts Super Chops: study group for a tune based practice routine

Some class notes from a group of us a while ago, if you're curious
    David

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What followed based on this template was a yearlong journey based on the HR formula
    Commit to a song a week. What could a serious student hope to learn?

If you're curious
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    What followed based on this template was a yearlong journey based on the HR formula
    Commit to a song a week. What could a serious student hope to learn?

If you're curious
    David
    Thanks David, I am having some success (and yes even some fun) I am streamlining the process, thanks to modern technology (loopers) I only have to play through the progression once then play it back for 10 minutes on the looper, also I record the next day's progression at the next day's tempo, about to wrap up Week VI, week VII is review and then I start the triplet exercises, I will check out your thread.

User Info Menu

I went through this book many years ago, mid ‘80s I think. I still have the book. It was very useful for building technique, speed and mastering my arpeggio shapes.
    Nowadays when I want to work on similar exercises I use the iReal app as backing and set it to increase in tempo every chorus and also move around the cycle of fifths. It makes a great warm-up routine.

User Info Menu

I went through the program start to finish a couple summers ago. One thing that's especially nice about the program is that it gets you actually improvising for lots and lots of time. Many other systems or programs or what have you tend to give you a ton of material but don't build-in time to actually put it to use. I suppose they figure that's up to the student, and that's somewhat fair, but I think many of us struggle with taking ideas and putting them into practice. That Howard's program puts that front and center is a boon in my opinion. On the flipside, he doesn't give you very much material! I could see running Superchops in parallel with something like Randy Vincent's Cellular Approach. The latter provides an abundance of stuff to shed, the former provides a framework for actually doing the shedding.

User Info Menu

Finished Week VII (review) and as I said at the outset that as an older adult, it is nearly impossible to do it every day as Roberts insists, life has once again gotten in the way, my father is in hospice and not long for this earth, I will probably have to take a break, see this out and pick up with Week VIII when I can. I did get seven uninterrupted weeks in however.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntermacd
    I went through the program start to finish a couple summers ago. One thing that's especially nice about the program is that it gets you actually improvising for lots and lots of time. Many other systems or programs or what have you tend to give you a ton of material but don't build-in time to actually put it to use. I suppose they figure that's up to the student, and that's somewhat fair, but I think many of us struggle with taking ideas and putting them into practice. That Howard's program puts that front and center is a boon in my opinion. On the flipside, he doesn't give you very much material! I could see running Superchops in parallel with something like Randy Vincent's Cellular Approach. The latter provides an abundance of stuff to shed, the former provides a framework for actually doing the shedding.
    Do you feel that it helped? Did you do it everyday as Roberts insists? I have noticed some improvement, mostly "aha moments" where things click...

User Info Menu

I finally finished the 20 week course, as I said earlier life got in the way as my father passed away and spending time with him in his final hours took precedence over being a genius improv guy so practice was spotty over a month and a half to two month period, I did however get back on board when things settled down and saw it through to the end very consistently. I had some really frustrating days where I got angry and just felt like I was mindlessly running scales and couldn't hit anything and good, satisfying days where I was able to get the progression and key changes "off the paper and into my head" it was there that I noticed progress being made. I am going to take a breather for a few days, I look forward to getting out the Trio Pedal and the Real Book and testing and continuing my progress.

Hi guys!

I just found out about this book and have been reading through this group. You guys work hard!! Well done.

I want to start with the program as well but I'm not quite sure about the bpm thing. How do I find my tempo? I noticed some of you where playing very slow for a long time, like 48 bpm. But the idea of the book is to gradually aim for higher tempos right?