The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

BTW Jake, you were right, a blues is one of the best places to start this walking exercise. No I'm hooked. One thing I noticed with John and Emily REMLER WHEN SHE DOES HER BASSLINE THIng is that somethimes they pulloff a not to an open string to give it more of a walking feel. Do you agree? and are you consious of chord tones when it comes to these walking ideas? I've realized that I always have to know or feel where the third or seventh or altered tones are when navigated through Stella

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

can't say i'm aware of it on a thought process. I don't think when I play much anymore unless the music is new or unfamiliar and you are forced to think (which is a good thing).

On standards it just kind of happens for me now. Tones have certain characters to them, colours is a good euphemism for it (at least a common one). Chord tones like 3rds and 7ths or b9ths are guide tones, a centered feeling or a neutral colour. Other tones depending on their alteration have different effects, feelings or sensations.

I dunno, probably not the most "textual" way of explaining it. I gave up on the whole 'thinking' thing as quickly as I could, I prefer to feel music then anything else.