The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sydjester
    i think that a player should not think in terms of modes in a diatonic context. if you have a II-m7 V7 to a Imaj7.lets say Dm7 G7 Cmaj7. to think in dorian, then mixolidian and then ionian, its to me a waste of time. you have to learn the modes , but to think it as one scale that in different degrees relay on differents notes. if your ear knows how the major scale works, you will not have to think in 3 different scales, youll hear it! so , more important than remembering all the modes, is to train your ear! learn the chromatic rules. i think that all the mentioned scales here are ok, but the chromatic rules are the basis to the jazz vocabulary. first of all is necesary to learn the bop rules. chromatic rules, pivots, arpegios and chromatic approach, are the basis to everything. to practice scales, is to practice how it works, not only the positions on the fretboard. you must know how it sounds, feel it, then you will be able to use it. when you have all the information interiorized in your mind, ear and hand, your mind will not boggle lol. the sixth degree of the melodic minor is called locrian natural 9. altered scale also is very important, as well as all the modes of melodic minor. but first of all, u need to know the bop rules as the palm of your hand. take any parker solo, young, sonny stits, the didnt use all that kind of scales!! and if your hear a rosenwinkels solo, he uses all the "·"!·&$ scales lol, but he has in his hand the bop scales. its a must. if u dont know hoy to walk, youll never be able to fly!
    I take your point regarding the diatonic thing and using your ear - of course this is true. My own view is that it is best to learn things from both sides as it were. And cheers for confirming the name for the melodic minor 6th mode.

Can I ask you what the "bop rules" etc. that you mention actually are, if that's not too dumb a question?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    my advice--don't touch any of those scales until you have the major scale down. i mean down. you should be able to pick any note at random on the fretboard and play a major scale from it. you should be able to spell any major scale. you should know every chord in a given key.yes, then comes chords. at a minimum, maj7, m7, dom7, half diminished, four inversions each. bare minimum. after that, maj6, 6/9, maj9, m6, m9, 9, 11, 13, 7b5, 7#5, 7b9, 7#9, etc. most of your time as a jazz guitar player will be comping. learn how to comp--nobody will want to play with you if you can't.i'm rereading my post and i'm sounding harsh, but someone just starting out in jazz needs to put scales away for a bit.
    I totally agree.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor
    so it's just a major scale with a flat 3 up and down, (technically) ?
    Exactly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sydjester
    ... first of all is necesary to learn the bop rules. chromatic rules, pivots, arpegios and chromatic approach, are the basis to everything.
    Come back syd! I need to know what the bop rules are! Help me please! Don't just leave me dangling...