Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 101 to 103 of 103

User Info Menu

Spent some time shedding Jordu these past weeks, putting the Randy Vincent stuff to use as much as possible. Here's a clip of me taking a few choruses, mixing the melodic cells in with general improvisation following my ear. Makes for a good combo.

I went through the entire first chapter again last night and took note of all the cells Randy outlines. Moving on to another tune, one which doesn't feature rapidly cycling dominants, my plan is to pick a cell for each chord type and run it, much like I'd do when working on arpeggios. I mentioned Mike Steinel's "3 In, 2 Out" stuff in an earlier post. Looks like all of those patterns are mentioned in Randy's book too. Starting to see the utility of this stuff and hearing it come out in my playing. We'll see what happens next.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntermacd View Post
    Spent some time shedding Jordu these past weeks, putting the Randy Vincent stuff to use as much as possible. Here's a clip of me taking a few choruses, mixing the melodic cells in with general improvisation following my ear. Makes for a good combo.

I went through the entire first chapter again last night and took note of all the cells Randy outlines. Moving on to another tune, one which doesn't feature rapidly cycling dominants, my plan is to pick a cell for each chord type and run it, much like I'd do when working on arpeggios. I mentioned Mike Steinel's "3 In, 2 Out" stuff in an earlier post. Looks like all of those patterns are mentioned in Randy's book too. Starting to see the utility of this stuff and hearing it come out in my playing. We'll see what happens next.
    Great stuff!!
    I think you are right on the idea is to apply the technique to tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by huntermacd View Post

I have very very few hours into that book , but it has had a significant effect on my playing and the way I hear legato phrasing on the guitar ever since. I had thoughts at several points of skipping ahead to the 2-5 sections , simply because they might be more applicable to more tunes etc.