The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Posts 301 to 306 of 306

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Here is the full solo, played with fingers.
    I have been trying to get a video together of the tune plus the solo played with a pick, if I can I will do that soon, otherwise I will see you on Green Dolphin Street.
    I wish I could see this finger addiction, though. I play a lot of fingers.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennygomez
    I wish I could see this finger addiction, though. I play a lot of fingers.

oh, I see I it

User Info Menu

I feel this was a good study at a good pace, that I really couldn't keep up with. I hope to catch up beforefor GDS.
    I know it's generally decided to keep this pace. That's great. I think there's enough music to learn without going faster. I've learned about a half dozen tunes this week for other projects (comp and lyrics, no solo) so I think any faster would leave me in a lonely place.
    I'm going to keep working this and posting till I have it. I guess that means anyone can come over and start it too. The endless study group.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I am a huge Tim Lerch fan
    Me too! Great player and a great guy. He posts here from time to time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennygomez
    I feel this was a good study at a good pace, that I really couldn't keep up with. I hope to catch up beforefor GDS.
    I know it's generally decided to keep this pace. That's great. I think there's enough music to learn without going faster. I've learned about a half dozen tunes this week for other projects (comp and lyrics, no solo) so I think any faster would leave me in a lonely place.
    I'm going to keep working this and posting till I have it. I guess that means anyone can come over and start it too. The endless study group.

Absolutely! The "deadlines" are really guidelines to keep us all moving forward, but there is no "ahead" or "behind." Wherever you are is fine, because that's where you are. Can't be someplace you're not.

Great to hear you're staying busy with other projects, too -- post what you can, when you can. We'll all be glad to see it.

User Info Menu

Hello All,

I am planning on starting up a Study Group in May 2017 based on Randy Vincent’s book “The Cellular Approach”. I figured that we could give everybody a month to check out the book and decide whether or not they would like to commit to the group. The book explores cellular improvisation. A cell is a four note group with at least 3 chord tones. It is meant to lead to building improvisations that are melodic and follow the chord changes logically.

The Introduction reads: “This book is a collection of things to practice on the guitar that will help to develop the vocabulary of jazz improvisation while simultaneously developing and maintaining single-note technique. . . . the focus will mainly be on “cellular” improvisation, which is using very short melodic cells strung together into longer lines. Once we get to the place where we are using strings of cells for “outside” and “free” playing we will move beyond the cellular concept and into some other approaches. I have included many lines and phrases transcribed from the recordings of several master guitarists to demonstrate the validity of the concepts behind the exercises given.”

There are 5 chapters in this book: Chapter 1 - Cycles and II-V Sequences (247 examples). Chapter 2 - Turnarounds (163 examples). Chapter 3 - Longer Progressions (192 examples). Chapter 4 Outside and Free Playing (113 examples). Chapter 5 - More Outside Lines - All Purpose Licks including Chromatic Intervals, Serial Tone Rows, and 23rd Chords (99 examples)

I have had this book on my shelf for the past 2 years but I have only played the first 5 pages. Maybe a group will help motivate me and others to incorporate this concept into my own playing.

The book does not come with a CD (at least my book didn’t). I use iRealPro for backing tracks.

1. My plan right now is to learn 10 examples a month. Each example is only 2 to four bars long. I have completed the first 12 with minimal effort. I would estimate that this is a 1 to 2 hour commitment per month. We may want to change this depending on the pace maintained by the group once it gets going, plus at that rate it would take us 6 years and 9 months to complete the book.
    2. Discuss or post your performing of the examples.
    3. Discuss or post where to play the “Cells” on the neck of the guitar. Even though Randy does give some indication where he would like the cells to be played, as we know they are always alternative fingerings.
    4. Discuss or post the application of these “cells” into Jazz Standards. I think that this is the most vital part of the exercise. A concept is only a concept until it is made a reality (I just made that up. It is not a famous quote)
    5. At some point, (maybe at the conclusion) I would combine this with Randy’s other famous book “Line Games” and see how it relates to the playing of great guitarists like Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Raney, Tal Farlow, Pat Martino and Joe Pass

I will be posting this on several threads so I apologize if you seeing this more than once.

Let me know what you think.