The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Posts 276 to 300 of 306

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    If anyone needs me, I'll be over on Green Dolphin Street.
    I wondered when we would head over that way. I still play the "Satin Doll" solo daily but I haven't recorded it lately. Tomorrow, I'll do at least the next four bars of the current Raney solo ("Nowhere") and the second chorus of Herb Ellis's "Bounce Blues." Don't know when I'll want to record the start of the "Green Dolphin Street" solo but it's time to start practicing it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One more for good measure. Not much new here. The only change is that I throw in my take on Kenny Burrell's bridge from Organ Grinder Swing with Jimmy Smith (1965).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    One more for good measure. Not much new here. The only change is that I throw in my take on Kenny Burrell's bridge from Organ Grinder Swing with Jimmy Smith (1965).
    Mighty fine, Joe. The fills were a tasteful addition, and the Burrell influence on the bridge was particularly good.

User Info Menu

This is really, really nice. Your fills and Burrell-inspired bridge are perfect.

I'd suggest looking at the settings on your webcam and set it for a higher frame-rate, if possible. I really like looking at how you are fingering some of the lines, but with the slow frame-rate the video is erratic.

Most cams have a setting that allows you to bump the frame-rate up to 30 frames per second. Then make sure your video editing software doesn't sample it back down when converting for YouTube.

Your playing is just so nice, I'd like to see exactly how you're doing some of those lines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    This is really, really nice. Your fills and Burrell-inspired bridge are perfect.

I'd suggest looking at the settings on your webcam and set it for a higher frame-rate, if possible. I really like looking at how you are fingering some of the lines, but with the slow frame-rate the video is erratic.

Most cams have a setting that allows you to bump the frame-rate up to 30 frames per second. Then make sure your video editing software doesn't sample it back down when converting for YouTube.

Your playing is just so nice, I'd like to see exactly how you're doing some of those lines.
    Thanks Lawson! I've ordered a new webcam. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I'm embarrassed that I'm still running Windows XP but upgrading is such a hassle. Here are my current web cam settings:

Video Capture Wizard: USB Video Device
    Setting Details:
    File type: Windows Media Videa (WMV)
    Bit rate: 2.1 Mbps
    Display size: 640 x 480 pixels
    Frames per second: 30

I "read fingers" too so I understand your frustration. I'd be glad to share any info. For the Conti solo, I follow his fingering protocol about 100% except for a few slides and vibrato here and there (mostly to end phrases). His fingering protocol has been a revelation and I find myself using it when I'm transcribing other players stuff.

Regards, Joe

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson! I've ordered a new webcam. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I'm embarrassed that I'm still running Windows XP but upgrading is such a hassle. Here are my current web cam settings:

Setting Details:

I "read fingers" too so I understand your frustration. I'd be glad to share any info. For the Conti solo, I follow his fingering protocol about 100% except for a few slides and vibrato here and there (mostly to end phrases). His fingering protocol has been a revelation and I find myself using it when I'm transcribing other players stuff.

Regards, Joe
    It may be that the software or even the computer can't keep pace with the frame-rate.

No problem, I just tend to obsess about this kind of thing!

User Info Menu

Here is the full solo, played with fingers.
    I have been trying to get a video together of the tune plus the solo played with a pick, if I can I will do that soon, otherwise I will see you on Green Dolphin Street.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    I have been trying to get a video together of the tune plus the solo played with a pick, if I can I will do that soon, otherwise I will see you on Green Dolphin Street.
    Nice one!! See you over on Green Dolphin Street.

User Info Menu

Well done, Andy! I noticed you played that chromatic lick near the end in the legato manner or Conti's "off-the-sheet-tip" for that part. I've never been able to get the pull-offs to come out evenly (both tonally and rhythmically), but you nailed it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I wondered when we would head over that way. I still play the "Satin Doll" solo daily but I haven't recorded it lately. Tomorrow, I'll do at least the next four bars of the current Raney solo ("Nowhere") and the second chorus of Herb Ellis's "Bounce Blues." Don't know when I'll want to record the start of the "Green Dolphin Street" solo but it's time to start practicing it.
    Are you going to make a new topic for Green Dolphin Street?

User Info Menu

I like the fills you put in there. Very good!!

User Info Menu

Setting Details:

Regards, Joe
    I just bought a new Logitech HD webcam. The specs state it is High Speed USB 2 certified and USB 3 ready. . If you're running XP, you may still have USB 1 ports on your computer. Maybe the USB port isn't keeping up with the frame rate.

I also find Conti's fingering protocol to be a revelation. It makes it so much easier when the notes lay under your fingers.

User Info Menu

Nicely done!

Great tone and finger style to boot!
    Last edited by lawson-stone; 03-27-2017 at 10:33 AM.

User Info Menu

I managed to record the melody and improv with fingers and pick. Please forgive the odd mistake. I think that I know what is best but your input would be appreciated.

Fingers

Pick
    Last edited by andyb; 03-28-2017 at 10:41 AM.

User Info Menu

I managed to record the melody and improv with fingers and pick. Please forgive the odd mistake. I think that I know what is best but your input would be appreciated.

Fingers

Pick
    Andy your videos are coming up as Private on YouTube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    Andy your videos are coming up as Private on YouTube.

I think its OK now?
    Last edited by andyb; 03-28-2017 at 10:42 AM.

User Info Menu

I think its OK now?
    Both videos are visible now. I liked the fills you added. Good job on both the fingered and picked versions.

User Info Menu

I think that I know what is best but your input would be appreciated.
    Man, I love me a Telecaster!

As far a preference, I don't think I could choose one rendition over the other -- they were both well-played, and with a beautiful tone (have I mentioned that I love Telecasters?). The addition of the fills was a nice touch, too.

Plus, you were playing a Telecaster. As they say where I come from, "You cain't git no more better'n 'at."

Great job, Andy!

User Info Menu

Well played Andy! I loved how you used the Conti lines as fills. I may have to try that with GDS. Also loved the tone you got from the tele.

User Info Menu

Someone posted this over on the TV theme thread, and it reminded that Conti uses the recurrent double-stop lick in this tune to end the "Satin Doll" solo. On the DVD, he even says that this is where he learned it. And check out the guitar bit at the end of the theme -- very cool!

User Info Menu

Man, I love me a Telecaster!

As far a preference, I don't think I could choose one rendition over the other -- they were both well-played, and with a beautiful tone (have I mentioned that I love Telecasters?). The addition of the fills was a nice touch, too.

Plus, you were playing a Telecaster. As they say where I come from, "You cain't git no more better'n 'at."

Great job, Andy!

I was afraid of playing on one of my teles here. Thought the Jazz Police might give me a ticket

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I was afraid of playing on one of my teles here. Thought the Jazz Police might give me a ticket
    I knew of a couple of players here who like a Tele, but I had no idea how many until I came across this:

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed

Browsing around the other day, I came across this, and am trying to persuade my wife that this rig will solve all of our problems. Not being a guitarist, she is far from persuaded.

User Info Menu

I knew of a couple of players here who like a Tele, but I had no idea how many until I came across this:

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed

Browsing around the other day, I came across this, and am trying to persuade my wife that this rig will solve all of our problems. Not being a guitarist, she is far from persuaded.
    I am a huge Tim Lerch fan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I love my telecaster, I have bought and sold a few archtops, but always come back to the telle. Mine is an American special, I followed Tim Learch's advise with the 12/50 strings. He said something about the pickups liking more metal or something, I am using TI bebop strings they have a plain G.

As as far as fingers or pick goes, I think that the pick is perhaps better overall for this style of playing, there is more snap to the notes they seem to pop out more, and I think fingers would limit my speed eventually.

I have ordered some of the .38 dunlops as Mr Conti advocates. "In for a penny, in for a pound" as we brits say.

Any way I am heading down to Green Dolphin Street, I have heard there is a "doozie" on bars 9 & 10.

User Info Menu

I have several guitars and lately have been playing only two. My Tele Thinline during the day and my Conti in the evening. The only reason I split them up is because I have them in two different rooms. My Conti is in what my Wife calls my music room and my Tele is in my office close to where I have my computer online with the webcam.

If a Tele is good enough for Tim Lerch and Ted Greene I can live with what the so called jazz police think.