The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 306

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Thanks for the detailed reply, your right and I don't want to spend to much time on the recording side of things either. I have been playing around with microphone placement tonight, it's amazing how a inch of movement can effect the recorded sound.
    When I get the sound right I will take a look in to video, a whole different can of worms.
    At one point when I started doing clips for study groups, I spent a lot of time working out my recording routine. I'm glad I did, because now doing a clip is just one think I do in a practice time. I record a clip or two, watch them, listen, think about what is going on, note a few things to work out with my playing, then often I just delete it. I have about 3 ways to do a clip and it never takes more than about 5 minutes to set up.

As in other endeavors, it provides for me a way to be objective about my own playing. Do I sound like THAT? Yes, I do. Do I LOOK like THAT? Yes, I do. I can critique my playing on a clip as honestly and ruthlessly as I would anyone else. Plus, I've lost the tendency to lock up when I hit the record button. I do this every day, so it's no big deal, nothing to get worked up about.

It has been more helpful to me than the time and effort spent by some on how to hold their pick or whether it's authentically bebop-ish or not to use the pinky, you know?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Superb lawson-stone!

I would like to see a small tutorial of the entire audio and video recording process. It's possible? You use Screenflow, right? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlescountry
    Superb lawson-stone!

I would like to see a small tutorial of the entire audio and video recording process. It's possible? You use Screenflow, right? Thanks!
    Yes, I use Screenflow simply because I already had it for recording lectures along with PowerPoint slides and being able to present the two feeds, me lecturing and the screen of the slides at the same time, picture in picture. It also allows me to add extra narration, captions, basic transition effects, etc.

I actually do all my recording on my iPhone 6s. I have several ways to work. The easiest, but least flexible, is to run everything into my DV Mark Micro 50 head. The auxiliary input for the backing track on my iPad (using Capo! software) and the guitar in the regular input. I control the backing track levels from the iPad. The DV Mark has an XLR output, which I run to a ProSonus AudioBox iTwo, which in turn has an output to the iPhone.

What I prefer is to run the backing track through the DV Mark, and the guitar through the Polytone Minibrute II. The Polytone can either be mic'd, into the ProSonus, or the direct pre-amp out, again, into the Pro-sonus. This allows me to record at the best volume for my own listening and playing, with each input set to send the best signal out. Again, the "Device" link on the ProSonus goes to my iPhone 6s.

A final method drops the amps and just uses the two inputs on the ProSonus, one for the backing track, one for the guitar. Each adjusted for optimal input. I have to monitor on headphones when I do that. Again, output goes to the iPhone.

I can import the iPhone video into ScreenFlow which allows me to take the double-input and balance the signal. I can pull back the backing track, boost the guitar track, and if I want, I can separate out the guitar track and EQ it or add a little reverb, and boost the output gain to the proper level for creating the clip.

ScreenFlow then lets me control the export video, add fades, transitions, etc, add text boxes, put a picture behind the opening title screen, etc.

So that's how I do it for now. Sometimes, actually, I just put the iPhone on the tripod and run everything through he DV mark and let the phone's mic do the work.

I am certain there are better ways to do this, but have the cables, tripod, mic stand, amps, etc. all set up in a corner of my (obscenely large!) office, so late in the evening (my wife works late) after hours, I can practice and at the end, I make a few clips to see how it's going.

Hope that helps!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=lawson-stone;753755]So here's my run at the "head" and the solo, played at a performance appropriate tempo of about 120-130 bpm. I was having trouble hearing my backing track on the head, and I also find the "head" portions of the Aebersold recording a little hard to play with anyhow. But it's a take on the head, and then the solo. Clams aplenty. I wish I could just post perfect clips of pristine playing, but it seems I can't deliver 64 measures of clean execution (*yet* but hope never dies!).

Playing the Elitist Broadway through the Polytone, mic'ed with a "Bluebird" microphone.

Loved everything about it Lawson! Tone, voice-leading, feel. Great job. Back to the shed for me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlescountry
    Superb lawson-stone!

BTW another approach with Screenflow would be simply to set your laptop with the webcam in a spot where you can fit into the picture and run the signal, however you capture it, through the USB port.

For example, if you run the backing track and guitar into a single amp (that has an auxiliary input) you could set a digital mic in front of the amp and plug it into the USB port. If you do two channels (one for backing, one for guitar) run them into a box like the ProSonus AudioBox iTwo or the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, get your inputs right on the USB device, then balance the two channels in Screenflow.

You can always go direct into the USB device (like the two above) you'll just need headphones to monitor.

Here's one I did that way and, to tell the truth, I think it sounds as good as anything else I've done!

Thank you lawson-stone for your kindness by sharing your recording experiences. They will be very useful to me. I get into it!
    Thanks, again.

User Info Menu

Recuperating from a couple of procedures I had done since my last post, so I won't be putting up anything new this time around. I'll catch up with you all next week, when we get to play the whole dang thang!

Stay tuned . . .

User Info Menu

So I'm working on the problem I've encountered with recording in that guitars that sound quite different to me end up sounding the same in the recording. I did a take of the solo today with the ES175+Polytone, but mic'd the amp from about 5 feet away. Turned up the input gain on the mic channel and ran the backing track direct. This seems to capture the more distinctive tone of this particular guitar better than previous takes. So I'll need to try a comparative take later.

But hypothesis to test: The distinctive tone of the guitar+amp combination is more apparent at a distance from the amp than with the mic up close.

Also: playing this I've been a little freer with the tempo and feel… hope it sounds more like a real jazz solo!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So I'm working on the problem I've encountered with recording in that guitars that sound quite different to me end up sounding the same in the recording. I did a take of the solo today with the ES175+Polytone, but mic'd the amp from about 5 feet away. Turned up the input gain on the mic channel and ran the backing track direct. This seems to capture the more distinctive tone of this particular guitar better than previous takes. So I'll need to try a comparative take later.

But hypothesis to test: The distinctive tone of the guitar+amp combination is more apparent at a distance from the amp than with the mic up close.

Also: playing this I've been a little freer with the tempo and feel… hope it sounds more like a real jazz solo!

Yes. Your guitars probably sound quite distinctive live, however there are many factors that compress your sound and make your guitars sound fairly indistinguishable.

You are correct about mic placement of it is a little further away from your amp your sound will have a better chance to "breathe" before it hits the mic. When the mic is too close, it gets a lot of sound but the sound did to full potential. If the mic is too far you may lose too much sound through dissipation by the time it it hits your mic. In short, you need to experiment a lot with mic placement to find your sweet spot.

Having said that, the entire process of: recording with a device that records audio as well as video, editing, processing, uploading to YouTube then reviewing your video on an iPad or phone or even a laptop involves several layers of compression. Your microphone probably compresses your sound, your video recorder probably compresses your sound, your editing software definitely compresses your sound and YouTube definitely compresses your sound. If you listen to the video through anything less than a high fidelity audio system, it probably is also compressing your sound. Ally that compression relieves the guitars of those subtle differences that make them unique. All that being said these are most likely the reasons your do not sound as distinctive on these videos as they do live.

In short, don't sweat it. You sound great.

I think everyone here has developed their ears enough so that we can hear those subtle distinctions in your guitars. I am sure that if we were to hear them live, they would be even more distinctive. However, for the purposes of forums like this with experienced guitarists, we can still hear those subtle differences. We know what are listening for.

If you want to experiment with microphones and/or microphone placement that may be beneficial but I wouldn't spend too much time, money or energy on it.

User Info Menu

But if I stop obsessing over fine distinctions in tone, what will I do? Practice? Learn more tunes? ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

But if I stop obsessing over fine distinctions in tone, what will I do? Practice? Learn more tunes? ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes. Between obsessing over things beyond my control and procrastination, I have no time to practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

On this version I'm playing my Conti Equity Model Black guitar. I'm also using Conti's preferred .38mm Jim Dunlop Nylon pick. I purchased the guitar back in August of 2013. The action is set pretty low on it. I noticed on Conti's web site he doesn't sell this model any longer.

I also purchased a new Logitech C920 HD Pro web cam. I noticed the auto focus jumped out once or twice. I'll have to see what's on on this. It does make a big difference though than my old web cam.

Again, thanks for starting up this group.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeS; 03-25-2017 at 10:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    On this version I'm playing my Conti Equity Model Black guitar. I'm also using Conti's preferred .38mm Jim Dunlop Nylon pick. I purchased the guitar back in August of 2013. The action is set pretty low on it. I noticed on Conti's web site he doesn't sell this model any longer.

I also purchased a new Logitech C920 HD Pro web cam. I noticed the auto focus jumped out once or twice. I'll have to see what's on on this. It does make a big difference though than my old web cam.

Mike
    I'm curious about the Latin feel you're using there. That's a very different way to do "Satin Doll" from the typical medium swing style. I never thought of trying that, but have made a note to see how it works that way.

User Info Menu

Wow. Guys I was about to record a clip for today and the phone rang, and it was a call from Robert Conti himself! Guys he reads this thread, he listens to our clips, he's really following our progress with a lot of interest and empathy for our struggles. I'm 62 years old and I've had a chance to rub shoulders with some pretty respected people in their various professional fields that overlapped with mine, but to get a call from him with some feedback, encouragement, and suggestions about my playing… that was completely unexpected and the conversation was delightful. Here's a guy who just loves this music, loves guitars, and really loves players.

It's kind of exciting knowing he really is following our progress through these solos!

User Info Menu

Wow. Guys I was about to record a clip for today and the phone rang, and it was a call from Robert Conti himself! Guys he reads this thread, he listens to our clips, he's really following our progress with a lot of interest and empathy for our struggles. I'm 62 years old and I've had a chance to rub shoulders with some pretty respected people in their various professional fields that overlapped with mine, but to get a call from him with some feedback, encouragement, and suggestions about my playing… that was completely unexpected and the conversation was delightful. Here's a guy who just loves this music, loves guitars, and really loves players.

It's kind of exciting knowing he really is following our progress through these solos!
    Great Lawson! As if I don't have enough trouble trying to record an error-free solo without knowing that Mr. Conti is watching. (BTW, how did he get your phone number?). Cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Great Lawson! As if I don't have enough trouble trying to record an error-free solo without knowing that Mr. Conti is watching. (BTW, how did he get your phone number?). Cheers!
    I imagine it was easy. I have my home town on my profile, and so he likely used directory assistance. Or maybe figured out the school I teach at and called the switchboard.

Actually, my sense in talking to him was that he's not critical, but encouraging and cheering us on.

User Info Menu

For those of you following my recent quest to acquire a Gibson L5ces, here is our solo played on my recent acquisition.

Somehow, I feel my playing is unworthy of such a fine instrument, but I will soldier on somehow.

User Info Menu

For those of you following my recent quest to acquire a Gibson L5ces, here is our solo played on my recent acquisition.

Somehow, I feel my playing is unworthy of such a fine instrument, but I will soldier on somehow.
    Great job Lawson! And congrats again on the L5.

User Info Menu

Here is my effort at Satin Doll with the melody plus the full 32 bar Conti solo. It took a handful of takes but I can live with this one. During the melody section I use a couple of fills that I stole from Graham Dechter (see the video in post #49, 0:45 - 1:05).

Has anyone else experienced the law of diminishing returns? I continue to practice this solo but I'm not necessarily sure I'm producing better results. It must be sign that it is time to move on to project #2, Green Dolphin Street. I look forward to hearing your posts.

Project Epilog: The wife says if she hears me playing Satin Doll one more time she's leaving me.

User Info Menu

Mike
    Nice playing, Mike -- you sound good with the pick, too! Did it take awhile to get used to a pick, after using your fingers for so long? You seemed pretty comfortable with it.

Thanks for playing your Conti on this one -- great sound!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Here is my effort at Satin Doll with the melody plus the full 32 bar Conti solo. It took a handful of takes but I can live with this one. During the melody section I use a couple of fills that I stole from Graham Dechter (see the video in post #49, 0:45 - 1:05).

Has anyone else experienced the law of diminishing returns? I continue to practice this solo but I'm not necessarily sure I'm producing better results. It must be sign that it is time to move on to project #2, Green Dolphin Street. I look forward to hearing your posts.

Project Epilog: The wife says if she hears me playing Satin Doll one more time she's leaving me.
    Sounds good, Joe! Maybe before we start in on "Green Dolphin Street," we could all weigh in on whether or not we can/should try to move a little faster through that one. Now that we've got one under our belts, we might agree that we don't need as much time to master a solo as we first thought.

User Info Menu

Nice playing, Lawson! Interesting to compare your first time through this solo with the one you did here. You seem really at home with it, and able to do a little bit here and there to make the lines your own.

Congratulations on getting your L5 -- I know you've wanted one for some time now, and I bet it's a thrill to have it at long last!

User Info Menu

That is exciting -- and it's cool to know he's following the thread and wishing us well. Personally, when the new year rolled around, I was about ready to give up on ever making any real progress in learning this music. I bought every "must-have" jazz guitar book, DVD, or online teacher anyone recommended, and couldn't make head nor tail of most of it. Any time Conti would have a sale, I'd pick something up, if I could, but always put it on the shelf with everything else.

Finally, as I was getting ready to throw in the towel, I looked at all of the Conti materials I had accumulated and realized I'd never really given them an honest shot. Once I started to dig in on it, practice started being fun for the first time in a long time, and I finally feel like I'm starting to get somewhere.

User Info Menu

Mike
    Well done Mike! I really enjoyed your take on the solo. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    Nice playing, Mike -- you sound good with the pick, too! Did it take awhile to get used to a pick, after using your fingers for so long? You seemed pretty comfortable with it.

Thanks for playing your Conti on this one -- great sound!
    Thanks, much appreciated. I started practicing with the pick with Conti's The Precision Technique book. If you watch Conti, he barely moves his hand. I'm still working on my right hand and his fingering protocol.

Thanks again.