The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 306

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    One of my favorite moments in the video, and I forget where it is, comes when Conti elaborates on one of his lines, ripping out a really fast, knotty phrase. He says something like "Some people don't like my playing, but I like to play a lot of notes."

For some reason, that just endeared him to me even more. Knows some folks don't like "notey" playing, but happy to say he likes it just does what he does.

One of my professors once spent 45 minutes in class walking us through an extensive piece of research that in the end, returned very little to our work. Dry hole. He then just said, "So why do this kind of thing? Well... why does the otter go down the bank? It's because he's an otter."
    I think we had the same professor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am not completely happy with using just fingers for this project, I like fingers no nails for solo guitar and thats my main interest.

So I have had a rummage about and found a Fender medium pick 0.73mm, I will give that a go and see how it works out.

For now I have recorded bars 1-24 with my fingers at 100BPM. And I will record the full thing both ways for a comparison.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So here's my run at the whole solo, done at about 100 bpm. I love my Epiphone Elitist Broadway, but likely will be selling it when the L5ces I'm gunning for arrives!

I have tried to play it as close to "as written" as I could, and there is a clam right a the end! There always is, right? I hope to get the tempo up to about 120 and do a clip with the head+solo to cap the first Conti project.

Played into a DV Mark Micro 50 Head, 10" speaker cab, mic'd through a ProSonus Audiobox iTwo and into my iPhone via USB. My levels are a little hot and there is some clipping.

Nice!
    If you'll forgive my saying so, I'd like to hear you lay back even more. With that sweet tone, you're really onto something, Lawson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Robert Conti has offered to answer some of our questions. Probably in a video.

I should think we need three or four.

Perhaps some have been suggested already. (Certainly the question about simplifying his "Formula" progressions has generated a lot of attention but that is a separate matter. See link below to that thread.) But how will anyone keep track of them?

Simplifying Conti "Formula" Progressions
    Not my circus, not my monkeys - but it's great to see threads like this. Much encouragement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    I am not completely happy with using just fingers for this project, I like fingers no nails for solo guitar and thats my main interest.

So I have had a rummage about and found a Fender medium pick 0.73mm, I will give that a go and see how it works out.

For now I have recorded bars 1-24 with my fingers at 100BPM. And I will record the full thing both ways for a comparison.

As someone who can't play fingerstyle worth a flip, I admire how you're able to play lines without a pick, a la Joe Pass; and I think you get a beautiful tone from your whole rig (fingers included). Well done on this one . . . looking forward to the comparison, as well.

User Info Menu

Well thanks for the kind words.

I have found an arrangement of satin doll over at the Ted Greene site, and will work that up.
    At the moment I can't see how to move from that to the Conti solo, especially if I change to pick?

User Info Menu

Well thanks for the kind words.

I have found an arrangement of satin doll over at the Ted Greene site, and will work that up.
    At the moment I can't see how to move from that to the Conti solo, especially if I change to pick?
    That's a good site. Greene's arrangements are similar in method to Conti's, in that he shows you how to harmonize nearly every melody note.

Moving from fingers to pick, Joe Pass and Emily Remler held the pick between their lips until they needed it, I think Ed Bickert hybrid-picked everything, and Wes found his own solution.

This might be a good item to include on the "Questions for Conti" list we're starting.

User Info Menu

Anyone here ever try a Robert Conti guitar ?
    Just Curious. .
    I saw them on his website. They look similar to the D'Angelico SS Series.
    I currently have my eye on the D'Angelico SS Deluxe.
    I have owned a Peerless Sunset and an Ibanez Artist 250. Both great guitars and I do regret selling them

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Just Curious. .
    I have owned a Peerless Sunset and an Ibanez Artist 250. Both great guitars and I do regret selling them

Those used to be made by the folks doing the Aria Pro II line-the old PE190 was, I think, a Conti model. But I could have that wrong.

User Info Menu

Just Curious. .

Although I've never played one, I have been in contact with a few people who own the Equity model. Mike Irish (mjirish) is a member here, and he spoke highly of the instrument when I asked him about it not too long ago. Conti Players' Gallery contributors Adam Hinchliffe and Will Kriski have posted samples of their playing on YouTube, and I asked them about the guitar, as well. Both guys had nothing but good to say about it, and were very encouraging when I told that I expect to buy a new instrument sometime this year, and that the Conti is on my short list.

Other Conti players I plan to contact soon are John Monllos and forum member Tony Beltrans (tbeltrans). I think they've gone on record as being very pleased with the guitar overall, but I have a couple of specific questions I hope they'll be willing to answer.

User Info Menu

Just Curious. .
    I have a Conti guitar. I purchased the Black Equity Edition in August 2013. The Conti guitars are made by Peerless to Conti's specifications. I believe Peerless still makes them for Conti.

I couldn't believe it, it played out of the box. After a few days after it got acclimated to my part of the country, I had a slight buzz on the low E string on the seventh fret. A minor adjustment to the truss rod and it has been good ever since. The guitar has very log action and easy to play.

I saw on the web site where they recently came out with some new guitars with an entry, mid and top level models. When I purchased my guitar they were all top level models with an option for different finishes.

My guitar looks like the ones used in the previous videos by Adam, Will and John

I'll use it when I make one of my next videos.
    Last edited by MikeS; 03-19-2017 at 01:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    That's a good site. Greene's arrangements are similar in method to Conti's, in that he shows you how to harmonize nearly every melody note.

Moving from fingers to pick, Joe Pass and Emily Remler held the pick between their lips until they needed it, I think Ed Bickert hybrid-picked everything, and Wes found his own solution.

This might be a good item to include on the "Questions for Conti" list we're starting.
    I recall from one of Conti's DVD's that he puts the pick under his middle finger between the folds of the finger when he switches back and forth between fingers and pick.

User Info Menu

All the videos I played so far I didn't use a pick. No reason for not using a pick. When I purchased my Conti guitar, he included a couple of his favorite Jim Dunlop .38mm nylon picks. I started using this pick when I purchased The Precision Technique Source Code book and have gotten used to playing with it. Up until then I have always use a Fender thin pick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    I have a Conti guitar. I purchased the Black Equity Edition in August 2013. The Conti guitars are made by Peerless to Conti's specifications. I believe Peerless still makes them for Conti.

I couldn't believe it, it played out of the box. After a few days after it got acclimated to my part of the country, I had a slight buzz on the low E string on the seventh fret. A minor adjustment to the truss rod and it has been good ever since. The guitar has very log action and easy to play.

I saw on the web site where they recently came out with some new guitars with an entry, mid and top level models. When I purchased my guitar they were all top level models with an option for different finishes.

My guitar looks like the ones used in the previous videos by Adam, Will and John

I'll use it when I make one of my next videos.
    That's helpful -- I've been a low-action freak ever since my first guitar: an ancient, Sears Silvertone acoustic with a loose neck and egg-slicer action. If cell phones had been around back then, you could have easily slipped one between the strings and frets somewhere around the 5th position or so. I didn't know much different, so all subsequent guitars seems fine by comparison until -- over a decade later -- I finally got my hands on a good one.

You read every now and then about some guys who say they like the guitar to fight back a little, but I think that's for the birds. It's hard enough to play, without having to wrestle the thing into submission.

User Info Menu

That's helpful -- I've been a low-action freak ever since my first guitar: an ancient, Sears Silvertone acoustic with a loose neck and egg-slicer action. If cell phones had been around back then, you could have easily slipped one between the strings and frets somewhere around the 5th position or so. I didn't know much different, so all subsequent guitars seems fine by comparison until -- over a decade later -- I finally got my hands on a good one.

You read every now and then about some guys who say they like the guitar to fight back a little, but I think that's for the birds. It's hard enough to play, without having to wrestle the thing into submission.
    I agree low action is the only way to go. I believe it was Chet Atkins who said, "Do you play the guitar or does the guitar play you."

User Info Menu

Been away all weekend. Here's my post for bars 1-24. Played it pretty straight. Need to spring for another web cam. Next post will be melody + 32 bar solo. Time permitting, I may try a couple of variations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Been away all weekend. Here's my post for bars 1-24. Played it pretty straight. Need to spring for another web cam. Next post will be melody + 32 bar solo. Time permitting, I may try a couple of variations.

Nice! Love the tone and feel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Nice!
    If you'll forgive my saying so, I'd like to hear you lay back even more. With that sweet tone, you're really onto something, Lawson.
    Thanks! I was intentionally playing this as cleanly and correctly as possible. As I get it in my head I hope it'll become something I can both play, and play with.

User Info Menu

My action is medium. With low action, it is too easy (-for me, anyway) to sound a string unintentionally. (If I touch a string, it touches a fret.)

I've been reading a book about Freddie Green (written by his son, Alfred.) Freddie's mainstay road guitar for years had the highest action ever seen (--on a good guitar used by a professional player): at the 12th fret, the high E string was 1/2" above the fingerboard. Yikes! That was hard to play. But it gave him volume he needed, and made it easy to finger chords without sounding all the notes. (He might finger one chord but only sound one note of it, or one note on one beat and two on the next.)

User Info Menu

Great job, well played. You are making a great recording of the audio, could you please give us a break down of the gear and process of the audio please, I am finding it difficult to get the sound I hear in the room and my recording anywhere near each other.

User Info Menu

Wow. Duplicating on nice but not studio gear the exact sound we get in the room, to our ears, is the Holy Grail and likely an unreachable one.

I vacillate between mic'ing the cabinet and going direct from the pre-amp. Ironically, sometimes my most accurate recording has simply been the microphone in my iPhone! I think I might try a mic farther back from the amp next time.

User Info Menu

Great job, well played. You are making a great recording of the audio, could you please give us a break down of the gear and process of the audio please, I am finding it difficult to get the sound I hear in the room and my recording anywhere near each other.

Thanks Andy for the kind words regarding my audio/tone. It is ridiculous how little I know about recording and how much I hate turning knobs. Here's my info:

Guitar: 1996 Gibson L5 CES
    Strings: Pyramid gold pure nickel flat wound strings (12 high E). I think these are what my luthier put on the guitar. I always used Thomastic 13 flats but when I got the L5 it buzzed. As part of the process to "get rid of the buzz", he slapped on some Pyramids (at least that's what I think he used).
    Pick: Dunlop tortex .50mm
    Amp: Brunetti Singleman 16 watt, one 12" speaker. I put it on the 1 watt setting (it has 1, 8, 16) and tweed setting (it has full, smooth, and tweed). From what I know, the Brunetti is kind of like a Fender Princeton Reverb.
    Backing Track: Band In A Box. I use the Conti changes from the PDF with a 2 bar intro.
    Microphone: Yeti USB (that I borrowed from my teenage daughter). I think this might be the secret sauce!

Recording process.
    1) I play the BIAB backing track on my windows XP desktop and use the earphone jack to play it through my Yamaha G100-115. For the next TTI project, I will try using my Bluetooth JBL speaker since the earphone out cord with a jack causes the Yamaha amp to buzz.
    2) I set the Yedi USB mic (360 mode) between the Yamaha (backing track) and Brunetti (guitar) but closer to the Brunetti (6-8 inches from the speaker). The amps are almost facing each other with the mic in the middle.
    3) I record the video and sound together using Microsoft Movie Maker (this software has been deprecated and isn't available on my wife's Windows 7 machine). I generally need multiple practice takes to balance the guitar and backing track volume.

Other stuff:
    - Until I joined this study group, I never recorded myself. So I am making it up as I go.
    - I am going to take Lawson's advice and make recording a regular part of my practice routine.
    - I did download Audacity which will allow me to record the backing track and guitar on separate tracks. I was not happy with the results of my first attempt to multi-track. It sounded kind of sterile.
    - I am a bit OCD and I promised myself that I will NOT let recording get in the way of playing/practicing! I only get about 1 hour a night to play.

Let me know if you need any more info.

User Info Menu

So here's my run at the "head" and the solo, played at a performance appropriate tempo of about 120-130 bpm. I was having trouble hearing my backing track on the head, and I also find the "head" portions of the Aebersold recording a little hard to play with anyhow. But it's a take on the head, and then the solo. Clams aplenty. I wish I could just post perfect clips of pristine playing, but it seems I can't deliver 64 measures of clean execution (*yet* but hope never dies!).

Playing the Elitist Broadway through the Polytone, mic'ed with a "Bluebird" microphone.

User Info Menu

Thanks Andy for the kind words regarding my audio/tone. It is ridiculous how little I know about recording and how much I hate turning knobs. Here's my info:

Guitar: 1996 Gibson L5 CES
    Strings: Pyramid gold pure nickel flat wound strings (12 high E). I think these are what my luthier put on the guitar. I always used Thomastic 13 flats but when I got the L5 it buzzed. As part of the process to "get rid of the buzz", he slapped on some Pyramids (at least that's what I think he used).
    Pick: Dunlop tortex .50mm
    Amp: Brunetti Singleman 16 watt, one 12" speaker. I put it on the 1 watt setting (it has 1, 8, 16) and tweed setting (it has full, smooth, and tweed). From what I know, the Brunetti is kind of like a Fender Princeton Reverb.
    Backing Track: Band In A Box. I use the Conti changes from the PDF with a 2 bar intro.
    Microphone: Yeti USB (that I borrowed from my teenage daughter). I think this might be the secret sauce!

Recording process.
    1) I play the BIAB backing track on my windows XP desktop and use the earphone jack to play it through my Yamaha G100-115. For the next TTI project, I will try using my Bluetooth JBL speaker since the earphone out cord with a jack causes the Yamaha amp to buzz.
    2) I set the Yedi USB mic (360 mode) between the Yamaha (backing track) and Brunetti (guitar) but closer to the Brunetti (6-8 inches from the speaker). The amps are almost facing each other with the mic in the middle.
    3) I record the video and sound together using Microsoft Movie Maker (this software has been deprecated and isn't available on my wife's Windows 7 machine). I generally need multiple practice takes to balance the guitar and backing track volume.

Other stuff:
    - Until I joined this study group, I never recorded myself. So I am making it up as I go.
    - I am going to take Lawson's advice and make recording a regular part of my practice routine.
    - I did download Audacity which will allow me to record the backing track and guitar on separate tracks. I was not happy with the results of my first attempt to multi-track. It sounded kind of sterile.
    - I am a bit OCD and I promised myself that I will NOT let recording get in the way of playing/practicing! I only get about 1 hour a night to play.

Let me know if you need any more info.
    Thanks for the detailed reply, your right and I don't want to spend to much time on the recording side of things either. I have been playing around with microphone placement tonight, it's amazing how a inch of movement can effect the recorded sound.
    When I get the sound right I will take a look in to video, a whole different can of worms.

User Info Menu

I always record a chunk of my practice, and today I decided to do the solo on each of 3 L5ces clones: the Epiphone Elitist Broadway, the Aria Pro II PE180, and the Epiphone Peerless Broadway. All through a Polytone Minibrute II, EQ flat all the way across, mic'd with a Bluebird microphone. It's funny, playing these guitars I can hear very different nuances in their sound, but on recordings, maybe it's YouTube's compression (??) they end up sounding very close to each other.

Note: the Epiphone Peerless Broadway has a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover in the neck position.