The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 306

User Info Menu

I stole your title, Mark -- hope you don't mind!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Satin Doll Bars 1-8

Mike

User Info Menu

On to bars 9-16!

If you recently ordered the DVD, or if -- for whatever reason -- you haven't had a chance to post yourself playing bars 1-8, don't worry about it. Post what you can, when you can, and we'll be here to root for you.

http://www.wpuniversity.com/wp-conte...-together1.png

User Info Menu

Still waiting on my copy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Still waiting on my copy.
    Have you received a shipping notice?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    On to bars 9-16!
    Great! I went over those lines this morning while practicing. May record them tonight.

User Info Menu

I have 9-16 under my fingers, but not up to tempo.

BTW I am enjoying using the Aebersold track from Vol. 54 Maiden Voyage. The "Satin Doll" track on there is at about 90 bpm. I use Capo! software on my iPad to adjust the tempo down or up to suit my particular point. Capo! also allows you to loop a section if you want to drill on something specific. I know there are other apps as well--I mainly just wanted to call attention to the Aebersold track. It's humans playing, piano, bass, drums, and it is a good feeling track to work with.

User Info Menu

It took a day too memorize 1-8, but getting it under my fingers took all of a week. I'm still at 70-75 bpm, and messing up regularly. I think I'll record something just to get "on the record". Maybe it'll encourage someone else that they aren't as bad as they think (or at least not as bad as me). Look forward to it!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

How are you editing a backing track to play along with bars 9-16? I tried to edit Conti's midi file in BIAB by deleting everything but bars 9-16 and converting it to a wav file. On playback it started from bar 1 again and after about 8 bars in the track was garbled. I tried all the BIAB conversions to mp3, wav, wma and mp4 all with the same result.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    How are you editing a backing track to play along with bars 9-16? I tried to edit Conti's midi file in BIAB by deleting everything but bars 9-16 and converting it to a wav file.
    You might export it to wave first and then edit the wave. (I use Audacity) Or import it in a music editor (I have Print Music ), cut the bars, and save as midi or wave.

User Info Menu

Here it is. Just metronome, no track. (Don't have one slow enough Satin Doll - Robert Conti's Ticket to Improv ) Just audio, no video. (Learning curve)

Listen to Satin Doll 1 - 8 by Denny Gomez #np on #SoundCloud

I can really see all the skills I DON'T have that I need for this. This will be a great study for me. I know I'll improve 1-8 as I work on 9-16.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennygomez
    You might export it to wave first and then edit the wave. (I use Audacity) Or import it in a music editor (I have Print Music ), cut the bars, and save as midi or wave.
    I'll have to check out a music (midi) editor and edit it in Adobe Audition.

Thanks for the tip.

Mike

User Info Menu

Here it is. Just metronome, no track. (Don't have one slow enough Satin Doll - Robert Conti's Ticket to Improv ) Just audio, no video. (Learning curve)

Listen to Satin Doll 1 - 8 by Denny Gomez #np on #SoundCloud

I can really see all the skills I DON'T have that I need for this. This will be a great study for me. I know I'll improve 1-8 as I work on 9-16.
    Pretty good!!

Mike

User Info Menu

Something terrible happens above 75 bpm. The room tilts, the walls go jello, I hear my grandmother's ghost calling me to tea.

User Info Menu

Something terrible happens above 75 bpm. The room tilts, the walls go jello, I hear my grandmother's ghost calling me to tea.
    My fingers just turn to jello.

Mike

User Info Menu

Some random musings for the study group:
    - I plan on downloading the Aebersold track for "Satin Doll" ($0.99 at Amazon).
    - Transcribe is my go to software for slowing things down, looping, and changing pitch. I expect it to work perfectly with the Aebersold mp3 for isolating 8 bar phrases. Unfortunately, it does not handle midi files.
    - I also use BIAB quite a bit for backing tracks. In the case of Conti bars 9-16, I just typed in the chord progression provided in the PDF.
    - Lastly, I was thinking of posting 2 videos this week, bars 9-16 and 1-16. This is my first study group so I'm not sure of the proper protocol.
    - Still need to figure out why my videos are slow/blurry. Could be the web cam or it could be that I'm still running Windows XP. Yikes!

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Some random musings .....
    - Still need to figure out why my videos are slow/blurry. Could be the web cam or it could be that I'm still running Windows XP. Yikes!

Cheers.
    A quick test: take a still with that same camera. It'd it's blurry, then the lens/camera is a bum. However "slow" is usually processor speed.

Another test: watch a video made on something else. Clear but jerky? Processor. Clear and smooth? Computer doesn't record well but you can use something else to record. Blurry and slow: new computer.

They obsolete computer models by automatically updating soft ware to the higher (newer/more expensive) standard.

RE: putting more bars on your uploads... My vote is "go for it!" I've already learned a lot from the guys that UL'd additional material. I'm still working on that stuff. Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

- Transcribe is my go to software for slowing things down, looping, and changing pitch. I expect it to work perfectly with the Aebersold mp3 for isolating 8 bar phrases. Unfortunately, it does not handle midi files.
    - I also use BIAB quite a bit for backing tracks. In the case of Conti bars 9-16, I just typed in the chord progression provided in the PDF.
    - Lastly, I was thinking of posting 2 videos this week, bars 9-16 and 1-16. This is my first study group so I'm not sure of the proper protocol.

Cheers.
    As a quick fix, I'll input bars 9-16 in BIAB.

I like the idea of submitting bars 1-8, 1-16, 1-24 and 1-32 after the individual 8 bar submissions. A good test for learning the whole thing.

My web cam is blurry too. My web cam stopped working with Windows 10. I was able to sub a Windows 10 driver, but lost all original functionally and features including auto focus. I've got a Logitech C920 coming in the next couple of days. It has a lot of good reviews.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeS; 03-09-2017 at 05:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Cheers.
    I think you can post whatever you like. I like seeing others' progress, sometimes on the same section the same week. In another group, we often post a clip at slow speed focusing on fingering, then another at tempo for the whole effect. I think that other than trying to post every week, there aren't many rules to worry about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    BTW I am enjoying using the Aebersold track from Vol. 54 Maiden Voyage. The "Satin Doll" track on there is at about 90 bpm. .
    I like that track too. (That whole CD is good. The Bb blues is especially fun, and "Watermelon Man." I give my mom a "concert" some Saturday nights and she always likes it when I play-along with "WM." She's a pianist and loves that groove.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    . I've got a Logitech C920 coming in the next couple of days. It has a lot of good reviews.
    That's what I have. Got it Christmas. Much better picture than the one I had before. Sound is better too. It's a nice piece of equipment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I have 9-16 under my fingers, but not up to tempo.

BTW I am enjoying using the Aebersold track from Vol. 54 Maiden Voyage. The "Satin Doll" track on there is at about 90 bpm. I use Capo! software on my iPad to adjust the tempo down or up to suit my particular point. Capo! also allows you to loop a section if you want to drill on something specific. I know there are other apps as well--I mainly just wanted to call attention to the Aebersold track. It's humans playing, piano, bass, drums, and it is a good feeling track to work with.
    Thanks for the reminder -- I have Vol. 54, but didn't think about using it. I'm often not as smart as I need to be.

User Info Menu

I was thinking of posting 2 videos this week, bars 9-16 and 1-16. This is my first study group so I'm not sure of the proper protocol.
    That's a good idea . . . connect the old stuff to the new stuff. In Project 4, we'll break them all apart and recombine what we want, but it's important to see how the ideas connect in each individual solo first, to get a feel for how to flow from one part of the neck to another. I may do the same myself, now that you mention it.

Thanks, Joe!

User Info Menu

It took a day too memorize 1-8, but getting it under my fingers took all of a week. I'm still at 70-75 bpm, and messing up regularly. I think I'll record something just to get "on the record". Maybe it'll encourage someone else that they aren't as bad as they think (or at least not as bad as me). Look forward to it!

No pressure on the posting -- put something up when you feel ready, but don't worry about whether it's "good enough" for us to see. We're fans, not critics.

User Info Menu

After a few days of holding the pick b/w thumb and middle (or 2nd) finger (because I had hurt my index), I put the pick back where it belongs this morning and gave this a go.