Here is my effort at the 1st 8 bars.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Good one!!

Mike

User Info Menu

Although we are a group----and if I may say so, a fine group!---each of us will learn at his or her own pace. There's no other way for it to happen.

User Info Menu

On the Raney group, where we only go 4 bars a week, it has worked well to say (a) we have a "deadline" of Monday for each section, but (b) we know lots of folks will come along late and that's fine. We also often post a first effort on the deadline, maybe not up to tempo, still struggling with some material, but still keeping our hands on the project. then later a more polished post comes up.

I think combining a clear schedule with a really accepting attitude is the best of both worlds.

User Info Menu

Sounds good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    On the Raney group, where we only go 4 bars a week, it has worked well to say (a) we have a "deadline" of Monday for each section, but (b) we know lots of folks will come along late and that's fine. We also often post a first effort on the deadline, maybe not up to tempo, still struggling with some material, but still keeping our hands on the project. then later a more polished post comes up.

I think combining a clear schedule with a really accepting attitude is the best of both worlds.
    So as not to conflict with the schedule of the Raney group, let's have our "deadlines" be on Tuesdays, if that is acceptable to most. That puts our first "post by" date at March 7.

You can post before the deadline, of course, submit a given section as many times as you like, and take more time if you're not ready by the appointed date, but -- for organizational purposes -- I suggest this schedule:

Bars 1-8: March 7
    Bars 9-16: March 14
    Bars 17-24: March 21
    Bars 25-32: March 28

User Info Menu

While a bit out of scope for this Study group, here are two links from the JGO site relating to Satin Doll:

Easy Satin Doll Chord Melody For Guitar
    Satin Doll Jazz Guitar Chord Study

As I mentioned in an earlier post, in addition to learning the Conti material I am trying to learn the chords and melody (as my time permits).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    While a bit out of scope for this Study group, here are two links from the JGO site relating to Satin Doll:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, in addition to learning the Conti material I am trying to learn the chords and melody (as my time permits).
    Thanks, Joe -- learning tunes is what it's all about.

User Info Menu

My take: I got the material and got a rough version at the rate of 4 bars a day. ROUGH! like "uh, wait a second, that's not it! "
    Now I'm out of town till tomorrow. No instrument. Isn't that life? I believe I can do a video on it this week.
    So 8 bars is not too fast, and more is possible, depending on what we expect from ourselves and one another.
    It's okay to let this first project tell us what's best, no?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe

Just a thought . . . when we've worked through the "Satin Doll" solo (March 28), those who are practicing it in the context of the tune might want to submit a video of themselves playing any or all of the following -- either as a whole piece or as separate recordings:

melody
    chord melody
    comping
    solo (Conti's of course, but feel welcome to share whatever else you'd like, as well)

User Info Menu

Nice. What backing track did you use?

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Dennygomez;748880]Nice. What backing track did you use?

I have ireal pro on my iPad, so I exported the track as a wav.

Then I played along to the backing track and recorded the guitar part on a zoom H1 recorder, then merged the 2 tracks in Audacity.

That was probably more info than you wanted, if you, or anyone want's a copy of the backing track PM me and we can get something sorted out.

Andy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    So as not to conflict with the schedule of the Raney group, let's have our "deadlines" be on Tuesdays, if that is acceptable to most. That puts our first "post by" date at March 7.
    I like this! I just posted my Raney installment (due tomorrow) today. I started on the Vignola etude for that group but it didn't work out so well. (I may take another crack at that tonight.) "Tuesdays with Conti" (so to speak) sounds good to me. (Maybe "Fridays with Frank" will work for the members of that group...)

I appreciate having a goal and an action tied to it. (Posting a video.) Now that I have a tripod for my camera and can set it up without much fuss, I feel like I'm 'back in the game' of being accountable for what I'm working on. This helps with my worst tendency: farting around with fourteen different things on any given day instead of looking at "what's due next" and making some headway there. ;o)

User Info Menu

Yes! Well said. +1, even.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennygomez
    It's okay to let this first project tell us what's best, no?
    This is the thing we'll find out, and I'm glad someone noticed it. Any predetermined pace and schedule is just a place to start, and nothing we're locked into if we later agree on something else.

Let's get this one done, and decide on the way if it's how we want to keep doing it.

Thanks, Denny!

User Info Menu

Since we're already posting, here is my take at the first 8 bars. May do this again in a few days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Since we're already posting, here is my take at the first 8 bars. May do this again in a few days.

Sounding good, Mark! Was that with the backing track off the DVD?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    Sounding good, Mark! Was that with the backing track off the DVD?

Thanks! Yes, that was Conti's backing track, with the two-bar intro. (For anyone curious, I'm playing a C6, B7#5, Bb13, A7 there: a turnaround to Dm7.)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Yeah I like that. The solo just starts like you were playing in a club!

User Info Menu

Here's my take on the first 8 measures. I find the run in mm. 7-8 can be hard to get right as to "feel." I keep hitting that final E note on 3 instead of on the "and" of 2.

For fun, 2 guitars. Aria Pro II PE180 and Gibson 1959 VOS ES175D.

User Info Menu

Here's my take on the first 8 measures. I find the run in mm. 7-8 can be hard to get right as to "feel." I keep hitting that final E note on 3 instead of on the "and" of 2.

For fun, 2 guitars. Aria Pro II PE180 and Gibson 1959 VOS ES175D.
    Good job on the first eight.

Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lickerz101
    Good job on the head too. What backing track did you use?

Mike

User Info Menu

Sounds like lickerz is using the real book track...If I'm hearing right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lickerz101

Nice. Was that the Jamey Aebersold Backing track ?