The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 306

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

Maybe my first clip will be the unboxing...
    Lawson, you may have been spending too much time on Facebook! ;o)

Have you received a shipping notice?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Lawson, you may have been spending too much time on Facebook! ;o)

Have you received a shipping notice?
    I just checked the tracking notice and it's due to deliver TOMORROW (Thursday).

"Satin Doll" was the first jazz standard I tried to learn, the first one I ever had a kind of "breath through" on and one that I obsess over constantly. How many II-Vs can you fit into one song?

I have also learned that except for 2 spots, you can solo over the entire thing using only the Am Pentatonic scale. You won't make history, but you will make music. In two spots the scale needs to drop back a half step, but otherwise the Am Pentatonic or "blues" scale can cover the whole tune.

User Info Menu

You guys are driving me crazy with the clips... I'm still waiting for my books to arrive so I'm chomping a little at the proverbial bit. Soon as they get here I will be starting in.

Maybe my first clip will be the unboxing...
    You could live-stream it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    I know Conti emphasizes over and over you learn by playing your instrument. In the Source Code Jazz Lines book he says students are always asking him about what is he thinking when improvising over a IIm7 - V7 - I. In the first portion of his response he said he treats the entire cadence as a "One."

I don't think we need to get into extensive theory here, but has anyone broken down what he teaches over the "Satin Doll" solo and how it relates to his response above?

Mike
    I haven't, not really. Other than notice which lines are over major, minor, or dominant chords -- or progressions such as ii-V or turnarounds. Conti explains a few things here and there on the DVD, so I try to understand those things; but for now, I'm just playing the lines -- over and over -- trying to get fluent. I'll think about it a little harder when I get to Project 4 and beyond.

User Info Menu

In addition to Lawson, who else is waiting for the DVD? Just curious.

User Info Menu

I just ordered Volume 1. I hope to post something soon.

User Info Menu

I's wait'n

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I just ordered Volume 1. I hope to post something soon.
    That's great -- glad you're in!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennygomez
    I's wait'n

They're pretty quick about getting things sent out. I ordered a Play Pro Chord Melody Today! DVD on Friday, and it arrived on Monday. Hope yours arrives soon.

User Info Menu

It shipped Monday, per the Conti-ites

User Info Menu

It was in my mailbox today. Can you say "late night printing session"? I knew you could!

User Info Menu

Quote MikeS:

"I don't think we need to get into extensive theory here, but has anyone broken down what he teaches over the "Satin Doll" solo and how it relates to his response above?"

He is fond of starting with the "4" chord (a general sub for a "tension" chord) inverted with the 7th tucked under.

E.g. Fmaj 7 = F A C E. So he'll play E F A C.

He may have internalized that sub so much that he's thinking of the general tonic.

User Info Menu

It was in my mailbox today. Can you say "late night printing session"? I knew you could!

Glad you got it -- have fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzinNY
    He is fond of starting with the "4" chord (a general sub for a "tension" chord) inverted with the 7th tucked under.

E.g. Fmaj 7 = F A C E. So he'll play E F A C.

He may have internalized that sub so much that he's thinking of the general tonic.
    If I am reading this right, in bar one he is seeing the Dm7, G7 as one and substituting it with an Fmaj7 thereby covering the both the Dm7 and G7 chords with basically one chord.

Mike

User Info Menu

Will Band in a Box import these midi files so I can hear better backing tracks?

User Info Menu

Will Band in a Box import these midi files so I can hear better backing tracks?
    The tracks (Midi and mp3) that come with Conti's DVD are fine. For those who are new to Conti, you may not know that the transcripts and audio files are on the DVD. Open the DVD on your computer and you'll find the files. You can print the transcriptions and download the audio files.

Jimmy Bruno uses BIAB for the backing tracks he provides students. Here's my take of "Satin Doll" with a Freddie Green style comp. (The tempo is around 140.) This is a good tune (or set of changes) to practice swing comping on.

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 03-02-2017 at 06:46 PM.

User Info Menu

"...Here's my take of "Satin Doll" with a Freddie Green style comp. "

I really appreciate how efficient those chords grips are, and the capture everything I'm hearing in the Real Book arrangement.

User Info Menu

So while awaiting the arrival of my DVDs, I decided to post a clip simply playing the head at a moderate tempo. This is without a backing track, but it's not really a "solo guitar arrangement." First, it's not an arrangement. I've played SD for 25 years and nowadays when i play the "head" I honestly have no idea what's going to come out in terms of voicings. That said, I do understand everything I play in this, and can explain any voicing or grip if anyone is interested.

Also, it's not "solo guitar" in that I don't try to harmonize the whole thing, don't do consistent bass lines, etc. This is more or less how I'd play it if I had a bass and drums in a trio. With a piano in the mix, I'd hold back on the chordal stuff a bit more too.

The guitar is a stock Peerless Monarch 17" and seriously, you wouldn't believe the pickup on this thing. BTW for those signal-chain-geeks out there, I'm playing through a DV Mark Micro 50 head, a 10" speaker, and I'm using the direct line from the amp on one side and a Shure SM 57 to catch the sound from the speaker.

I feel pretty strongly-- but I wouldn't push this on anyone else--that when I learn a pre-written or transcribed solo for a standard, I want to be able to play the head and then play the solo, sort of simulating being a "real jazz guitar player."

Like Frank Sinatra said, "...it'll have to do, until the real thing comes along!"

User Info Menu

I like that, Lawson-stone. That's a nice comp and melodic solo. Cool.

User Info Menu

I feel pretty strongly-- but I wouldn't push this on anyone else--that when I learn a pre-written or transcribed solo for a standard, I want to be able to play the head and then play the solo, sort of simulating being a "real jazz guitar player."
    I agree -- although I've only recently learned the value of it. Going through a tune by playing the head, taking a crack at a solo (even one that's been transcribed, which is all I'm able to do), then comping a verse or two is a good way to practice shifting gears in real time with a particular piece.

Nice playing, by the way -- I liked the way you moved between chords, lines, and bass notes. I'm not there, myself, but now I've got a new goal!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Here's my take of "Satin Doll" with a Freddie Green style comp. (The tempo is around 140.) This is a good tune (or set of changes) to practice swing comping on.
    Good stuff -- something I need to work on, for sure.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=lawson-stone;747969]

Ditto! When I started with Conti's TTl series I was determined to use it as an opportunity to learn songs (not just solos) and build a repertoire (including chords/comping, melody, and solo). My biggest problem is remembering the song when I move on to the next one... sigh...

I really enjoyed your playing Lawson-Stone! Great motivation for me to get to work on the weekend.

User Info Menu

I feel that way too. And if you can comp / sing a chorus, all the better! And if you can take it the next level like Bucky's boy John Pizzarelli does here, look out! (Not "Satin Doll," but another Ellington classic.)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have decided to join in after all, and I will be working through Satin Doll with you lot.

I have been thinking about how to get this down, so that I can see a chord on a lead sheet, and then have a line that will fit.

So what do you think about this approach?

Firstly, learn the lines as written.

Then see where the line starts per bar or chord, then work out a visual cue on the fretboard that I can use as a reference point.

So for example in bar 1 Dm7/G7. this line starts with a E, so that cue could be find D 5th string root on the fret board then move up 2 frets to start the line on the E.