The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 306

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    I believe this is an example where Conti simplifies it more by playing an Fmaj7 form over the Dm7 and G7. In his book The Jazz Lines he says, "If you want to play the unaltered extensions over a G7 or Dm7, simply think of the Major 7th form One Whole Step Down from G7 (i.e. Fma7), as the notes of any Fma7 form will state all of the unaltered G7 extensions."
    Conti thinks a lot in terms of major chord forms. F major 6 is the same thing as D minor 7. (F6 = F A C D; D-7 = D F A C.) Joe Pass liked to use the IVMaj 7 arp over a V7 chord.) And if you want the altered extensions, you move up a minor 3rd. (Or, in this case, AbMaj7 = Ab C Eb G, or b9, 11, #5 (technically, D#) and root.) It's much easier to "compute" this way. But that may be another study group!

Though let us not forget, Conti has said he would answer some of our questions. (Probably via video.) We can keep track of the things we would most like for him to tell us.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Makes sense, I mean the key is C, and the ii-V7-I basically is a tension movement. Mostly we think in terms of it as an elaborated V7-I, but the ii is easily seen as an elaboration of the IV chord.

What intrigues me is how it works over the Em7-A7.
    I agree, it is intriguing how it can also work over the Em7-A7 chords.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Conti thinks a lot in terms of major chord forms. F major 6 is the same thing as D minor 7. (F6 = F A C D; D-7 = D F A C.) Joe Pass liked to use the IVMaj 7 arp over a V7 chord.) And if you want the altered extensions, you move up a minor 3rd. (Or, in this case, AbMaj7 = Ab C Eb G, or b9, 11, #5 (technically, D#) and root.) It's much easier to "compute" this way. But that may be another study group!

Though let us not forget, Conti has said he would answer some of our questions. (Probably via video.) We can keep track of the things we would most like for him to tell us.
    Conti also uses a similar approach as Joe Pass if you want the altered extensions. Conti says to move up a half step from the V7. Different approach same results. Every interesting if we get to another study group.

User Info Menu

From the partial view, I figured an L5ces or a really nice clone like the Aria PE180. Right now I settle for the clones (Aria Pro II PE180 and an Epiphone Elitist Broadway) but someday I'm going to pull the trigger on buying an L5ces.
    Hi Lawson -- If you look in the background of my Bars 1-16 video you will see a Yamaha AE1200S, which is a mid-1980s Japanese clone of an L5. The Yamahas and Arias are really fine guitars and great values. The Gibson L5 was my mid-life crisis and/or a reward for raising 4 children.

User Info Menu

Is there a mistake in the tabs? I see a G natural at the end of bar 14

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennygomez
    Is there a mistake in the tabs? I see a G natural at the end of bar 14

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Looks like they just left it out of the tab. I play it on the 4th string, 5th fret.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I will contact them tonight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just curious -- what did you find out?

User Info Menu

Partway there for the next section, up through m. 20 at a pretty decent tempo.

The upcoming week promises to be a little crazy and I might not have time to do another clip, so I'm posting this much for now. Also experimenting with my recording technique a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    Just curious -- what did you find out?
    I found out that it is somewhere between Richmond BC (West Coast just north of Seattle) and Toronto (Central East just north of Buffalo). I am hoping that it gets to me Monday or Tuesday.

User Info Menu

I found out that it is somewhere between Richmond BC (West Coast just north of Seattle) and Toronto (Central East just north of Buffalo). I am hoping that it gets to me Monday or Tuesday.
    Somewhere between BC and Toronto? That's quite a range. I hope it arrives soon.

When you get it, I anticipate that you'll be able to learn it enough to get caught up pretty quickly. No rush, though -- post any section(s) you want, whenever you feel ready.

Glad you were able to track it down and get at least some idea of its whereabouts.

User Info Menu

Good job on the head too. What backing track did you use?

Mike
    Backing track is from Hal Leonard Guitar Play along Vol. 16.Thanks Mike

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Somewhere between BC and Toronto? That's quite a range. I hope it arrives soon.

When you get it, I anticipate that you'll be able to learn it enough to get caught up pretty quickly. No rush, though -- post any section(s) you want, whenever you feel ready.

Glad you were able to track it down and get at least some idea of its whereabouts.
    The Robert Conti DVD arrived today. I am already working on it !! I hope to post something by the end of the week.

User Info Menu

The Robert Conti DVD arrived today. I am already working on it !! I hope to post something by the end of the week.
    That's great -- thanks for letting us know!

User Info Menu

Thought I'd play the next 8 bars (-the bridge) in context. Wound up muffing something easy in the bridge but kept going and forgot to stop, so I played the whole solo. May do this again---I think it's getting better but it's still not what it should be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Thought I'd play the next 8 bars (-the bridge) in context. Wound up muffing something easy in the bridge but kept going and forgot to stop, so I played the whole solo. May do this again---I think it's getting better but it's still not what it should be.
    Sounds good, Mark! Those double-stops at the end tend to trip me up, but you nailed them.

User Info Menu

Bars 1-16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Bars 1-16
    Sounds good, Andy!

User Info Menu

I have to say I'm getting a lot out of watching the instructional videos. I didn't think just watching him do the fingering would be that interesting, but his overall content and advice is hitting me right where I'm needing it. He tosses in just a tad of working-theory just when it's helpful.

Here's my take up through the bridge, mm. 1-24. I still feel a little rough on mm 23-24.

Also, I tried a different approach to recording. Normally I go with my amp, play the background through another amp, mic them or go direct to a box that sends them to my iPhone. For this I just plugged everything into the box and then into the computer, recording with Screenflow. I was actually pretty pleased at how well it turned out.

User Info Menu

I have to say I'm getting a lot out of watching the instructional videos. I didn't think just watching him do the fingering would be that interesting, but his overall content and advice is hitting me right where I'm needing it. He tosses in just a tad of working-theory just when it's helpful.
    That sounded good! I agree about the DVD: there's a lot more to it than just "here's the solo . . . now you play it." It's more about playing, but Conti delivers quality information throughout.

User Info Menu

That sounded good! I agree about the DVD: there's a lot more to it than just "here's the solo . . . now you play it." It's more about playing, but Conti delivers quality information throughout.
    His "off the sheet" tips can be very helpful. Also, something that doesn't mean much the first or second time you see it may make a lightbulb go on the third time and you say, "O, NOW I get it. Wow, that really helps."

User Info Menu

I'm still kind of sometimey with that chord lick in bars 13-14. This take is pretty typical of how it usually turns out. Using the 0.46 Jim Dunlop pick -- not quite as thin as what Conti uses, but I like it pretty well. After trying a variety of picks, I'm giving these a shot, because I can tend to get pretty heavy-handed at times. Subtlety is not one of my best things.

User Info Menu

I'm still kind of sometimey with that chord lick in bars 13-14. This take is pretty typical of how it usually turns out. Using the 0.46 Jim Dunlop pick -- not quite as thin as what Conti uses, but I like it pretty well.
    I used the .38s for a good while, then the .46s. Now I'm using a Medium pick (.72 or so). For me, the .38s had too much 'give.' (I used to think they were "all give", as in providing no resistance at all.) I tend to play unplugged and they were just too danged quiet, especially for rhythm, where a bit (but just a bit) of "chunk" is an asset.

The .36s do provide a very even tone, though.

User Info Menu

This is a worthwhile study group. I hope it will continue with the rest of Robert Conti's TTI solos.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeS; 03-15-2017 at 06:52 PM.

User Info Menu

This is a worthwhile study groups. I hope it will continue with the rest of Robert Conti's TTI solos.
    I agree, on both counts. Nice playing!

User Info Menu

This is a worthwhile study groups. I hope it will continue with the rest of Robert Conti's TTI solos.

Mike
    Something feels a little off with the tempo on this. I know Conti encourages us to make the solo our own, work with the phrasing, etc. But unless it's latency in the recording, I'm having trouble hearing the beat and catching the swing feel. Maybe (just me talking here, one opinion among many others, who are better players than me!) try playing it strictly as notated, making your personal touch in the tone, not the tempo?

I hope I'm not sounding harsh. I don't intend to discourage.