The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 306

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Well done Mike! I really enjoyed your take on the solo. Cheers.
    Thank you. Still working on playing in front of the camera.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here is my effort at Satin Doll with the melody plus the full 32 bar Conti solo. It took a handful of takes but I can live with this one. During the melody section I use a couple of fills that I stole from Graham Dechter (see the video in post #49, 0:45 - 1:05).

Has anyone else experienced the law of diminishing returns? I continue to practice this solo but I'm not necessarily sure I'm producing better results. It must be sign that it is time to move on to project #2, Green Dolphin Street. I look forward to hearing your posts.

Project Epilog: The wife says if she hears me playing Satin Doll one more time she's leaving me.

That sounds really nice! Love those fills. Funny, I've always done Satin Doll as a block-chord or chord-melody approach. I really enjoyed your playing the melody and fills in lines. That was really fresh.

You also have taken full possession of this solo and you're putting your own expression in playing it. Totally cool!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    I noticed the auto focus jumped out once or twice. I'll have to see what's on on this. It does make a big difference though than my old web cam.
    It seems to be a good webcam. I know with mine (different model), the auto-focus seems to kick in if you move toward or away from the camera. That might be what's happening with your video, although it isn't a distraction at all.
    Last edited by snailspace; 03-25-2017 at 02:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I imagine it was easy. I have my home town on my profile, and so he likely used directory assistance. Or maybe figured out the school I teach at and called the switchboard.

Actually, my sense in talking to him was that he's not critical, but encouraging and cheering us on.
    Hi Lawson -- I was just teasing a bit. I'm sure he is very encouraging. What a thrill it must have been to speak with him. All 4 of my grandparents were from Italy, so I bonded immediately with his delivery and mannerisms.

I'm still struggling with the fact that he's watched our videos. How cool is the internet!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    That is exciting -- and it's cool to know he's following the thread and wishing us well. Personally, when the new year rolled around, I was about ready to give up on ever making any real progress in learning this music. I bought every "must-have" jazz guitar book, DVD, or online teacher anyone recommended, and couldn't make head nor tail of most of it. Any time Conti would have a sale, I'd pick something up, if I could, but always put it on the shelf with everything else.

Finally, as I was getting ready to throw in the towel, I looked at all of the Conti materials I had accumulated and realized I'd never really given them an honest shot. Once I started to dig in on it, practice started being fun for the first time in a long time, and I finally feel like I'm starting to get somewhere.

I was in the exact same place as you, I really want to be part of the jazz community here, and go along to the jam sessions to have fun. But I always thought my playing was not good enough, that is why I have been doing the solo guitar thing.
    This group has given me hope that I can get there eventually, thanks for getting it going.

User Info Menu

Here is my effort at Satin Doll with the melody plus the full 32 bar Conti solo. It took a handful of takes but I can live with this one. During the melody section I use a couple of fills that I stole from Graham Dechter (see the video in post #49, 0:45 - 1:05).

Has anyone else experienced the law of diminishing returns? I continue to practice this solo but I'm not necessarily sure I'm producing better results. It must be sign that it is time to move on to project #2, Green Dolphin Street. I look forward to hearing your posts.

Project Epilog: The wife says if she hears me playing Satin Doll one more time she's leaving me.

Great playing once again, I like the fills.
    I was wondering if the lines in the solo could be adapted and used as fills? that might sound nice, and give the listener a taste of what is to come.

User Info Menu

I'm curious about the Latin feel you're using there. That's a very different way to do "Satin Doll" from the typical medium swing style. I never thought of trying that, but have made a note to see how it works that way.
    I love the Latin twist. I once played in a bossa nova group that played this song as a bossa. I loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I love the Latin twist. I once played in a bossa nova group that played this song as a bossa. I loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that my next Conti Post, I will record the chords in a Bossa style and then play Conti's solo over top.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Great playing once again, I like the fills.
    I was wondering if the lines in the solo could be adapted and used as fills? that might sound nice, and give the listener a taste of what is to come.
    Hi Andy -- Thanks for the great suggestion to consider adapting lines from the solo as fills. It makes perfect sense.

User Info Menu

Hi Andy -- Thanks for the great suggestion to consider adapting lines from the solo as fills. It makes perfect sense.
    I will a try it out when I do my final recording, or even video for the Tuesday deadline.

User Info Menu

As we enter the final bars of "Satin Doll," now might be a good time to consider how we want to schedule our study of "Green Dolphin Street," the next solo in our TTI set.

Looking back on our work with this solo, do you think our pace was too fast, too slow, or just right?

Is there anything about the group you think we should change before we move on?

User Info Menu

I thought it was just right. A month is a good block of time to learn a beginning/intermediate solo at a moderate tempo. Slower and some would possibly get bored, faster and it could be discouraging for some.

I'm game for the next project at whatever pace the group chooses.

User Info Menu

I'm with Lawson, a month is about right.

Have you thought about how we proceed after this DVD. Do do you intend doing all 4 of the TTI DVD's? Then on to "The Jazz Lines".

Perhaps that's a question for Mr Conti?

User Info Menu

Have you thought about how we proceed after this DVD. Do do you intend doing all 4 of the TTI DVD's? Then on to "The Jazz Lines".

Perhaps that's a question for Mr Conti?
    Personally, I plan to go through all four volumes of Ticket To Improv. I have them all already, and there are plenty of good lines left to learn. After that, I'd like to try my hand at some of the advanced improv DVDs, too.

However, I don't see why a person couldn't -- after completing one of the entry-level DVDs -- simultaneously study The Jazz Lines, as well. Some have said that studying Conti's chord-melody arrangements while working through The Formula has helped them see how he applies his method to real tunes, and I imagine the same would hold true with a study of improvisation, as well.

Even so, it's an excellent idea to see what Mr. Conti's view is on how best to proceed.

User Info Menu

I also believe that 8 bars/week is about right. The TTI work is just one part of my practice routine. While the Conti Jazz Lines are great (they are an important part of my practice time to improve my technique), my goal is to learn tunes. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Personally, I plan to go through all four volumes of Ticket To Improv. I have them all already, and there are plenty of good lines left to learn. After that, I'd like to try my hand at some of the advanced improv DVDs, too.

However, I don't see why a person couldn't -- after completing one of the entry-level DVDs -- simultaneously study The Jazz Lines, as well. Some have said that studying Conti's chord-melody arrangements while working through The Formula has helped them see how he applies his method to real tunes, and I imagine the same would hold true with a study of improvisation, as well.

Even so, it's an excellent idea to see what Mr. Conti's view is on how best to proceed.
    I imagine Mr. Conti's view is expressed in the fact that he made 4 DVDs in the TtI series. Seems like going through them is a good thing. Also, don't forget, at the end, you have about a dozen standards for which you have a decent solo learned that you can actually play.

Having something to play on a dozen standards, that I can manipulate and adapt and tailor to my own preferences, is a very, very nice outcome. We're looking at about a year's study, and I can say from having spent now almost 2 years on the Jimmy Raney solos, it's a very helpful thing to do. It gives direction to my practicing. I now am practicing ideas from real solos, not just lame arpeggios made slightly less lame by starting on different notes.

Having something to play, and to play around with… that's what I vote for!

User Info Menu

Having something to play on a dozen standards, that I can manipulate and adapt and tailor to my own preferences, is a very, very nice outcome. We're looking at about a year's study, and I can say from having spent now almost 2 years on the Jimmy Raney solos, it's a very helpful thing to do. It gives direction to my practicing. I now am practicing ideas from real solos, not just lame arpeggios made slightly less lame by starting on different notes.

Having something to play, and to play around with… that's what I vote for!
    Good observation. At the end of TTI, v.1, it might be fun to consider an "Extra Credit Bonus Bonus Project," where those who wish to do so take some of the lines we've learned and compose a new solo for one (or more) of the tunes on this DVD.

Something to think about for down the road a bit. There's plenty of time to decide -- and plenty of work to do -- before we get there.

User Info Menu

I would like to go through all the DVD'S as well, I have the first 2 already, so will get on to ordering the others. It takes a while for them to get to the UK. Especially if customs get hold of them, and there is import tax to sort out.

The blues one looks interesting, I am looking forward to that one

Now wasn't there a discount code??

User Info Menu

As we enter the final bars of "Satin Doll," now might be a good time to consider how we want to schedule our study of "Green Dolphin Street," the next solo in our TTI set.

Looking back on our work with this solo, do you think our pace was too fast, too slow, or just right?

Is there anything about the group you think we should change before we move on?
    I think we are on a good pace. I will be catching up to you all this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Now wasn't there a discount code??
    Went back and found this on the original Robert Conti: Ticket To Improv thread:

If you would like to join us in this study group, and don't yet own Ticket To Improv, you can order at www.RobertConti.com or call 888-JAZZ-DVD (529-9383)

Coupon code: TTISTUDY25This coupon will allow members of the study group to save 25% on any single volume, or up to three volumes of Ticket To Improv in a single purchase.

Coupon code: TTISTUDY25FREESHIP

This coupon will allow members of the study group to save 25% on all four volumes of Ticket To Improv (plus any other products they may wish to purchase at the same time), plus they will receive free shipping on their order, no matter where in the world they're located

User Info Menu

If anyone needs me, I'll be over on Green Dolphin Street.

Hey -- if you haven't posted in awhile, if you want to spend more time on this solo, or if you just found out about this group and want to throw your lot in with us: don't feel rushed to move ahead. Take the time you need, and post what (and when) you want -- we're your fan club.
    Last edited by snailspace; 03-26-2017 at 01:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Smooth! Loved it! On to project #2.

User Info Menu

Smooth!
    Thanks, Joe! I like to think my playing has a Keith Stone sort of vibe to it . . .

User Info Menu

Hey -- if you haven't posted in awhile, if you want to spend more time on this solo, or if you just found out about this group and want to throw your lot in with us: don't feel rushed to move ahead. Take the time you need, and post what (and when) you want -- we're your fan club.
    A good finish!! See you on Green Dolphin Street.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    A good finish!! See you on Green Dolphin Street.
    Thanks, Mike!