The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 116

User Info Menu

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I think Conti's "Assembly Line" and "The Formula!" are great things but they are not the same kind of thing as the "Ticket To Improv" series. This is the "Ticket to Improv" study group. One thing at a time, please!

Someone can start another study group on the "Assembly Line," though if you expect the people from this study group to join that one at the same time--and keep up---you're apt to be disappointed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I think Conti's "Assembly Line" and "The Formula!" are great things but they are not the same kind of thing as the "Ticket To Improv" series. This is the "Ticket to Improv" study group. One thing at a time, please!

Someone can start another study group on the "Assembly Line," though if you expect the people from this study group to join that one at the same time--and keep up---you're apt to be disappointed.
    I agree -- one thing at a time. I should have responded to the chord melody question in a private message, so as to not distract from the focus of this thread/study group. My bad.

Thanks, Mark!

User Info Menu

[For those who may not look back to the OP for this just-added information.]

Coupon code: TTISTUDY25This coupon will allow members of the study group to save 25% on any single volume, or up to three volumes of Ticket To Improv in a single purchase.

Coupon code: TTISTUDY25FREESHIP

This coupon will allow members of the study group to save 25% on all four volumes of Ticket To Improv (plus any other products they may wish to purchase at the same time), plus they will receive free shipping on their order, no matter where in the world they're located.

User Info Menu

Coupon code: TTISTUDY25This coupon will allow members of the study group to save 25% on any single volume, or up to three volumes of Ticket To Improv in a single purchase.

This coupon will allow members of the study group to save 25% on all four volumes of Ticket To Improv (plus any other products they may wish to purchase at the same time), plus they will receive free shipping on their order, no matter where in the world they're located.

Just ordered TTI 1.
    I saw a group that has a start date and 4 bar a week schedule with delivery dates. Also video progress uploads to YouTube with optional critiques. (If you post a vid saying "just posting" they promised not to comment on your gaffes)
    I think the actual working group should be in a new thread.
    Who thinks what about this? And do we have an organizer stepping up?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

That's a great deal! I bought them each separately, at full price, and I thought it was a bargain even then, given the amount of content you get. I've bought books at that price, from which I've only used a few pages here and there. There is nothing on these DVDs that you can't learn --and play -- the day you sit down to do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennygomez
    Just ordered TTI 1.
    I saw a group that has a start date and 4 bar a week schedule with delivery dates. Also video progress uploads to YouTube with optional critiques. (If you post a vid saying "just posting" they promised not to comment on your gaffes)
    I think the actual working group should be in a new thread.
    Who thinks what about this? And do we have an organizer stepping up?

Having the group in a new thread is something worth thinking about, just to make it easier to find. I hadn't thought much about where to post progress videos . . . I imagined we'd just put them here, but YouTube might be better.

As far as a schedule, I think it might be worth it to let people get their DVDs and start in on the first solo. I'm no great player, but I was able to get the whole thing down in a couple of sittings, and practice it start to finish many times a day to become fluent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    Having the group in a new thread is something worth thinking about, just to make it easier to find. I hadn't thought much about where to post progress videos . . . I imagined we'd just put them here, but YouTube might be better.

As far as a schedule, I think it might be worth it to let people get their DVDs and start in on the first solo. I'm no great player, but I was able to get the whole thing down in a couple of sittings, and practice it start to finish many times a day to become fluent.
    It may be simpler than some things. Have to wait and see.
    I'm working on a flamenco piece and learned 12 bars in a week. Then the 32nd notes started...SCREECH!
    RE: YOUTUBE the other groups are posting YouTube links. Trying to do a channel would be kind of complicated. Then each person can say, "okay, I shared that. Now, I'm DELETING IT FOREVER! ????

User Info Menu

And didn't someone offer to jumpstart us with the first song?

User Info Menu

Hey, snails, what's the first tune in the study? I want to hear different versions of our while I wait for the postal service to deliver my future.

User Info Menu

"Satin Doll" is the first solo in the series. These solos aren't like the ones in the Jimmy Raney study group -- or Conti's advanced improv solos -- where the tempos are pretty bright. Conti advertises TTI as "entry-level improv," meaning that while the lines still sound good, they're presented in a way that enables the student to get them under his or her fingers sooner: moderate tempos, mostly 8th notes, etc. Challenging, but not daunting, and something I think most folks will find they can quickly learn.

While you wait, Conti's "Players' Gallery" has many examples of students playing lines and arrangements derived from his materials:

Players Gallery | RobertConti.com

User Info Menu

What's the count? I'm for this Tti deal.
    Hey, gang!

PM me if you're interested in joining the group, and let me know whether or not you have Volume One of Ticket To Improv.

If you've ordered it -- or will order it soon -- let me know that, too. Once we get a head count and a good idea of how long it will take for everyone to get what they need, we can talk about how to move forward.

I have a couple of ideas, but I'm sure other people do, too.

User Info Menu

"Satin Doll" is the first solo in the series. These solos aren't like the ones in the Jimmy Raney study group -- or Conti's advanced improv solos -- where the tempos are pretty bright. Conti advertises TTI as "entry-level improv," meaning that while the lines still sound good, they're presented in a way that enables the student to get them under his or her fingers sooner: moderate tempos, mostly 8th notes, etc. Challenging, but not daunting, and something I think most folks will find they can quickly learn.

While you wait, Conti's "Players' Gallery" has many examples of students playing lines and arrangements derived from his materials:

Players Gallery | RobertConti.com
    I just like to hear the music, get it "In me".
    "Let that boy boogie woogie - cause it's in him, and it's GOT to come out! " - John Lee Hooker, "Boogie Chillen'"

User Info Menu

I just like to hear the music, get it "In me".
    "Let that boy boogie woogie - cause it's in him, and it's GOT to come out! " - John Lee Hooker, "Boogie Chillen'"

What key? ("Satin doll", not "boogie chillen" Robert Conti's Ticket To Improv )

User Info Menu

You can also count me in. I already have the DVD.

I think that one of the benefits of having a study group for TTI is that we can try to analyze why Conti plays a given line over some given chords. This aspect gets very little attention on the DVD.

User Info Menu

What key? ("Satin doll", not "boogie chillen" Robert Conti's Ticket To Improv )

"Satin Doll" is in C.

User Info Menu

We can have a separate thread for each solo as we start it. The first one will be something like Conti TTI Group Satin Doll. (Ideally, titles should be short enough to fit--in full--on the screen when someone is scrolling 'New Posts'.)

User Info Menu

We can have a separate thread for each solo as we start it. The first one will be something like Conti TTI Group Satin Doll. (Ideally, titles should be short enough to fit--in full--on the screen when someone is scrolling 'New Posts'.)
    That's a great idea. I'm really glad you're part of this group, because -- aside from being a good person, which is nothing to sneeze at -- you know how to get things done. As for me, once I get beyond, "Hey, guys -- let's start a study group," I'm pretty much just guessing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliveR
    I'm for this
    That's great -- it should be fun! Do you have the DVD?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lickerz101
    Count me in

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk
    You're in! Do you have the DVD?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jfcx
    You can also count me in. I already have the DVD.

I think that one of the benefits of having a study group for TTI is that we can try to analyze why Conti plays a given line over some given chords. This aspect gets very little attention on the DVD.
    That's great! I agree about the benefits of this as a study group. Plus, when we get to the Bonus Project, it will be a fun way to get new ideas for how to use the lines . . . a master class, sort of.

User Info Menu

If I read everything correctly, it looks like we have seven members:

CliveR
    Dennygomez
    jfcx
    lickerz101
    losaltosjoe
    MarkRhodes
    snailspace

Denny has ordered TTIv1, and most of the rest of us say we have it. I haven't heard back on that yet from lickerz and CliveR, but I'm sure we'll get an update soon.

In the meantime, let's talk about a timeline and where we'll post. Once everyone has the DVD, I imagined two weeks per solo. Based on my experience with it (I'm working on "Satin Doll" right now), that seems to be enough time to not only learn the solo, but to really know it -- to get it under your fingers and into your head, with a chance to play with different phrasing and to observe which parts work with the different chord types.

Since I haven't done much with uploading things to YouTube, I figured we'd just post our videos here, if that's possible.

These are just suggestions to get the discussion started. If you have other preferences, or if there is a downside that I've overlooked, or if the timeline is too fast/slow -- let's talk about it and get it figured out before this thing gets off the ground.

Let me know what you think . . .
    Last edited by snailspace; 02-24-2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Correction. I overlooked that jfcx had already mentioned owning the DVD. My bad.

User Info Menu

Two weeks per solo...seems a little fast. Satin Doll is 24 bars/ 12 bars a week. If you say it's simple, then it could work. I don't even have the sides yet, so what do I know?

User Info Menu

Two weeks per solo...seems a little fast. Satin Doll is 24 bars/ 12 bars a week. If you say it's simple, then it could work. I don't even have the sides yet, so what do I know?

We can wait to decide until after you have a chance to check out your DVD. As long as we all keep moving forward, we can be flexible with the pace. Some tunes might take longer, others might take less.

User Info Menu

I worked through the material a while ago, and really liked the material. But had given up on soloing until this thread caught my eye.

Here is my personal experience.

I thought I had satin doll down, so I went along to a jam session, and called satin doll... I was asked to play the head and didn't know it well enough, so someone played that for me, they set off at about twice the speed that you learn it at and before we got half way through I was lost, I sat there a broken man. It was not a good experience.

I agree that 2 weeks is not enough time to get a whole tune under your fingers, taking in to account this material is aimed at someone beginning soloing.

Here are my suggestions

I think it would be best to stay with a tune for a while perhaps 6 months and really learn the lines and how to use them.

Dont make my mistake, learn the melody and the chords for comping.

I would suggest 2 weeks per section or 8 bars, and submitting that as video or sound clip.

Also can I suggest when all of satin doll is learnt, you could choose another tune or two in the same key and see if you can make the lines fit over that tune.

Then see if you could find tunes in a different keys and move the lines around to fit them.

Sounds like a lot of work I know, but a having a few nice sounding lines that you can pull out and play well, is in my opinion the way to go.

Thanks for reading, Andy

User Info Menu

You're in! Do you have the DVD?
    Yes i have Robert Conti's Ticket To Improv

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk