The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 116

User Info Menu

If anyone else is -- or will be -- working with Robert Conti's Ticket To Improv, Volume One, let me know if you'd like to form a study group.

I just got started with it myself, but I like material well enough to know I plan to go through the other three volumes, as well.

[NOTE: This post has been edited to reflect the decision--hammered out in the following posts---to work on Robert Conti's Ticket to Improv, Volume 1. See Coupon Code below--in this post---for a discount on the DVD, if you don't already have it. Discount may be applied to other DVDs in the series if you already have this one.]

For those unfamiliar with Robert Conti, here's a bit more about him:

What is the Ticket To Improv?
    A 4 DVD series for entry level to intermediate players. Each DVD delivers 4 hours of high impact improvising material. After working through even the first volume, the student begins to understand how lines are created and more importantly, their usage through the chord progressions of selected standards. As any owner of a Conti product will attest, the Ticket To Improv Series is consistent with his other learning resources, as he adheres to his effective No Modes No Scales® teaching approach, that is focused on playing, thereby producing results that motivate the student to greater levels.

What is the purpose/goal of this study group?
    To significantly increase every student's ability to raise the level of his/her improvising skills.

If you would like to join us in this study group, and don't yet own Ticket To Improv, you can order at www.RobertConti.com or call 888-JAZZ-DVD (529-9383)

Coupon code: TTISTUDY25This coupon will allow members of the study group to save 25% on any single volume, or up to three volumes of Ticket To Improv in a single purchase.

Coupon code: TTISTUDY25FREESHIP

This coupon will allow members of the study group to save 25% on all four volumes of Ticket To Improv (plus any other products they may wish to purchase at the same time), plus they will receive free shipping on their order, no matter where in the world they're located.

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 02-24-2017 at 12:00 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think I would rather have a study group on "Jazz Lines". It's the "method" book that underpins the "Ticket to Improve" series, much like his "Formula" is the underpinnings of the "Signature Chord Melody". Any interest in doing that instead?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I think I would rather have a study group on "Jazz Lines". It's the "method" book that underpins the "Ticket to Improve" series, much like his "Formula" is the underpinnings of the "Signature Chord Melody". Any interest in doing that instead?
    I'll bet there are probably more people who want to do that than what I'm suggesting. Still, this is the level I'm at, and I think it's best (for me, at least) to work through TTI before tackling the other stuff.

User Info Menu

One option would be to start with a Robert Conti Study Group. It could move from subject to subject.

Or, two groups: Robert Conti Lines and Robert Conti Chord Melodies.

In a day or so we'll have a better sense of where the greatest interest lies.

User Info Menu

<crickets>

Oh, well . . . probably for the best. Every minute I spend talking about playing is a minute I spend not playing, and I need all the practice I can get.

User Info Menu

I will join this. By the way, I think you would be well served to add Conti's name to the title of this thread. Perhaps, "Robert Conti: Ticket To Improv." Conti's name gets attention. "Ticket To Improv" probably not so much. (Unless Conti's name is nearby.)

User Info Menu

I'm for this

User Info Menu

Who among us has the DVD for this?

I do.

For those who don't, but who may want to get it and join up, I MAY (and again I say MAY) be able to get you a pdf of the first solo to work on until you can get the DVD. (The DVD contains printable pdf files.)
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 02-23-2017 at 04:26 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm game for participating in the Conti TTI V1 study group. I hope it will be a much needed push to engage with other players and Conti fans.

Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    If anyone else is -- or will be -- working with Robert Conti's Ticket To Improv, Volume One, let me know if you'd like to form a study group.

I just got started with it myself, but I like material well enough to know I plan to go through the other three volumes, as well.

User Info Menu

Robert Conti knows about this thread and is glad to hear about the interest in his approach. I don't think he spends much time on Forums, but he did say that, from time to time, he'd be willing to answer a few questions players may have about the material. Is that cool or what?

And. That's. Not. All!

For those who become interested in this material but don't already have it, a coupon code should soon be available to use to get it at a discount meant just for us. (Also, if you already have TTI, Volume 1 but would like something else of Conti's, the code should work for that too. Stay tuned for further details on that!)

User Info Menu

Okay, the coupon will help . I just did a crash course on his course.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Robert Conti knows about this thread and is glad to hear about the interest in his approach. I don't think he spends much time on Forums, but he did say that, from time to time, he'd be willing to answer a few questions players may have about the material. Is that cool or what?

And. That's. Not. All!

For those who become interested in this material but don't already have it, a coupon code should soon be available to use to get it at a discount meant just for us. (Also, if you already have TTI, Volume 1 but would like something else of Conti's, the code should work for that too. Stay tuned for further details on that!)
    What's the count? I'm for this Tti deal. Though I'm really interested in chord melody

User Info Menu

And how can I answer inline with tapatalk? I keep ending up making new messages.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennygomez
    And how can I answer inline with tapatalk? I keep ending up making new messages.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Tapatalk. Fortunately for you, someone else around here will be able to help you.

Glad to hear you're interested in the TTI study group! Stay tuned for more info about the coupon code.

User Info Menu

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Tapatalk. Fortunately for you, someone else around here will be able to help you.

Glad to hear you're interested in the TTI study group! Stay tuned for more info about the coupon code.
    coupons rocks

User Info Menu

What's the count? I'm for this Tti deal. Though I'm really interested in chord melody

I'm working on Ticket To Improv simultaneously with The Chord Melody Assembly Line (with one of Conti's Play Pro Chord Melody Today! DVDs as sort of a companion piece). If there's enough interest, we could work up an additional group to study Conti's chord melody materials.
    Last edited by snailspace; 02-23-2017 at 09:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, it looks like we have a group. I'm new to this, so . . . now what do we do?

I suppose -- while we wait for materials to arrive for those who need them -- we could probably sort out how we're going to pace things, i.e., the amount of time we spend on Project 1 before moving onto Project 2, and so forth. The groups here that seem most successful appear to have answered some fundamental organizational questions before diving into the material.

Two weeks per project? Let me know what you think . . .

User Info Menu

If there's enough interest, we could work up an additional group to study Conti's chord melody materials.
    I admire your enthusiasm but let's get this group up and running before starting another one! ;o)

User Info Menu

I'm working on Ticket To Improv simultaneously with The Chord Melody Assembly Line (with one of Conti's Play Pro Chord Melody Today! DVDs as sort of a companion piece). If there's enough interest, we could work up an additional group to study Conti's chord melody materials.
    What's the structure of the chord melody assembly line? I mean, the elements and approach? I'm doing chord melody work but I'm stuck in open positions. Very limited so far

User Info Menu

It's not that late but it has been a long, hard day for me and I'm turning in. I have more info on the Coupon Code but want to make sure I have it clear in my head before posting anything. One code looks good for 25 % off any volume in the TTI series. More tomorrow.

O, and it looks like Conti will respond to select questions by way of video. Probably several at one go.

Spread the word!

User Info Menu

It's not that late but it has been a long, hard day for me and I'm turning in. I have more info on the Coupon Code but want to make sure I have it clear in my head before posting anything. One code looks good for 25 % off any volume in the TTI series. More tomorrow.

O, and it looks like Conti will respond to select questions by way of video. Probably several at one go.

Spread the word!
    Cool

User Info Menu

This will be my first study group. Perhaps we can learn from others on the Forum. The Raney study group has an interesting format, 4 bars per week. The Conti TTI V1 material coincidentally is broken up into 4 measure segments. I'm open to any and all ideas.

User Info Menu

What's the structure of the chord melody assembly line? I mean, the elements and approach? I'm doing chord melody work but I'm stuck in open positions. Very limited so far

I've only just started in on it, but Conti gives you a set of moveable chords.. After you practice them, he shows you how to use them to harmonize a familiar melody. Then, you get another set of chords, and another melody to harmonize. The goal is to be able to see a tune in a fake book, read the melody, and use the chords you learned up and down the neck to be able to harmonize each note.

I'm probably not explaining it very well, but I like the book a lot. For the most part, a person won't play in chord melody style by playing a chord for each note, but I think the great thing about learning how to do this is that if you can harmonize every melody note, you can harmonize any melody note -- the way you do it is up to you.

Here's an overview video from Conti's site, where he shows what he means better than I can say it. The next video is a complimentary lesson he offers, where he teaches a tune using his method.

The Chord Melody Assembly Line | RobertConti.com

User Info Menu

I've been through the Assembly Line book, and thought it was a great way to get started on Chord Melody. I would be happy to join the study group for that!

The format of the book is that in each lesson he gives you a simple melody line about four bars long and asks you to play a chord melody by looking at his stock voicings/grips and plugging in the chord over the melody. Sounds basic, but is actually kinda fun. He begins with just major, then minor, then dominant voicings. Then mixes them up, then moves into other keys, then adds dim and aug voicing, etc. Finally you end with a couple of complete arrangements where he gives you the melody line and you turn it into chord melodies by adding his chords.

Don't expect sweet, sweet music. Even he admits that to make the learning happen the melodies are devoid of all rhythmic interest (straight 1/8th notes for the most part), and adding a chord over EVERY note is a bit dense. But it gets the fingers and brain used to the idea.

There are 24 "Lessons". Some are just a couple of bars of melody and some are more involved. I suggest that we start by posting video of ourselves playing a couple of lessons. People don't need to post a video of themselves just playing every grip up the neck. Just short 2-3 minute videos. How ever many lessons that is for you. The trick would be to try and not look at his "solutions". If you get stuck, let's work it out here. Post your efforts at adding his grips over the melody notes. Although in theory we will all end up playing the exact same thing, I bet there will be interesting variations we will all get something out of.

User Info Menu

Count me in

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk