The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 116

User Info Menu

"they set off at about twice the speed that you learn it at"

I guess the moral is, don't let others start your songs. Robert Conti's Ticket To Improv

BTW, Andy, are you in?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Denny

Im thinking about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lickerz101
    Yes i have Robert Conti's Ticket To Improv

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk
    Super-- thanks for letting us know! Stay tuned!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Hi Denny

Im thinking about it.
    It would be great to have you here -- hope you decide to join!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    Thinking about it but will need to get the DVD from USA to AUS
    At the top of the thread, there's some information about a coupon Conti has provided for members of this group. Also, here is some information from the Conti site in regard to shipping that might interest you.

Hope you're able to join us!

FAQ | RobertConti.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snailspace
    Since I haven't done much with uploading things to YouTube, I figured we'd just post our videos here, if that's possible. .
    I don't believe videos can be uploaded here directly. Most use YouTube though some use Vimeo, others DailyMotion (-I think that's the name of it) and there may be still others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I don't believe videos can be uploaded here directly. Most use YouTube though some use Vimeo, others DailyMotion (-I think that's the name of it) and there may be still others.
    Good to know -- thanks! Do I need to create a YouTube channel for this, or do you know of a more common way that has worked for other study groups?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennygomez
    Two weeks per solo...seems a little fast. Satin Doll is 24 bars/ 12 bars a week. If you say it's simple, then it could work. I don't even have the sides yet, so what do I know?
    Actually, "Satin Doll" is 32 bars long, not 24.

A BIG thing to keep in mind with this material is that Conti breaks the solos down bar by bar on the DVD. He gives the fingerings. So it's not like, say, the Raney group, where there is no video of Raney playing the lines and no indication of how he fingered them. There, a big part of learning a solo is finding a suitable way to finger it. That takes time. None of that is necessary here.

Another big thing: Conti aims these solos at beginning improvisers. The lines sound good but they are not as advanced as the Raney solos. (Conti has a series of advanced solos too, but TTI is not them.) The purpose of this is to get some lines under your fingers. You can embellish the lines as you learn more. But the goal is for the student to play this material and show your buddies how you are doing.

Also, the tempos are moderate, so you don't have to get anything blazing fast. Two weeks should be enough time to make one of these solos sound okay. (If it takes longer, that's okay too.)

User Info Menu

Good to know -- thanks! Do I need to create a YouTube channel for this, or do you know of a more common way that has worked for other study groups?

You don't have to have a separate channel for this. Just upload it to your YouTube account. (Others using Vimeo or another site, please feel free to chime in and tell us how that works.)

User Info Menu

Here are my suggestions

Hi, Andy -- thanks for your comments! You raised a number of points worth discussing, so I thought I'd respond to them individually here:

I think it would be best to stay with a tune for a while perhaps 6 months and really learn the lines and how to use them.
    Six months on a tune is a long time. At that rate, it will take us two years to get through Volume One alone. Based on the things Conti says on the DVD, I don't think that's his intent. In the "Narrative" section, beginning at around the 31:10 mark, Conti says,

"Keep in mind we're going to take three tunes. The first tune -- do not, I urge you --if you can't master it in a week . . . take two weeks, take three weeks. Take whatever you need. Some of you may get it very quickly -- these are not difficult."

Granted, "whatever you need" could also include six months, but the context of the quote suggests that a much shorter time frame is more of what Conti has in mind.

I've already started with the first tune, and -- after making it my practice goal to play the solo 20 times a day, every day (with extra, slower practice on the tricky parts) -- after two weeks . . . I know this thing.

Dont make my mistake, learn the melody and the chords for comping.

This is a great idea, and has been part of my practice since I made the decision to go "all-in" on Conti. After years of knowing lots of scales, lots of chords, and zero tunes, one of my goals for the new year has been to learn tunes: melodies and chords.

Along with working on the "Satin Doll" solo, I've also worked up the melody in octaves, learned it in single notes in a couple of other places on the neck, and practice using the chords I know to comp along with either a backing track or a recorded version by someone I admire. Being able to play tunes is what it's all about.

I would suggest 2 weeks per section or 8 bars, and submitting that as video or sound clip.

That comes out to two months on one solo for a 32-bar tune. It makes sense to keep practicing, reviewing, refining, and experimenting with lines continually, but I think this can be done even after moving on to a new tune. There are probably other ways it can be labeled, but I organize material into three "Practice Piles":

1. Old Stuff (things I can play from memory without messing up too much)
    2. New Stuff (things I can't yet play from memory, or can -- but I still mess up a lot)
    3. Stuff I Want To Get To (things I want to work on, but not until I move something from Pile 2 into Pile 1)

After a 2-3 weeks of diligent, faithful repetition, I think most people will agree that a TTI solo will be ready to qualify as "Old Stuff." That won't mean you'll never play it again, but you'll know it well enough, by Conti's standard for this DVD. At the end of Project 1, at the 50:56 mark, he says:

"My advice to you at this point: do NOT go to Project 2 until you master this. Even if you have to play it at 85 or 80 beats per minute, get it under your hand in some reasonable fashion, where you can sit down and play through the whole thing (emphasis mine). Then go on to Project 2."

From this, it seems clear that Conti's definition of "mastery" -- for Projects 1-3 -- is just for the student to be able to play the lines fluently, from memory, at a moderate tempo. Nothing more.

Also can I suggest when all of satin doll is learnt, you could choose another tune or two in the same key and see if you can make the lines fit over that tune.

Then see if you could find tunes in a different keys and move the lines around to fit them.

This is what Project 4 is all about. At 11:15 in the "Narrative" section, Conti says:

"I want to show you how to make music. Then, I want to show you -- in that Project 4 -- how to "connect the dots", and take what I show you in the first three projects; and then take it to the fourth project and show you how to re-employ these things."

What you're suggesting is also consistent with what Conti teaches, since the purpose of learning lines is to be able to use them in any tune you wish to play. However, for the purposes of this particular product, it seems that -- for now, at least -- Conti wants to focus only on these four projects.

I really like your suggestion, though. Maybe we could include an extra component in our study group -- after completion of Project 4 -- where members can play over a "tune of choice" to apply what they've learned from Volume One.

Last edited by snailspace; 02-25-2017 at 12:12 PM.

User Info Menu

You don't have to have a separate channel for this. Just upload it to your YouTube account. (Others using Vimeo or another site, please feel free to chime in and tell us how that works.)
    Done! I recorded it last night, just to see if I could fix all of the glitches that usually occur when I get the webcam out. It turned out OK, so I'll keep it -- just in case it turns out to be the only good one I ever do.

This happens a lot. My brother asked me to play and sing at his wedding, and I worked that song to death. Sadly, I never played it any better than I did in my garage, the night before the big day.
    Last edited by snailspace; 02-25-2017 at 12:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the detailed reply to my post, hopefully it was useful.

I won't however be joining in with the group, my interests are in solo guitar playing now.

Best wishes Andy
    Last edited by andyb; 03-02-2017 at 10:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Thanks for the detailed reply to my post, hopefully it was useful.

I won't however be joining in with the group, my interests are in solo guitar playing now.

I do have volumes 1 and 2 of TTI, and am I willing to sell these on to someone in the UK. (send me a PM)

Best wishes Andy
    Your post was very useful, and I'm grateful to you for sending it. Even though you won't be joining us, I'm glad you're still playing, and have an area of interest to pursue. Wishing you the best in your solo guitar playing -- I'm sure I speak for everyone in hoping you'll share some of your playing sometime, when you have time.

All the best,
    s.

User Info Menu

You have a Google id? Use that is not signed up. Then goto "My videos and look at the links and menus.

An additional note: you can make videos private on YouTube, only accessible with the link. (Like when you put it here). That might help too, yes?

Also, you can use Sound clouds to do audio only. Nice, if like me, you like to play in your underwear. (Oh! I just let out a closely guarded secret! Robert Conti's Ticket To Improv

User Info Menu

I'm in! Just ordered the 4-vol set with the DVDs and gratefully applied the Discount code, which in effect gives a free volume.

I might be a little late posting since I have to wait on the books/dvds to arrive, but I'm very familiar with Satin Doll so hopefully I won't have too much trouble catching up.

My line playing is just so lame, I need something to light the fires. The Jimmy Raney group has been wonderful, but I thought this would help at the "improv" end of things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm in! Just ordered the 4-vol set with the DVDs and gratefully applied the Discount code, which in effect gives a free volume.

I might be a little late posting since I have to wait on the books/dvds to arrive, but I'm very familiar with Satin Doll so hopefully I won't have too much trouble catching up.

My line playing is just so lame, I need something to light the fires. The Jimmy Raney group has been wonderful, but I thought this would help at the "improv" end of things.

Great news! Welcome, Lawson. Glad you're here. Conti's solos in this series are aimed at beginning improvisers but they nevertheless sound good and can be, um, finessed this way and that as one learns more. (And experiments more.) He can really tear it up when he wants but these solos are more user-friendly. ("Hey, I can do this!") Strong foundation in the blues and lines that sound good by themselves. (Sound good with backing tracks too, but they hang together by themselves. That's what I like.)

User Info Menu

Great news! Welcome, Lawson. Glad you're here. Conti's solos in this series are aimed at beginning improvisers but they nevertheless sound good and can be, um, finessed this way and that as one learns more. (And experiments more.) He can really tear it up when he wants but these solos are more user-friendly. ("Hey, I can do this!") Strong foundation in the blues and lines that sound good by themselves. (Sound good with backing tracks too, but they hang together by themselves. That's what I like.)
    Thanks. I just hope he ships promptly!

Have you decided on a pace or schedule yet?

User Info Menu

Here is a test of: 1. Posting Soundcloud and 2. Is this a useful track while I await my DVD? (Real Book Track)

Listen to Satin Doll.mp3 by Denny Gomez #np on #SoundCloud

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

Glad you're in -- the Raney and Herb Ellis groups are great examples of what can happen if you're well-organized and mutually supportive.

I think we're still waiting for one or two members to receive their DVDs, but we should probably set a start date, just so we can get going. I hate to leave anyone behind, so how about we start as soon as you get your stuff. Other people have already ordered, and you're the most recent person I've heard from, so -- unless anyone has any other ideas, let's go with that.

User Info Menu

Hers a Satin Doll from Joe Pass, but it's really a test of posting from you tube.

User Info Menu

Another try

User Info Menu

.... Other people have already ordered, and you're the most recent person I've heard from, so -- unless anyone has any other ideas, let's go with that.

If you want, maybe start sooner. Those of us waiting can learn from your posts, and the rest can "Super-Size" the first piece while waiting for us to catch up. While we wait we can, maybe, work on comping the song. I'm assuming the Real Book arrangement will work.
    That could help us all with momentum. Like Johnny Quest said, "Get this bucket MOVING, Race!"

User Info Menu

Another try

Incidentally, the DVD this comes from has a booklet with the transcription of the whole solo Joe plays here. It has some very nice stuff in it.

User Info Menu

If you want, maybe start sooner. Those of us waiting can learn from your posts, and the rest can "Super-Size" the first piece while waiting for us to catch up. While we wait we can, maybe, work on comping the song. I'm assuming the Real Book arrangement will work.
    That could help us all with momentum. Like Johnny Quest said, "Get this bucket MOVING, Race!"

First of all, anyone who quotes Jonny Quest is a righteous dude, as far as I'm concerned.

Yes -- the Real Book arrangement will work just fine. Conti shows how his lines will still sound good over any common substitution.

Let's hear from other people who are waiting for the Conti DVD to be delivered. If you're really OK with us moving on before you get your materials, fine; but now is no time to be selfless if you feel you'll miss out on something if we start without you. You're an important part of this group -- we're all in this together.

User Info Menu

I contacted Conti's shipping department and here's what I learned.
    Orders are shipped the day they are received.
    Unless the order arrives after that day's shipping has gone out. (Roughly 11 AM MST.)
    Orders arriving over this weekend should go out Monday morning.