Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 378
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Alright, folks! It's time for yet another round of Zany-Raney Madness. Join the Horsemen of the Bebopalypse as we gallop our way over groovy lines, ensnaring chord tones with enclosures and heralding a new golden age of bop. Our amplifiers think they've been sold to real bebop players after the hip lines come pouring out of them!

    In this group we are working with Aebersold's Vol. 20, which consists of transcriptions of Jimmy Raney tearing it up over standards. After the success of 'Like Somebody', 'Confirmed', 'Bb Blues for Wes' and
    'Friends' we are now moving on to 'Nowhere' (based on, predictably, Out of Nowhere). All you need to do to take part is get yourself a copy of Vol. 20 (or even just the recordings of Raney's solos if you are comfortable working things out by ear), and have at it.

    We will be tackling 4 measures per week, and the basic idea is that you post a recording of yourself playing up to and including the assigned line at the end of that week. We've used video clips so we can actually watch each others' agony trying to figure out the fingerings that work. Meanwhile, we can chat about any relevant stuff you want. Theory, fingerings, and little exercises that you come up with are all fair game. There aren't many rules here.

    Some people would prefer to not have their playing critiqued; if that is the case, just add "Just posting", "JP", or something similar to your post.

    You in? Of course you are. Get in amongst it.

    Schedule

    1st Chorus:
    Week 1 (due 27 Feb): measures 1-4
    Week 2 (due 6 Mar): measures 5-8
    Week 3 (due 13 Mar): measures 9-12
    Week 4 (due 20 Mar): measures 13-16

    Week 5 (due 27 Mar): measures 17-20
    Week 6 (due 3 Apr): measures 21-24
    Week 7 (due 10 Apr): measures 25-28
    Week 8 (due 17 Apr): measures 29-32

    2nd Chorus:
    Week 9 (due 24 Apr): measures 33-36
    Week 10 (due 1 May): measures 37-40
    Week 11 (due 8 May): measures 41-44
    Week 12 (due 15 May): measures 45-48

    Week 13 (due 22 May): measures 49-52
    Week 14 (due 29 May): measures 53-56
    Week 15 (due 5 June): measures 57-60
    Week 16 (due 12 June): The whole damn thang!
    Last edited by lawson-stone; 02-02-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    So who is IN for this? Post a note and introduce yourself if you're new to the group.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    So who is IN for this? Post a note and introduce yourself if you're new to the group.
    I am in



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Sounds like fun. I'm in!
    Jay

    'boobadoobadoobaooababop!'

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    I'm in. (Lawson, do you want this thread "stuck" now or would you rather wait until the week the first assignment is due? Either way is fine with me. Just let me know.)
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    I'm in. (Lawson, do you want this thread "stuck" now or would you rather wait until the week the first assignment is due? Either way is fine with me. Just let me know.)
    Let's go ahead and "Stick" it. That way folks will see it more easily and know we're starting a new project.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Haven't been a part of this group so far, but I think a little accountability is a good thing.

    Have to figure out how to do recordings. Might be time to trade in the old smart phone.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    New here. Took my son to the Aebersold camp last summer. My wife wouldn't let him go alone so I participated as well. Kicked my butt. Trying to be worthy of a return visit. This seems like another thing I can do to reach that goal. Thanks for having me.

  10. #9
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    So who is IN for this? Post a note and introduce yourself if you're new to the group.
    Sounds like fun - and that sure was a catchy intro .. I'm in!

    New to the group, at least to this study group (did the December Practical Standards and will try this month again).

    Short presentation, then! Joao Paz, from Portugal. 53. Married, one daugther, 4 cats (and they all love jazz). Music teacher (violin, mostly; some jazz guitar and bass). Always a student. Working my way through the RGT Jazz Diplomas, having lessons with Matt Warnock. Always divided between hollow/semi and solid body guitars! Playing mostly a Gibson SG and an Ibanez AFJ95 these days. Hoping to learn a lot with you guys, here, too!

    It's going to be fun

  11. #10
    joaopaz Guest
    Hi guys,
    I'm "rollin" already.

    Spent some time this weekend with the first 4 bars.
    The first 3 bars are a no-brainer, but for the 4th bar you must really look ahead a couple of bars to choose the proper way you want to do it.

    I tried several options, fingering-wise, but I'm not decided yet... there's a series of 4ths that will have you most probably play one note per string, that can be tricky.
    I saw a couple of YT videos of guys playing this solo and each one has its way to do it; and must say the ones I saw looked like they had that passage nailed, it looked easy on their hands, so that got me thinking I must also find wihta's easy on my hands as well - but I'd also like it to be bebop-era-compatible

    Maybe I'll post something (video) this week!

    Anyone else working on it?

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz View Post

    Anyone else working on it?
    I went over the first four bars. The second four (well, bars 6 and 7, the first two bars of the second set of four bars) made to stop and think. Like you, I haven't figured out the best way to do that. Unlike you, I won't be posting this week. I want to take it very slow and get it right from the beginning---when I fall behind, I get anxious and that makes me play worse.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Just ordered from Jamey this Saturday.

  14. #13
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    I went over the first four bars. The second four (well, bars 6 and 7, the first two bars of the second set of four bars) made to stop and think. Like you, I haven't figured out the best way to do that. Unlike you, I won't be posting this week. I want to take it very slow and get it right from the beginning---when I fall behind, I get anxious and that makes me play worse.
    I intend to do it slowly, too!
    Actually the extended schedule was one of the things that attracted me to this project.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    I'm still wrapping up "Friends" trying to get it up to tempo in time to move to "Nowhere."
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    I'm still wrapping up "Friends" trying to get it up to tempo in time to move to "Nowhere."
    Good luck! I only got through 32 bars, but nowhere near Jimmy's tempo. "One day at a time..."
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    So I thought I'd go ahead and post the first 4 measures since I had it ready. Being such a brief passage I did it with two different guitars just for fun.

    Comment and advice is always welcome.

    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    I'm in after a 6 month hiatus from serious woodshedding while I recovered from a fractured spine. Good to be back.

    -Travis
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Socraticaster View Post
    I'm in after a 6 month hiatus from serious woodshedding while I recovered from a fractured spine. Good to be back.

    -Travis
    Fractured spine? Ye gods! Glad you're 'back in the saddle.'
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 02-13-2017 at 04:45 PM.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

  20. #19
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    So I thought I'd go ahead and post the first 4 measures since I had it ready. Being such a brief passage I did it with two different guitars just for fun.

    Comment and advice is always welcome.

    It's sounding really nice, on both guitars. Funny that the tone is so close on both! So it's in your hands
    Very relaxed, and even that final section (that's what I'm working on everyday) you're doing it quite easily.

    Just one thing... I'm not sure but it sounds like you're playing a G on the final note of bar 4, with a bar on your 3rd finger? That's an F natural there... just checking.

    Great start!

  21. #20
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Socraticaster View Post
    I'm in after a 6 month hiatus from serious woodshedding while I recovered from a fractured spine. Good to be back.

    -Travis
    Wow....! So it's a double-great to have you back!

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz View Post
    It's sounding really nice, on both guitars. Funny that the tone is so close on both! So it's in your hands
    Very relaxed, and even that final section (that's what I'm working on everyday) you're doing it quite easily.

    Just one thing... I'm not sure but it sounds like you're playing a G on the final note of bar 4, with a bar on your 3rd finger? That's an F natural there... just checking.

    Great start!
    It is an F natural and I have it fingered but I think I didn't let the bar up fast enough for the note to be clear. Thanks for the catch!

    Often we've found these solos also have notation that isn't exactly what's played. Sometimes its a transcription error, but sometimes we've wondered if Jimmy didn't like what he played and had the notation reflect something better. So we go back and forth in the whole process.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz View Post
    It's sounding really nice, on both guitars. Funny that the tone is so close on both! So it's in your hands
    Very relaxed, and even that final section (that's what I'm working on everyday) you're doing it quite easily.

    Just one thing... I'm not sure but it sounds like you're playing a G on the final note of bar 4, with a bar on your 3rd finger? That's an F natural there... just checking.

    Great start!
    What's weird about that is that "live" playing this, the two guitars sounded very different to my ear. The ES165 has a very distinct sound over against the Peerless with the floater. The Peerless pickup, though, is unusually hot and "chunky" for a floater. It's not like any floater I ever played.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  24. #23
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    What's weird about that is that "live" playing this, the two guitars sounded very different to my ear. The ES165 has a very distinct sound over against the Peerless with the floater. The Peerless pickup, though, is unusually hot and "chunky" for a floater. It's not like any floater I ever played.
    And they sound much different, for sure...
    Problem is with the systems we use to listen to these videos.

    Just yesterday, I took my tablet to school to show a YT video to another teacher - one that has a Bare Knuckles Manhattan PU that I ordered. So I took the tablet, connected it to a set of powered speakers in my classrom ... and the magic tone was gone! In the tablet alone and at home I can hear it clearly... quite a wake up call when we're judging guitar tones from videos online. I guess the only way to be sure is to actually listen to them live.

    Your guitars sound very similar in my studio speakers (bad news for me) and sound noticeably different on the tablet with the Pearless being a lot brighter and the 165 warmer.

    Roger also on your note about Jimmy's playing versus the transcriptions; this is my first time with the stufy group so I'll stay aware! Thanks!

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    It is an F natural and I have it fingered but I think I didn't let the bar up fast enough for the note to be clear. Thanks for the catch!

    Often we've found these solos also have notation that isn't exactly what's played. Sometimes its a transcription error, but sometimes we've wondered if Jimmy didn't like what he played and had the notation reflect something better. So we go back and forth in the whole process.
    So for our purpose, do we want to follow the written notes or the recording?

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Marshall View Post
    So for our purpose, do we want to follow the written notes or the recording?
    It won't generally be a problem. I usually start with the notation, but then I practice with the solo itself, using the Capo! app to slow the tempo down. While doing that, sometimes we have noticed the notation not matching the guitar on the recording and typically what happens then is we discuss it here on the thread and we have usually reached a consensus about what the "right" thing is to play.

    What makes it a little dicy is the guitar comping on the recording has the same basic tone as the soloing guitar, and the comping is pretty active and sometimes downright intrusive (IMO). So sometimes it can sound like the solo is doing something when it is actually the comping.

    But we have always been able to reach a satisfactory resolution on the forum, and it's part of the fun!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for reply. I have been turning down the comping to focus on the lead using the balance on my car stereo.

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Marshall View Post
    Thanks for reply. I have been turning down the comping to focus on the lead using the balance on my car stereo.
    good plan
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  29. #28
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Marshall View Post
    Thanks for reply. I have been turning down the comping to focus on the lead using the balance on my car stereo.
    Hadn't thought about it!

    And it was revealing....! Once you isolate Jimmy's solo you can clearly listen to him "burning" two notes on bar 4. He misses the final Bb and Eb, right before the final F .... and it sounds to me like he hammers-on the first note on bar 5; I may be wrong but it sure sounds like no pick is involved.

    That part, with one note per string, is really tricky to play accurately, without loosing the swing.

    For the past couple of days I've been trying to clean it up but I was using economy picking... it works great up to a point, but as I approach the final speed the rhythm becomes clumsy.
    So today I ditched the sweeps and just went with alternate picking and I think problem is solved. Will try to record it tomorrow.

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    Yep. Learning these Raney solos has pushed me to alternate picking, though some places it's not effective. Still I bet as the tempo passes 150 bpm on these, I've gone to better than 50% alternative picking. When the 8th note lines run more than 3 measures without a break, I'm alternate picking all the way unless it's a sweep.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Which is interesting, given that Raney seemed to be primarily an economy picker!
    Jay

    'boobadoobadoobaooababop!'

  32. #31
    joaopaz Guest
    Here's my take. It's 5,25 bars long - because that's what I have been practicing; I wanted to finish the "idea"... to avoid breaking it, technically. So I took it to the next "stop" so to speak.

    On the video you'll find 3 things: a full tempo take with the BT and then a close up to each hand at 25%, just in case anyone's interested. I'd love to see you guys' videos like that, too! It's easier to analyze the performance.

    Every criticism you may have will be most welcome; don't need to make it smooth, the idea is to improve!


  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Just ordered my book and I am in.....

    This is my first study group, actually my first crack at learning a solo note for note; I look forward to the critiquing, it's the best way to learn.

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz View Post
    Here's my take. It's 5,25 bars long - because that's what I have been practicing; I wanted to finish the "idea"... to avoid breaking it, technically. So I took it to the next "stop" so to speak.

    On the video you'll find 3 things: a full tempo take with the BT and then a close up to each hand at 25%, just in case anyone's interested. I'd love to see you guys' videos like that, too! It's easier to analyze the performance.

    Every criticism you may have will be most welcome; don't need to make it smooth, the idea is to improve!

    Glad you're in! These solos, especially the faster ones, are totally about finding the right fingering and becoming very smooth with the RH technique. Your clip is helpful!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  35. #34
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Glad you're in! These solos, especially the faster ones, are totally about finding the right fingering and becoming very smooth with the RH technique. Your clip is helpful!
    Glad it helped, Lawson!
    I'm having fur with it, too

  36. #35
    joaopaz Guest
    In spite of my video (above) I'm going to stick with these first bars until the 27th.. and maybe record another one then.
    Because I spent most of the time so far with the sweep picking option and only gave the full alternate(*) a couple of days.

    (*) full alternate, but I played a couple of up strokes in a row, but that was to follow the rhtythm, the upbeats (1:04). One other thing I practiced is to quickly place the right hand on the next string, when you can, specially when in involves skips.. see 1:26 and 1:28

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    I have to work on these fingerings with whole ideas. So here's my current "trial" fingering for measures 1-16 played at a very slow tempo, no metronome, no backing track, just focusing on fingering and relative time.

    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    ... we are now moving on to 'Nowhere' (based on, predictably, Out of Nowhere). All you need to do to take part is get yourself a copy of Vol. 20 (or even just the recordings of Raney's solos if you are comfortable working things out by ear) ...
    What recording is your transcription from? I did a little YouTube snooping, but don't think I found the right one. Any help?

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by M-ster View Post
    What recording is your transcription from? I did a little YouTube snooping, but don't think I found the right one. Any help?
    This group has been working on the solos in the Jamie Aebersold Play-a-long set Vol. 20, featuring Jimmy Raney playing solos over standard chord changes. They aren't solos from commercial recordings, but solos he played in the studio for this set. They were then notated, and the CD has both the solo and a backing track, as well as the book of notation. So we've been learning solos going slowly, 4 measures per week. This is the fifth solo we've done.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    I want to give a big "thank you" to joaopaz for the video. The slowed down tempo with alternate camera angles is a huge help!

    I've worked through three bars so far. This is a great exercise in reading for me......

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    And everyone, let's remember that Monday Feb. 27 is the actual kick-off of the project, so have your clips ready to roll!

    Note a few traditions in this study group might be helpful:

    First, if you have the line of the week worked out but simply haven't got it up to tempo, go ahead an post. Sometimes it takes a while to get things up to full speed.

    Second, Often people who post a slower version early in the week will come back and post a faster, or cleaner, or better version later. That's all good too.

    Third, we assume if you post, you are open to comment, critique, advice, etc. unless you say you are only posting to keep up with the project or some such disclaimer.

    Fourth, all our comment and critique is intended to be positive and encouraging. None of us is anyone else's teacher and we aren't here to push anyone around or intimidate, or push our particular technique doctrine or whatever. We're just learning a Jimmy Raney solo the best way we can and pooling our insights and ideas on how to do that better.

    We like video of course because it shows us fingerings, but it also helps us feel like we are each a "real person" with homes, offices, families, whatever. And that's fun.

    And fun is what we are all about!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  42. #41

    User Info Menu

    I think I have it down. No good way to record. I seem to be playing the beginning in a different position from the videos. I start with 4th finger on 5th fret.

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    I have been working on the first 8 bars of the Raney Solo.

    Here it is at 121 bpm.


    Raney - Nowhere at 121 bpm
    Last edited by Doublea A; 03-04-2017 at 08:56 PM.

  44. #43
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKJazz View Post
    I want to give a big "thank you" to joaopaz for the video. The slowed down tempo with alternate camera angles is a huge help!

    I've worked through three bars so far. This is a great exercise in reading for me......
    Glad it helped, ADKJazz! Time permitting will do it for the next videos as well.

  45. #44
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    And everyone, let's remember that Monday Feb. 27 is the actual kick-off of the project, so have your clips ready to roll!

    Note a few traditions in this study group might be helpful:

    First, if you have the line of the week worked out but simply haven't got it up to tempo, go ahead an post. Sometimes it takes a while to get things up to full speed.

    Second, Often people who post a slower version early in the week will come back and post a faster, or cleaner, or better version later. That's all good too.

    Third, we assume if you post, you are open to comment, critique, advice, etc. unless you say you are only posting to keep up with the project or some such disclaimer.

    Fourth, all our comment and critique is intended to be positive and encouraging. None of us is anyone else's teacher and we aren't here to push anyone around or intimidate, or push our particular technique doctrine or whatever. We're just learning a Jimmy Raney solo the best way we can and pooling our insights and ideas on how to do that better.

    We like video of course because it shows us fingerings, but it also helps us feel like we are each a "real person" with homes, offices, families, whatever. And that's fun.

    And fun is what we are all about!
    Since this is my first time here, with you Gents ... roger on everything.

    Hope that none of my posts appear to be as "pushing my particular technique" to anyone... believe me I just post with the same enthusiasm as I'll check all your videos.
    Last edited by joaopaz; 02-22-2017 at 10:24 PM.

  46. #45
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A View Post
    I have been working on the first 8 bars of the Raney Solo.

    Here it is at 121 bpm.

    Well done, Double A! I liked the fingering on the 2nd sentence, when you came down to 3rd position... you reduced 3 strings to 2... gotta check that.

  47. #46

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A View Post
    I have been working on the first 8 bars of the Raney Solo.

    Here it is at 121 bpm.
    You are off to a great start. You're getting a great sound out of that guitar too!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  48. #47

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz View Post
    Since this is my first time here, with you Gents ... roger on everything.

    Hope that none of my posts appear to be as "pushing my particular technique" to anyone... believe me I just post with the same enthusiasm as I'll check all your videos.
    Not at all!!! Jehu, who normally convenes this group, asked me to kind of "officiate" on things, and since we were starting out, I wanted just to repeat some stuff we've said all along. It was NOT aimed at you at all, nothing you said or did prompted in the slightest what I said there. It's just run-of-the-mill advice about how this group has operated for the previous 4 solos we've studied, and I am just putting it out there for the opening week as a reminder.

    I love the clip you put up, and tried to offer my own sketch of how to go about the lines too. That's exactly the kind of stuff we want to work on, different approaches to the same playing problems. And if you are working on some specific technique, maybe Benson picking, or economy picking, or 3-finger LH technique, or whatever, that's great to talk about too. We've all got the things we are working on.

    So the aim here is to have fun and learn.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  49. #48
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Not at all!!! Jehu, who normally convenes this group, asked me to kind of "officiate" on things, and since we were starting out, I wanted just to repeat some stuff we've said all along. It was NOT aimed at you at all, nothing you said or did prompted in the slightest what I said there. It's just run-of-the-mill advice about how this group has operated for the previous 4 solos we've studied, and I am just putting it out there for the opening week as a reminder.

    I love the clip you put up, and tried to offer my own sketch of how to go about the lines too. That's exactly the kind of stuff we want to work on, different approaches to the same playing problems. And if you are working on some specific technique, maybe Benson picking, or economy picking, or 3-finger LH technique, or whatever, that's great to talk about too. We've all got the things we are working on.

    So the aim here is to have fun and learn.
    Thank you, Lawson! No worries, I just wanted stress that my participation here is all for the best of everyone, me included!

    So here's one other thing I'm working on - "horn-like" phrasing ...
    (in lack of a better term, but you get the idea)

    What I'm doing is to use a good ammount of pull-offs and hammer-ons, usually accenting the weak part of the beat and connecting it to the strong part.
    I'm not going crazy about doing it 100% like that - I choose foremost what sounds good to my ears.

    One other thing that I tend to do a lot is to hammer on a new string .. that is to hammer the first note on a new string, instead of pick one and hammer the next. It does not sound great all the times, but I feel it's a matter of work.
    One thing about this procedure is that it makes it a lot easier on the picking hand, since I gain a fraction of time when changing strings. On the other hand you need to work on synchronization a lot more. It's a trade.

    On the video there was a section when the tempo was not that great but I'm going off for the weekend and wanted to leave this video done

    I'll try to keep working both versions as we move along; 1) all alternate picking, and 2) horn-like phrasing.

    All criticism is most welcome!


  50. #49

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    This group has been working on the solos in the Jamie Aebersold Play-a-long set Vol. 20, featuring Jimmy Raney playing solos over standard chord changes. They aren't solos from commercial recordings, but solos he played in the studio for this set. They were then notated, and the CD has both the solo and a backing track, as well as the book of notation. So we've been learning solos going slowly, 4 measures per week. This is the fifth solo we've done.
    Thanks, l-s. Guess I'm sitting tight for now. Keep at it, guys!

  51. #50

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by M-ster View Post
    Thanks, l-s. Guess I'm sitting tight for now. Keep at it, guys!
    If you search for 'Jimmy Raney Nowhere Aebersold' in YouTube you will see some people playing it.