Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 351 to 378 of 378

User Info Menu

Hey dudes, sorry for flaking out on the group. I felt like I had largely got what I wanted from this for the time being (improved phrasing and time feel, and several lifetimes worth of language to work with), so I've been focusing on other things.

I have been lurking though, and everyone is sounding awesome! I tried to find an old video of me playing the whole solo to post, but couldn't track it down. My fingering is very close to rio's though.

I'm out for now (obviously), but I hope others keep this project going -- these solos really are brilliant study material!
    Jay

'boobadoobadoobaooababop!'

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I confess coming to the end of this project with a certain sense of disappointment. I had hoped to create a clip playing the head and solo as a way of capping off this wonderful study.

But the last line simply refuses to come together for me. It is so frustrating and disappointing to have a mere 4 notes near the end of the solo (that cursed Cm7 arpeggio in m. 60) totally derail the project for me.

So I've posted here the head and solo, and the last line is simply a catastrophe. I thought I wouldn't post, but then thought surely some of you are as frustrated and discouraged by that as I am. It's not even very musical, more of a physical stunt than a musical statement.

Anyhow, I apologize for musically losing my temper at the end, but there your are.

My last post for about 6 or 7 weeks, as I'm off to Israel to wander around lost in the desert and dig in the dirt for pieces of the past.

- Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Still battling on with this solo, like some others thought I was doing ok until I got to the last four bars. Still a train wreck every time over about 145bpm, so I've recorded it at a more gentle pace. Annoyingly, having spent the last couple of weeks trying to get the ending down, I'm making mistakes on the rest of it. Curse you Jimmy Raney. I realised I need to pick more lightly/evenly to get the speed up, and stay in time - it's a real struggle to stay in the pocket. I don't know if I can get up to tempo with this, I think it's a bit above my pay grade at the moment, but I think I'll persevere and try and get another vid up before I put this to bed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rahsaan View Post
    Still battling on with this solo, like some others thought I was doing ok until I got to the last four bars. Still a train wreck every time over about 145bpm, so I've recorded it at a more gentle pace. Annoyingly, having spent the last couple of weeks trying to get the ending down, I'm making mistakes on the rest of it. Curse you Jimmy Raney. I realised I need to pick more lightly/evenly to get the speed up, and stay in time - it's a real struggle to stay in the pocket. I don't know if I can get up to tempo with this, I think it's a bit above my pay grade at the moment, but I think I'll persevere and try and get another vid up before I put this to bed.
    Well done. I am also struggling with the last 4 bars. You seemed to have figured out a nice fingering that is working for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I am currently struggling with 2 sections. I was hoping that someone in the group may have some sage advice for me either with the tempo or The fingering or both.
    The first section is begins at bar 37 through 40 where you need to combine triplets eighths and sixteenths. My problem comes in those pesky sixteenth notes. Any ideas ?
    The next section that is irritating me is the last 4 bars. I can not seem to get through it without tripping over my own fingers.
    Today, I am going to try and slow it right down to 50% and gradually build it up from there.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

Now that you guys are pretty much done, what do we do next? I'm ready to jump in on the next one. If we're voting, and if I get a vote, I'd like to try Rhythm in Bb. It's a bit fast for me, but there seems to be some great bebop style lines that might be worth trying to cop.
    Last edited by Socraticaster; 06-14-2017 at 12:41 PM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

User Info Menu

I kept out of this one since I'd already learned this solo previously. Now that you guys are done I thought I'd add my contribution.

Check out my new book, Essential Skills for the Guitarist on Amazon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I kept out of this one since I'd already learned this solo previously. Now that you guys are done I thought I'd add my contribution.

Well Done !!

Bravo !!

User Info Menu

Nice job Dana!

I forgot to post this here - I did a guitar sound test and used this solo for it, along with a chorus of the melody and a chorus of chords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Nice job Dana!

I forgot to post this here - I did a guitar sound test and used this solo for it, along with a chorus of the melody and a chorus of chords.

User Info Menu

Have we started a new solo ?

User Info Menu

When will we be moving to a new solo? I'm itching to get started.

User Info Menu

I'm ready to join in for a new Jimmy Raney/Aebersold solo project! The remaining titles are:

About You and Me (How About You)
    Autumn (Autumn Leaves)
    Hotel Grandé (There Is A Small Hotel)
    Rhythm in Bb (I've Got Rhythm)
    Groove Blues in F

I'd be up for any of these remaining ones. "Groove Blues in F" is a tempo that would be very manageable to most who want to try a solo, but we've also learned many of these solos really sound just fine at slower tempos than the one's used in the recording.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

I would love to take a crack at Autumn Leaves or Rhythm Changes

User Info Menu

hey Lawson how was your trip? I'm up for anyone of these solo's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by picman View Post
    hey Lawson how was your trip? I'm up for anyone of these solo's.
    The time in Israel was fantastic. Spent 3 weeks with students studying historical geography of the biblical period with students, "on location" all over the country, then 3 weeks on an archaeological excavation digging up a buried city! It's hard to get better than that!

but now I'm back and needing to get back to wrestling with Raney's radically reticulated riffs!

"Autumn Leaves" is my least favorite of the remaining ones, but I'll happily do it if everyone else wants to. It's a latin style treatment, which doesn't seem to me to fit the tune. But hey, riffs are riffs, and good lines happen anytime Jimmy Raney plays.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

I would choose rhythm changes for my vote. More rhythm changes vocabulary is always welcome.

User Info Menu

I think I'd enjoy the Rhythm Changes solo too. Lines and ideas easily portable to other contexts.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

What an exciting trip. I'm hoping one day to take a trip to the Holy Land. Learning any one of JR's solos are worth learning.

User Info Menu

What an exciting trip. I'm hoping one day to take a trip to the Holy Land. Learning any one of JR's solos are worth learning.
    Two basic kinds of trips: the more pious, at times even sentimental "pilgrimage" type trip, and the "learning about history and geography of the ancient biblical world" type trip. The first type will usually rule out concerns of the second, but the second can include the first.

But hauling a guitar on the plane and then trying to cop lines from Jimmy Raney every night would be hard to do on either of those ventures!
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    I think I'd enjoy the Rhythm Changes solo too. Lines and ideas easily portable to other contexts.
    I am good with whatever you guys decide.

User Info Menu

Sounds like several are okay for doing the Jimmy Raney/Aebersold set solo on "Rhythm in Bb."

Shall I post a new thread? May I assume 4 measures per week remains a good, doable pace?

Start date? Tuesday Aug. 28 for measures 1-4?

If that's okay, I can post the thread and kick off the project.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

I've already started practicing. the tempo is a challenge. I've been working on playing at faster tempo's.
    Last edited by picman; 08-17-2017 at 10:20 AM.

User Info Menu

So maybe it's time to post the thread. I'll pop it up there and we'll see who signs on!
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

the 1st recording is due sept 4?

User Info Menu

the 1st recording is due sept 4?
    Check out the new thread:

Rhythm in Bb-Raney-Aebersold Group
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

PAGING LAWSON-STONE

Hey Lawson-stone! Now that you're back state's side, care to help initiate another episode of the Raney Zaney before the bop-a-pop-o-calypse happens?

Did you ever do Suspended Motion (I think that's You Stepped Out of a Dream?)

I'm down for his other solos, but I won't get the Raney Plays Standards book until August 5th.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    PAGING LAWSON-STONE

Hey Lawson-stone! Now that you're back state's side, care to help initiate another episode of the Raney Zaney before the bop-a-pop-o-calypse happens?

Did you ever do Suspended Motion (I think that's You Stepped Out of a Dream?)

I'm down for his other solos, but I won't get the Raney Plays Standards book until August 5th.
    It's possible. We could do the "Groove Blues in F" since nobody ever lost out learning a few more good blues lines. It's fast, but I've learned that Raney's lines make sense at almost any tempo.

I'd be up for it if we could accumulate a group. I'll post an inquiry thread and see if there's interest.
    - Lawson