The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 402

User Info Menu

Moving on from the five 'Basics' exercises, here is the first of what I'll call Frank's "Etudes" (so as not to confuse them with the 'Basics' exercises)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks like you're way ahead of us....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Looks like you're way ahead of us....
    Yes, I realize that. And that raises a very good question as to whether we should all try to stay at the same pace (e.g. one exercise or etude per week) or whether we should proceed at our own paces, as our own schedules and motivation allows. I don't know whether it's motivating, or demotivating, for others to see what's coming around the corner by viewing the videos of people who have gotten to them sooner.

What do you all think? What would be your preference? I just happen to have some free time in my schedule for this right now and I may not always, so I'm trying to move through it rapidly while I have the opportunity to do so (but hopefully not so rapidly that I miss the point of the exercise, etc.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    Yes, I realize that. And that raises a very good question as to whether we should all try to stay at the same pace (e.g. one exercise or etude per week) or whether we should proceed at our own paces, as our own schedules and motivation allows. I don't know whether it's motivating, or demotivating, for others to see what's coming around the corner by viewing the videos of people who have gotten to them sooner.

What do you all think? What would be your preference? I just happen to have some free time in my schedule for this right now and I may not always, so I'm trying to move through it rapidly while I have the opportunity to do so (but hopefully not so rapidly that I miss the point of the exercise, etc.)
    I don't know...

As long as you give us a chance to catch up. Maybe you should take a break when you're starting on Vol.2 and we're still stuck on #2 or 3 in Vol.1?

Actually I had planned to record Basics 3 and 4 and maybe 5 today but my wife got sick so.....

User Info Menu

Here's a take of the fifth and final basic. I don't know what pace to take through the etudes themselves.

On the one hand, we don't want people to feel left behind.
    On the other hand, it's great that so many people are posting.

Whatever the group decides is fine by me.

User Info Menu

Mark, since you've now finished Basics-5 and are turning next to Etude #1, well, then I'm not so far ahead of everybody... (plus I have to slow down now to do the pedal steel version).... I think it'll all work out ok in the end...
    Last edited by jasaco; 02-06-2017 at 06:02 PM.

So I'm looking forward to catching up with you all. Just spent the last 3 or so hours reading all 13 pages of replies and listening to every recording! Got a great feel for what I need to do and I'm inspired by all of your contributions.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inktechpatrick
    So I'm looking forward to catching up with you all. Just spent the last 3 or so hours reading all 13 pages of replies and listening to every recording! Got a great feel for what I need to do and I'm inspired by all of your contributions.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
    Perhaps we can catch up together. I hope to be posting a few of the "basics" by the end of the week. I'd been keeping tabs on the group and decided to go ahead and order the book. Here's hoping I can stay in it here as well as get back to working on the Herb Ellis group. Oh to be young and unencumbered again...

User Info Menu

We never knew who (or how many) would hang with a group if it moved slower. There's no way to tell. There's also no way to tell who (or how many) would hang if the group moved a little faster. There's no telling.

One thing that held me back before was that I found recording such a pain.

I recently got a tripod for my webcam, so I have better options for placing it, though if I had a longer cord, I would have even still better options. Are there extension cords for USB plugs?

Well, thanks to Google and Amazon, I have answered my own question: I can get a 10-foot cable which will allow me to place my camera where I want.

This should also make it easier to place the cam so it will pick up sound from my CD player as well as my guitar.) Maybe be a week or so before I actually get this, but I will.

But back to our issue: this is a case of "a decision made under uncertainty." There is no one right answer for this and little way of determining whether one option is better of worse than another. (Granted, the option "killing people who are a day late with submissions" would be worse than anything that comes to mind. But is four-bars a week better than eight? Might vary with the material, and with the experience of the people participating. We just have to do "the best we can" and accept that that won't be perfect.)

User Info Menu

Just let everybody move at the pace they are comfortable with. Some need more time, some less and that also can vary from week to week. As for me for example: I do have enough time to learn and practice but not always an opportunity to record (unless I'm looking for trouble with the wife....LOL!). We don't have to meet a deadline, right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    We don't have to meet a deadline, right?
    No. Deadlines set an agreeable pace and allow a tangible accomplishment. ("There! I did it!")

Some people start the new year wanting to learn a tune a week. Maybe that slows to a tune every two weeks, and during a busy period, a pace of one a month is the best you can do. If at the end of the year you haven't learned the 52 tunes you planned to but you have only learned 20, well, that's still quite an accomplishment.

The six etudes in Frank's book are worth learning. If you can do it in six days, great! If it takes six weeks, then that's what it takes you. Fine. If it takes six months, after those six months you'll have a better handle on soloing over rhythm changes and that's what it's all about, so that's fine too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes

The six etudes in Frank's book are worth learning. If you can do it in six days, great! If it takes six weeks, then that's what it takes you. Fine. If it takes six months, after those six months you'll have a better handle on soloing over rhythm changes and that's what it's all about, so that's fine too.
    Totally agreed!

User Info Menu

Basics 1 -
    Forgive the crummy audio (had been playing around with a touch of drive and pretty loud, phone mic on overload). Hmmmm. Never mind I guess. Video upload not working. Will try again later.

User Info Menu

Well, got through a couple more of the basics. I've realised a couple of things, my sight reading is terrible, and I'm not really comfortable with these changes. I think I need to spend some time practicing comping and playing arpeggios/ chord tones using the variations in these basic studies. I never really got past the basic 1 6 2 5 progression. So I don't think I'll be rushing through this book...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rahsaan
    So I don't think I'll be rushing through this book...
    Which wouldn't get you anywhere anyhow...

User Info Menu

I have iReal Pro but have to run it on an emulator. I was using BlueStacks to try it out but that is now $48 a year. (It was $24 a year a few weeks ago.) I don't want to pay that. (iReal Pro only cost 13 bucks.)

Are there any free, no-hassle emulators I might try?

I think I'm going back to Band-in-a-Box.... No bad thing.

User Info Menu

Not to change the subject from the study material here but I've been studying Frank's courses on truefire for a few months and since discovering him some years back in awe of his musical knowledge and teaching skills that are superb. Seeing and hearing is more in line for me, never liked tabs and such

User Info Menu

I don't think rules about how fast you go are necessary. Just some common sense courtesy. If we are doing this together, it would be good to stay within a few assignments one side or other of the main pack. That way we are talking the same thing and going through the same thing.

For example, Mark and I seem to be on roughly the same pace and had a good exchange about what octave/register we like to play in and why. I don't think anyone would have commented or cared if my video was of Etude #6, rather than Basics #4. By the time others caught up it would be buried pages back. That would seem to defeat the point of doing a study group.

If you are completing Etude #6 when the center of the pack is on Etude #1, that will just be discouraging to the other players and probably won't get you any meaningful feedback. Likewise, if the center of the pack is at Etude #3 and you are just starting out, might not make a ton of sense to start posting. If you can catch up, great! But until you do, it is unlikely the discussions will be meaningful to you at that point.

Well, at least I think that is common sense. But I am perfectly happy to do whatever the group decides is best. On to my post on the Basic #5...

User Info Menu

Well, in my case, I'm being slowed down now by my commitment to do both a guitar and a pedal steel version of every exercise/etude. The guitar version of Etude #1 went pretty quickly, but the bridge on the PSG version is giving me a little trubble (deciding what positions to use, whether with or without pedals, etc., plus it's still hard for me to play steel in tune while keeping my eyes on printed music). So, I don't think I'm going to be getting too far ahead of anybody anymore, now that the etudes are becoming more involved.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I don't think rules about how fast you go are necessary. Just some common sense courtesy. If we are doing this together, it would be good to stay within a few assignments one side or other of the main pack. That way we are talking the same thing and going through the same thing.

For example, Mark and I seem to be on roughly the same pace and had a good exchange about what octave/register we like to play in and why. I don't think anyone would have commented or cared if my video was of Etude #6, rather than Basics #4. By the time others caught up it would be buried pages back. That would seem to defeat the point of doing a study group.
    This sounds good to me.
    Valentine's day is coming up (14 February). Perhaps that would make a nice "date" for Etude 1. Or better, to start posting etude one. (Those who are ahead may record but delay posting.) This gives people about a week to get ready. And if you're not ready by then, that's fine, but you may listen to Frank play the etude a few times and listen to how some people here are doing it. "Get the tune in your head," so to speak, which will make it easier to learn when you get to it.

Also, you don't have to master every basic before looking at the first etude.

My two cents.

User Info Menu

Anyone else having issues posting video? I've been trying intermittently since yesterday. I get a message that the video failed to upload due to network error.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pants
    Anyone else having issues posting video? I've been trying intermittently since yesterday. I get a message that the video failed to upload due to network error.
    You mean you can't upload them at YouTube?

User Info Menu

You mean you can't upload them at YouTube?
    Dunno. I don't mess with all that. I just record on the phone and then post from the phone.

User Info Menu

Pants,

Mark can confirm this, but I don't believe that one can upload video directly to this forum to be hosted on the forum's own servers. A video (just like an audio) needs to be hosted elsewhere on the web (e.g. YouTube for vids, SoundCloud or PicoSong for audio) and then you can insert a link to it in your post here on the forum. Videos will show up here in your forum post and appear to be hosted locally but really they are just linking to the file being hosted elsewhere. The simplest option for video is probably YouTube so you might want to open a (free) YT account and spend a few minutes learning how to upload your file there.

User Info Menu

Pants,

Mark can confirm this, but I don't believe that one can upload video directly to this forum to be hosted on the forum's own servers. A video (just like an audio) needs to be hosted elsewhere on the web (e.g. YouTube for vids, SoundCloud or PicoSong for audio) and then you can insert a link to it in your post here on the forum. Videos will show up here in your forum post and appear to be hosted locally but really they are just linking to the file being hosted elsewhere. The simplest option for video is probably YouTube so you might want to open a (free) YT account and spend a few minutes learning how to upload your file there.
    Through Tapatalk there's a button that you select a photo/video locally on your phone. I believe it gets "hosted" at Vimeo, but I've never had to set anything up or go to
    the site. I've posted a dozen or so videos like this previously with no issues. I'm assuming some kind of bug in Tapatalk or in how the forum interacts with Vimeo/Tapatalk.