The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 402
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    Yes, let's do that. I guess folks can post either video or audio, whichever they prefer...
    Yes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I would have preferred some explanations to the individual etudes myself, like "this is a typical swing / bebop solo" or something like that, or "this playing a diminished run over such and such a chord." so I could use that as a starting point in making up my own runs. As for the chord symbols above the notation I think it's mainly writing the chords that are being outlined in the corresponding phrases - at least that has been my impression.
    I agree. But we need to work with what we have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I would say that that is what the group is for. We will have the discussion and teach each other and create the commentary that Frank is not providing.

User Info Menu

The Less Good:

I was immediately disappointed that:

(a) there is no teaching of the chords, voicings, etc. This is strictly a series on "how to solo over rhythm changes" not "how to play rhythm changes chords, voicings, etc."; and
    My best guess is that Frank sees these volumes (three on rhythm changes and two on blues) as supplements to the long "Mel Bay Modern Guitar Method" Series. (I suspect they teach reading, scales, arps, technique, in a graded fashion.) Still, I agree that it is disappointing that there isn't at least a page or two of Frank's go-to grips for all the chord types used.

I'll send him an email and see if can give us a link to a page of grips he would recommend for comping rhythm changes.

User Info Menu

While we're on the subject of chords, I have Neck Diagrams software. If need be, we can put together our own page or two of grips for rhythm changes. Compare and contrast. See what we like, what we find "playable" as the tempos rise, etc.

User Info Menu

OK, I'll begin. Here is Basics 1 - key of C

User Info Menu

Amazing how you can make a guide tone line sound like actual melodies by adding rhythm - well done!

User Info Menu

OK, I'll begin. Here is Basics 1 - key of C
    Nice! I'll give it a go this weekend. May I ask what backing track you used?

User Info Menu

I just plugged Frank's changes into BIAB with the zzjazz setting. I had to replace the piano with a guitar before saving. Happy to email the file to anyone who has BIAB and PM's me their direct email address.

I just plugged Frank's changes into BIAB with the zzjazz setting. I had to replace the piano with a guitar before saving. Happy to email the file to anyone who has BIAB and PM's me their direct email address.
    I did the same with IReal Book. Let me know if anyone wants a copy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Nowadays, everything I'm working on has to be duplicated on both guitar and pedal steel so, FWIW, here's Exercise 1 on pedal steel...

User Info Menu

I heard back from Frank Vignola. Rather than write it out, he made a short (4 minute) video of basic rhythm changes (in Bb). What a guy!

The uploader here is hinky now, so I'll wait until that is sorted out before trying to post it.
    I could share it via dropbox too----send me a PM with your email address if you would like that.

User Info Menu

Got it, thanks Mark!

User Info Menu

Here's a link to a page of 20 essential rhythm guitar voicings. It's from Jonathan Stout, a member here, and a first-rate swing guitar player. (If you've never seen any of his YouTube clips, you're missing something fine!)

Jonathan Stout and his Campus Five, featuring Hilary Alexander - Swing Guitar Blog - The 20 Essential Rhythm Guitar Voicings

User Info Menu

Not trying to get ahead of y'all but I had some good time available today, so I did Basic-2 too...

User Info Menu

Not trying to get ahead of y'all but I had some good time available today, so I did Basic-2 too...
    Good job! I was playing that too. (Though just as written--nothin' fancy!) I'll have to set up my webcam and record some tomorrow.

It will be interesting later to compare the etudes to the lines of the "basics".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Good job!
    +1! Beautiful guitar by the way!

User Info Menu

I bought that book I while ago, but I only worked on one of the etudes. So this thread motivated me to start again. Here is the first piece. I got a little carried away with the effects after the recording, but I kind of like it.

User Info Menu

Here's my take of the first basic. I really like the 3rd etude in this book. Looking forward to getting into the etudes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I used Frank's CD...
    Frank's CD? You mean the course includes a backing track for Basic-1? I didn't seem to find one on my download version...

User Info Menu

You mean the course includes a backing track for Basic-1?
    I have the book with CD version. There isn't a "backing" Track for the basics, but a track where Frank plays the exercise along with comping. But since the lead and the comping are both in the center of the mix, I was not able to remove the lead part (which is sometimes possible otherwise).

User Info Menu

In case anyone's interested, here's the second exercise (Basic-2) adapted to C6 pedal steel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hats
    I have the book with CD version. There isn't a "backing" Track for the basics, but a track where Frank plays the exercise along with comping. But since the lead and the comping are both in the center of the mix, I was not able to remove the lead part (which is sometimes possible otherwise).
    Right. Same thing for the "practice tempo" takes of the etudes.

User Info Menu

Basics 3, in Bb

User Info Menu

OK, I'm in!

Basic No.1