The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 1565

User Info Menu

I thought it was time to gather up some of the Barry Harris stuff that is spread out all over the place. Here's a link to a youtube channel with lots of great material: BarryHarrisVideos - YouTube

David B posted this in another thread, and I'm sure he won't mind:

"Just collating in one post here the various materials available from Barry Harris and his students:

Barry Harris 4DVD/book set (1): The Barry Harris Workshop Video ? Howard Rees' Jazz Workshops
    Barry Harris 4DVD/book set (2): The Barry Harris Workshop Video Part 2 ? Howard Rees' Jazz Workshops

'The Barry Harris Harmonic Method for Guitar' by Alan Kingstone: The Barry Harris Harmonic Method for Guitar ? Howard Rees' Jazz Workshops

'Talk Jazz Guitar' by Roni Ben-Hur: Roni Ben-Hur - Talk Jazz: Guitar

'Chordability' DVD by Roni Ben-Hur: Roni Ben-Hur - Chordability

Pasquale Grasso's four video lessons at www.mymusicmasterclass.com : https://www.mymusicmasterclass.com/a...squale-grasso/

Roni Ben-Hur's two 'Anatomy of a Tune' video lessons at Mike's Master Classes:
    'How High the Moon' : Anatomy of a Tune - Be-bop Style | Lesson by Roni Ben-Hur | Mike's Master Classes
    'Confirmation' : Confirmation | Lesson by Roni Ben-Hur | Mike's Master Classes "

It would be awesome if some of the other members here who have posted on this stuff would copy and paste it here. I know there's a couple really good posts and videos on here somewhere...but it would be tough for me to go track them all down (hence the reason for this thread).

Hope this thread turns out to be a helpful one for people trying to get a basic idea before purchasing some of the study materials, and a good place to ask questions.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks, Joe!

This could become a rich resource for, um, All Things Barry Harris.

As you say, there's a lot about Barry's approach on this site already but it isn't always easy to locate (because it so often comes up on, say, page 3 of a thread about something else.)

User Info Menu

Are there any free resources that start from zero? Not necessarily a full-on course, but maybe an overview?

Not that I can think of, Joe. The subject is huge. Any specific questions? Eventually I could see this thread evolving into something like that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Are there any free resources that start from zero? Not necessarily a full-on course, but maybe an overview?
    That's my problem, too. Maybe someone can write some lessons for this site.

I would love to do it. I have a good understanding of it; it's just that there are people on here with so much more experience than me that could do a better job. I just like publicizing this stuff because I genuinely wish I had found it sooner

User Info Menu

This may be a helpful introduction

Barry Harris's Sixth Diminished Scale | Cochrane Music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Not free, but there's a 26 page pdf available for $15 through Barry's site that gives a good overview with plenty to get you started: The Official Barry Harris Website for Jazz Education and Information

On the chordal side of things, the late Rick Stone had a couple of articles on the sixth diminished scales in Just Jazz Guitar magazine. At one time they were freely available from his website but the only place I can find them now is on Scribd (which I'm loathe to link to but it's the only obvious source for now):
    https://www.scribd.com/document/1368...ris-Rick-Stone
    and
    https://www.scribd.com/document/2069...shed-Scale-pdf
    Last edited by David B; 10-13-2016 at 02:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Assorted bits of Barry Harris from around the Internet. (I'll post them one at a time.)

"Who did they ask how to teach at these colleges? That's what's wrong."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8JJncSUdUU

User Info Menu

Barry performing with his trio, 1976.

The 6th dim scale seems to be what people most commonly know a little bit about. In the material I have, it is mentioned as a tool for single lines, but is primarily a harmonic device, e.g. one of my favorites is playing it in contrary motion while "filling in" the middle voices as the outers spread. Sometimes it just seems like people learn the 6th dim scale and think that's all there is to it and everything else is based off that. The single note stuff is actually focused on mainly other stuff. Just wanted to put that out there

User Info Menu

Barry teaches feeling the 'and'. The relation of dance to jazz.

"The golden age has passed. We are in the dark ages."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    I would love to do it. I have a good understanding of it; it's just that there are people on here with so much more experience than me that could do a better job. I just like publicizing this stuff because I genuinely wish I had found it sooner
    Joe, don't let that stop you. I'm curious about it and would love to see an overview. I'm sure others will chime in if they feel moved to do so.

User Info Menu

Here's something I did about using the BH chord approach:

Barry Harris chord movements - My Romance

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    On the chordal side of things, the late Rick Stone had a couple of articles on the sixth diminished scales in Just Jazz Guitar magazine. At one time they were freely available from his website but the only place I can find them now is on Scribd (which I'm loathe to link to but it's the only obvious source for now):
    https://www.scribd.com/document/1368...ris-Rick-Stone
    and
    https://www.scribd.com/document/2069...shed-Scale-pdf
    I found these a while ago on the Internet Archive of Rick's site:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110921...m/lessons.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page (there are links to a series he wrote on chord construction as well).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bonnerj

Scroll to the bottom of the page (there are links to a series he wrote on chord construction as well).

Great! I made copies of two of those articles some years ago and have kept them since. (Can't say I delved deeply into the subject but I knew it was something I'd want to come back to.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bonnerj

Awesome! Exactly what I'm looking for!

User Info Menu

My copy of the workshop DVD was supposed to arrive today (Thursday, 13 October 2016) but did not. Tracking info has not been updated since Sunday AM. Maybe tomorrow....

Well, I received "talk jazz guitar", the Roni Ben-Hur BH single-line equivalent, while I was out of town, this week. So, count me in among the curious.

Peer pressure..... :-)
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 10-13-2016 at 07:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Well, I received "talk jazz guitar", the Roni Ben-Hur BH single-line equivalent, while I was out of town, this week. So, count me in among the curious.

Peer pressure..... :-)
    I've been going over that while waiting for the Barry Harris DVDs to arrive. The CD for Roni's book arrived broken and he kindly supplied me with the sound files via dropbox but I have no idea what became of them---I've never heard a single example from that book played. But it's straightforward enough material...

I want to work on an overview for you guys. I'll do a little at a time since I tend to start projects and not finish...this way I'll let least have contributed something.
    Scale practice or "the ABC's"

1. The chord built on the 5th of a dominant chord (the ii in a ii-V-I) is referred to as the "important minor" of that dominant chord. For single note soloing the important minor is ignored and a dominant scale (mixolydian) is played over the ii and V. G7 dominant scale over Cm7-G7.

2. A two bar phrase is created by playing a major or dominant scale from the tonic to 7th back down to the tonic. That's called playing the scale "Up and down."

3. Scales should be practiced in 3rds: Do Mi Re Fa Mi Sol etc
    Starting a half step below each 3rd: Ti Do Mi Di Re Fa Ri Mi Sol etc
    In triads: Do Mi Sol Re Fa La Mi Sol Ti etc
    Triads with half step below first note, 4 note chords (arpeggios), 4 note chords with half step below first note.

4. There are 3 important arpeggios to master inside and out in all inversions within the dominant scale: Built off the tonic, the 5th, and 7th.

5. Start adding melodic leaps by use of pivoting. Just octave displacement...I don't think I need to explain that. He talks about how the piano seemingly has such a huge range that allows for these long flowing lines, but even an instrument with a short range can play the same phrases by the use of good pivoting.

So that's like not even half the "ABC's" from the first dvd set. The stuff is as dense as could be. Mastering just the above on all guitar positions could be years of work for some people

User Info Menu

Awesome stuff, Joe! Point of clarification - you say the dominant scale is the mixolydian, but there should be an extra note in there, right? The "bebop dominant" scale I learned by way of David Baker has it between the b7 and the R. Is that the case here as well?

Not yet Joe, that comes later.

edit: Baker's Bebop scale would be referred to as a dominant scale with an added note
    Last edited by joe2758; 10-14-2016 at 12:34 PM.

User Info Menu

OK, thanks.

Scale practice or "the ABC's" Cont.

1. Practice major arps down chromatically in all inversions; this is actually super easy and natural to do on guitar.
    Do Sol Mi Do then half step down to next arp Do Mi Sol Do then half step down to next arp Do Sol Mi Do. etc... including inversions.

2. "The Harris Half-step Practice Model": It's about rhythm. Major and minor have different suggested added notes, but the idea is the same (and when it comes down to it, the added note can be any note). A descending dominant scale from tonic to tonic should have 1 extra note (suggested between 8-b7 like BostonJoe said). Starting on 9th to tonic (he says 2, but I think 9th is clearer) can have no extra notes or two extra notes (between 9-8 and 8-b7). Starting on odd numbered degrees gets 1 extra note, even numbered degrees get 0 or 2 extra notes.

3. Various rules for adding triplets and intervals to the above descending runs.

4. The chromatic scale breaks down to two whole tone scales. 3 diminished chords are created by taking two notes from each whole tone scale. There are 4 dominant 7th chords related to each diminished chord