The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 30 of 63 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Posts 726 to 750 of 1566
    Hey, what is the break down of the other classes in May in terms of improv and vocal (or any others)? What is the schedule like?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Hey, what is the break down of the other classes in May in terms of improv and vocal (or any others)? What is the schedule like?
    There is also harmony and tap dancing I think.

User Info Menu

Here is the schedule. You can email Howard for other details.

WHEN: Friday May 3rd to Sunday May 5th.

SCHEDULE:
    * Harmony Classes: Fri 5:30 to 7:30pm; Sat & Sun 10:30am to 1pm
    * Improvisation Classes: Sat 2:30 to 5pm, Sun 2:30 to 4:30pm
    * Tap Dancer’s Improvisation Class: Sat 5:45 to 7:45pm
    * Vocal Class: Sunday 4:30 to 6:30pm

LUNCH BREAK: each day from 1pm to 2:30pm. There is a wide variety of cafes in the immediate area.

Tap dancing! that does it, i gotta get my ass over there.
    So I just show up right?

User Info Menu

So I just show up right?
    You have to register first. Today is the early registration deadline. i.e. The fee will go up after today. I'd recommend you email Howard today if you want to get the discount.

User Info Menu

So I just show up right?
    Bojangles2758

User Info Menu

I saw Barry accompany Jimmy Slyde in about 2003 in a very nice small theatre. Sheila Jordan was just behind me and I think she was giving me tips on how to cook a turkey. Don't ask for the recipe because I was in awe of the amazing Sheila Jordan.

Look up Jimmy Slyde.
    Last edited by A. Kingstone; 04-13-2019 at 04:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi,

How is everyone here? Thread was very quiet lately.

Here's a new transcription of Barry's solo on There Will Never Be Another you (live in Bologna):

Love this solo. So melodic. Hope it can be useful to anyone.

Here's me from two years ago trying to hack it...

Cheers,
    Tamir

Nice work, Tamir. I actually saw it pop up on my youtube last night. I like just following along the score-- Will be a long time before I get to trying it.

As for me, I'm working on comping How High the Moon, Cherokee, Body and soul, rhythm changes, blues... That's enough to keep me busy. I need to also practice soloing over these tunes...Too much to do so little time.

User Info Menu

Cool man.
    I’m mostly shedding the blues. Trying to internalize as much of Barry’s stuff.

Here’s current status:

User Info Menu

On the Barry Harris tip, a new two-part class from Roni Ben-Hur came online today at My Music Masterclass - Home - Music Lessons From Your Heroes , looking at 'Indiana/Donna Lee'

Roni Ben-Hur - Inside a Jazz Standard 1 & 2 - Jazz Guitar Lesson Bundle

Last edited by David B; 05-01-2019 at 02:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamirgal
    Cool man.
    I’m mostly shedding the blues. Trying to internalize as much of Barry’s stuff.

Here’s current status:

Sounding great man

User Info Menu

Thanks Christian!
    Appreciate it

User Info Menu

I don't know if this question has been asked before in the forum, Google doesn't help. How would you apply Barry Harris scale practice to ATTYA? In particular I'm interested in finding out what scales to play on vi minor and IV major chords. Just the tonic major? If so, it seems to me, that would be a bit too dismissive of the chord tones. Any ideas?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I don't know if this question has been asked before in the forum, Google doesn't help. How would you apply Barry Harris scale practice to ATTYA? In particular I'm interested in finding out what scales to play on vi minor and IV major chords. Just the tonic major? If so, it seems to me, that would be a bit too dismissive of the chord tones. Any ideas?
    ATTYA a la Barry is discussed by Christian and others on page 3 of this very thread!

User Info Menu

OK, thanks I found Christian's post. I can see playing Ab Major over vi minor is a reasonable fit both functionally and chord tone alignment wise. But Db major scale over IV chord seems a bit less satisfying. The Gb doesn't fit the key obviously. I'm just trying to understand, is playing major scale from the root of IV over IV chord a best guess approach based on available Barry Harris material out there or does Barry Harris explain somewhere why that's a good fit?

User Info Menu

Oh wait I was referring to the post below, but there is a later post where Christian suggests Ab major over Dbmaj7. That fits the key of course On the other hand it doesn't fit the function. Barry Harris motivates these scale exercises as also a way of hearing the harmony (chords come from scales after all). I can see playing the tonic major scale over vi and iii working reasonably well in that regard. But over subdominant?
    Imagine a tune that starts with a progression- regression pattern like IV I IV I, just playing the major scale 4 times would miss the progression entirely. Is this a short coming of simplifying the major harmony to dominant and major scales?

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Reposted from ATTYA thread:

OK, here's my Barry Harris scale breakdown for this tune. Haven't proofread this so there might be mistakes. The middle eight looks mental with those accidentals, but for non-readers, here's the scale breakdown

1-7 for 1 bar scales, 1-7-1 for 2 bar scales, 7-1 when running a scale down to the third.

Fm7 --> Ab major (I) (Fm7=Ab6)
    Bbm7 Eb7 --> Eb dominant (V)
    Abmaj7 --> Ab major (I)
    Dbmaj7 --> Db major (IV)
    Dm7b5 G7b9 --> Bb dominant down to the third of G7 (II7)
    Cmaj7 --> C major (III)

Then, same thing in Eb major.

Middle 8 is easy
    Am7 D7 --> D dominant
    Gmaj7 --> G major
    F#m7 B7 --> B dominant
    Emaj7 --> E major
    C7b9 --> Eb dominant down to the third of C7

Fm7 --> Ab major (Fm7=Ab6)
    Bbm7 Eb7 --> Eb dominant
    Abmaj7 --> Ab major
    Dbmaj7 --> Db major
    Gb7 --> Gb dominant
    Ab/C --> Ab major
    Bo7 --> Bb7 down to the third of G7 (?)
    Bbm7 Eb7 --> Eb dominant
    Abmaj7 --> Ab major

Run in all positions, octaves etc and you will be in an excellent position to solo on the tune.

User Info Menu

Oh wait I was referring to the post below, but there is a later post where Christian suggests Ab major over Dbmaj7. That fits the key of course On the other hand it doesn't fit the function. Barry Harris motivates these scale exercises as also a way of hearing the harmony (chords come from scales after all). I can see playing the tonic major scale over vi and iii working reasonably well in that regard. But over subdominant?
    Imagine a tune that starts with a progression- regression pattern like IV I IV I, just playing the major scale 4 times would miss the progression entirely. Is this a short coming of simplifying the major harmony to dominant and major scales?
    That’s not how Barry teaches it. I was wrong.

It’s Db with a #4. If you call it Lydian the entire workshop shuts down for 30m while Barry has a rant.

Don’t do it kids.

User Info Menu

It’s Db with a #4. If you call it Lydian the entire workshop shuts down for 30m while Barry has a rant.

Don’t do it kids.
    If I ever have an opportunity to go to a Barry Harris workshop again, it'll take all my concentration not to yell out Lydian. Love it when Barry goes on a rant.

User Info Menu

If I ever have an opportunity to go to a Barry Harris workshop again, it'll take all my concentration not to yell out Lydian. Love it when Barry goes on a rant.
    The tension in the room was palpable

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Look up Jimmy Slyde.
    I've posted this 3X already & will keep doing so until banned...

User Info Menu

That’s not how Barry teaches it. I was wrong.

Don’t do it kids.
    Did Barry call it Db with #4?

Anyway listening to Barry on ATTYA, I don't think I've heard him land on the G note too much (either natural or flatted), but there aren't that many recordings of him playing this tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    ATTYA a la Barry is discussed by Christian and others on page 3 of this very thread!
    Yes but it’s bollocks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamirgal
    Did Barry call it Db with #4?

Anyway listening to Barry on ATTYA, I don't think I've heard him land on the G note too much (either natural or flatted), but there aren't that many recordings of him playing this tune.
    Well Db with an A

User Info Menu

Well Db with an A
    Wait is this a typo? I thought it was a #4.