The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 29 of 63 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Posts 701 to 725 of 1566

User Info Menu

Well the phrases are all fairly simple no?

5 = descending fifth followed by ascending fourth decorated by lower neighbour on second note and upper neighbour on 3rd note
    4 = 3 note enclosure/surround
    3 = pivot arpeggio
    2 = chromatic approach thingy

So they should all work. Might need to change the order of notes in 4. I always think it’s best to use diatonic upper and lower for that and slot the chromatic in where there’s a gap.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

haha ya'll just saying stuff from my post. I use the minor 4 phrase where needed

User Info Menu

Different example, but here playing a minor 5-3ish phrase from the ii minor. Played in ii-V context (last four bars of the blues).

The pivot arpeggio of the 3 phrase in ii minor is the same as the 7th of the dominant, and that’s classic barry.

Hey, i thought this might be a fun challenge for you guys. Here is a list of chord moves: ( ° is half diminished for this post)
    1. I - im7
    2. V9 - ii° - V alt
    3. I - #iv°
    4. ii° - V alt
    5. iim7 - V9
    6. I - II9 - iim7

The puzzle is what do all these have in common?

User Info Menu

I have no clue! Maybe you can share some insight on this?

User Info Menu

I haven’t a Scooby

User Info Menu

The puzzle is what do all these have in common?
    Probably not the answer you are looking for but these are all either dominant or subdominant moves that
    can bring it back to I major.

They are all minor third movements (here's in C):

1. C6 to Eb6
    2. Dm6 to Fm6 to Abm6
    3. C6 to Am6
    4. Fmin6 to Ab min6
    5. F6 to Dm6
    6. C6 to Am6 - and then I was wrong on the iim7 I think lol

but anyway, the point is I've been practicing cycles of minor thirds in closest inversions. The result is I can play these moves easily without thinking in any inversion (well, I'm still working on it but I'm seeing nice results). These are just the ones I've found from looking at how high the moon and Cherokee...I'll keep looking for more as I work on various tunes I think.

Some things I don't necessarily think of another chord for example F6 to G9 I just lower the 5th etc

User Info Menu

You guys seen this?

User Info Menu

For Confirmation, I have the following outlines. Can Any of you Barry Harris experts let me know if I missed anything?

First A;
    F major up
    C7 down to third of A
    Dm up
    F7 up
    Bb7 up
    D7 up
    G7 up
    C7 up

Second and third A;
    F major up
    C7 down to third of A
    Dm up
    F7 up
    Bb7 up
    D7 up
    C7 up
    F major up

B part
    F7 up and down
    Bb major up and down
    Ab7 up and down
    Db major up
    C7 up

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Petimar
    For Confirmation, I have the following outlines. Can Any of you Barry Harris experts let me know if I missed anything?

First A;
    F major up
    C7 down to third of A
    Dm up
    F7 up
    Bb7 up
    D7 up
    G7 up
    C7 up

Second and third A;
    F major up
    C7 down to third of A
    Dm up
    F7 up
    Bb7 up
    D7 up
    C7 up
    F major up

B part
    F7 up and down
    Bb major up and down
    Ab7 up and down
    Db major up
    C7 up
    The charts I have show the third bar of the A sections as |Dmin G7|, so I'd use G7 instead of Dmin there.

I understand needing some confirmation on that. sorry.

bar 3: G7 up is probably what is standard...Dm is cool too though. rest looks good from what I know

User Info Menu

First A;
    F major up
    C7 down to third of A
    Dm up
    F7 up
    Bb7 up
    D7 up
    G7 up
    C7 up

Second and third A;
    F major up
    C7 down to third of A
    Dm up
    F7 up
    Bb7 up
    D7 up
    C7 up
    F major up

B part
    F7 up and down
    Bb major up and down
    Ab7 up and down
    Db major up
    C7 up
    Looks good to me.

You could go F7 down to 3rd D7 on the D7. That’s the option Roni Ben Hur prefers as it’s more in the key, but either is cool.

You are not going to have enough time to play the scales for G7 C7 on the second A, and I see you just put C7 there, which is fine, but you could play 1-2-3-5 instead.

User Info Menu

Article in JazzTimes this week: Inside the Barry Harris Method - JazzTimes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    You could go F7 down to 3rd D7 on the D7. That’s the option Roni Ben Hur prefers as it’s more in the key, but either is cool.
    Very cool, don't know why I didn't see that. I like this and will start using this.

Thanks everyone! Its little nuggets like this that keep me asking.

By the way, anyone still working through Chris' videos?

Very cool, don't know why I didn't see that. I like this and will start using this.

Thanks everyone! Its little nuggets like this that keep me asking.

By the way, anyone still working through Chris' videos?
    Not in the same way I was, but that was SUPER beneficial while it lasted. Right now I have a pretty narrow scope of what I'm working on as I prepare for a Howard Rees intensive workshop in August

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Not in the same way I was, but that was SUPER beneficial while it lasted. Right now I have a pretty narrow scope of what I'm working on as I prepare for a Howard Rees intensive workshop in August
    Do you know that Barry Harris is actually giving a workshop in Howard Rees's studio in May?

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Do you know that Barry Harris is actually giving a workshop in Howard Rees's studio in May?
    Yeah I'm going to try to make it, but I'm not sure if i can. The Auguest one I was able to clear my schedule for. Anyone else going to either?

User Info Menu

Yeah I'm going to try to make it, but I'm not sure if i can. The Auguest one I was able to clear my schedule for. Anyone else going to either?
    Not sure yet. I have attended in the past both Barry Harris and Howard Rees workshops in that same location though.

User Info Menu

I wish I could make any of these. But not in this lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Not sure yet. I have attended in the past both Barry Harris and Howard Rees workshops in that same location though.
    Well shoot me a message if you can go; would be cool to meet you.

User Info Menu

I’ll be at the Saturday and Sunday harmony classes in May, the only ones that fit my schedule. I haven’t missed a chance to see Barry in Toronto in at least the last ten years.
    Last edited by pcjazz; 04-12-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: schedule change

User Info Menu

Well shoot me a message if you can go; would be cool to meet you.
    Definitely. Likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    I’ll be at the Saturday morning harmony class in May, the only one that fits my schedule. I haven’t missed a chance to see Barry in Toronto in at least the last ten years.
    Cool! Yeah anyone going should shoot me a message. I'm coming all the way from Pennsylvania