The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Posts 951 to 975 of 1566

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morgan76
    Could any of you kind souls check I've got this right?

C up and down
    Bb7 up and down
    C up and down
    Eb7 up and down
    Ab up and down
    D7 up and down
    G7 up and down

1235 on each chord of the turnaround
    Lady Bird?

Looks good

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My problem with all this Harris thing is.. OK We've got the scales, but now? We have yet to make music with them. Scales are not lines.
    I think Peter Farrell video material should be better explained but you feel music from minute 1. I have put a lot of effort with the scale outlines and my achievement has been to sound so scalar and previsible. Harris speaks so badly about other educators but He is not far from Berklee education prespective: play this scales and may be you obtain music from them. May be I'm wrong but is what I feel. Jazz has been a chord tone thing until Coltrane and Miles. Benson is the last of the chord tone-passing tone strategy.

User Info Menu

Thanks! Oops yeah, Lady Bird

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sjl
    My problem with all this Harris thing is.. OK We've got the scales, but now? We have yet to make music with them. Scales are not lines.
    I think Peter Farrell video material should be better explained but you feel music from minute 1. I have put a lot of effort with the scale outlines and my achievement has been to sound so scalar and previsible. Harris speaks so badly about other educators but He is not far from Berklee education prespective: play this scales and may be you obtain music from them. May be I'm wrong but is what I feel. Jazz has been a chord tone thing until Coltrane and Miles. Benson is the last of the chord tone-passing tone strategy.
    Barry Harris does not say “play scales and that’s all there is to it.” There are pages of things in Barry’s book to practice just within the dominant scale: triads, arpeggios, “important arpeggios”, the previous with half-step approach, the half-step rules, etc.

I’ve only practiced this all in a haphazard fashion, but once my ears gets familiar with the sounds, and I start correlating those sounds to what I hear on bebop recordings, it starts to come out in my playing a bit.

I imagine that this would all be a lot more useful if you could sit in on his in-person lessons on a regular basis and have to suffer through the humiliation of his somewhat Socratic approach. I sat in on a couple of covid-era Zoom sessions and appreciated the benefit to be had from hearing him sing a line at tempo, perhaps over a ii-V movement, based on one important arpeggio followed by a descending line with half-step rules applied, and having to basically play it by ear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sjl
    You need to spend some time with BH material. Chris (thing I learned from Barry Harris) is a good place to start.

His teaching isn’t built around the student specifically; it’s more like when he was growing up. You take what you can from it, which is more and more as you get familiar with it. He learned by watching piano players in clubs, listening to records and puzzling out what was going on, grabbing hold of any information he could get.

I had similar misgivings starting out, but really it is very different from the Berklee thing. That’s a theory of harmony; Barry actually details a whole bunch of strategies to go from scales to lines.

i can’t sum it up here. You have to immerse yourself. It takes a while to get up to speed.

But; I came to it by studying bebop solos and then I could see the value of it. Parker plays a lot of scalic stuff as well as chord tones. I started understanding Barry’s perspective when I saw there was a lot of stuff in that music that wasn’t simply chord tones and passing tones...

User Info Menu

Thanks mates. I 'll give it another chance, sure is my fault.

User Info Menu

As Christian said, this is a great place to start. He shows you how to turn those scales into lines:

Things I've Learned From Barry Harris
    - YouTube

User Info Menu

Don't overlook the "5, 4, 3, and 2 " scale degree embellishment phrases. They demonstrate the two general types of melodic embellishments. Once you have those for the key of the song, and also for the chord of the moment, then it's time to extrapolate and discover the 8, 7, b6 and 6 scale degree embellishment phrases. And then figure out the ascending forms of all of those scale degree embellishment phrases.

User Info Menu

Also, the way BH teaches shapes in diminished scale, whole tone scale, and the scale specific chromatic scale tweaks for melodic improv is useful.

User Info Menu

I find scales sound quite good when played down from the 7th (especially with a grace note to that first note). I am not a fan of going up from the root. Then reverse 7 and 6; then reverse 2 and 1
    Last edited by rintincop; 09-01-2020 at 01:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Is Barry's official 4 phrase in minor?

4 2 4 -3
    or
    4 1 2 -3

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Is Barry's official 4 phrase in minor?

4 2 4 -3
    or
    4 1 2 -3
    4 1 2 -3 in the DVD booklet...

User Info Menu

The “4” phrase is

4-down to 2- up step wise b3 to M3

4-2-b3-3

User Info Menu

I quite like 4-#1-2-b3

User Info Menu

I hate to rehash an old BH question, but I need the BH brain trust to help me understand the still confusing dichotomy of BH harmony and melody.

I understand that BH's maj6dim scale is for HARMONIZING. For single note melody, BH believes in a scale first approach. So if your trusty Real Book says D-7 G7/Cmaj7 you practice getting the soloing into your ears by playing a G Dom scale up/down and a C maj scale up/down. Or for E-7b5 A7/D-7 you would practice a C Dom to the third of A and a D min scale with a b6 and 6 (right?).

But if you are comping, you are supposed to look at that D-7 G7/Cmaj7 as just movement to a C6. The most obvious is to play the F6->Do->C6. Or maybe F6->F#o->C6.

So, what if you are doing a little of both? Or if you are being comped by a BH person who is playing these "movements" rather than the 251's. What scales do I practice? Do I stick to the Real Book and think of the comping as just an embellishment or is it a reharmonization of the Real Book requiring different scales? What does BH teach about this?

User Info Menu

There is some overlap actually, BH also uses single-note scales derived from the 6/dim stuff to play lines. (This is covered in the Roni Ben Hur book and also in some of the ‘Things I Learned’ YouTube episodes).

For myself I just think of them mainly as 2 separate approaches. When I’m messing about with solo guitar stuff I find myself using the 6/dim sometimes to create chordal passages, but when playing passages involving lines I will be thinking more of the ‘improv’ single-line stuff. I don’t have much difficulty in switching from one to the other. I think it is because I am thinking in terms of the chords and lines that I have already learned to generate from the 2 systems, rather than painstakingly thinking about the systems themselves, if you see what I mean. You have to get to that stage somehow.

Of course sometimes I will stop at a particular point and do some analysis, if I think there is something that could be improved. Mainly this will be where I am trying to get some better chordal stuff happening. But that is not ‘playing’. Eventually the new stuff I figured out in the ‘analysis’ will creep into my playing. But it takes a while.

User Info Menu

Actually I raised a similar thought once on the forum, I wondered somewhat facetiously would a BH-style pianist have to simultaneously think left-hand: harmonic system, right-hand: improv system, if they were playing a solo while comping chords in the left hand?

In fact if you listen to bebop pianists like BH, when they are playing flowing bebop lines in the RH, they are usually only playing quite minimal LH chords, often just root and third, root and seventh, or root and sixth.

At slower tempos such such as a ballad, then you hear a lot more rich harmonic movement in the chords they use. But then they usually aren’t playing such complex lines in the RH.

There are some interesting solo piano tracks by Bud Powell where you can really hear this dichotomy. Here’s an example where he plays quite full chords and passing chords during the head, but once he starts his solo the chords are reduced to very simple voicings, often just 2 notes:

Last edited by grahambop; 10-07-2020 at 10:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Bud very often played just 1, 7 and 3 behind his solos. This is what I hear most in his trio playing.

User Info Menu

Saw this on FB - you can watch this one-hour film on Barry Harris, free for the rest of October:

Spirit of Bebop Film – Barry Harris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    Or if you are being comped by a BH person who is playing these "movements" rather than the 251's. What scales do I practice? Do I stick to the Real Book and think of the comping as just an embellishment or is it a reharmonization of the Real Book requiring different scales? What does BH teach about this?
    Dr. Harris teaches that comping does not "suggest" to soloists and vise versa. Comping is to outline the progression and keep the rhythm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WILSON 1
    Dr. Harris teaches that comping does not "suggest" to soloists and vise versa. Comping is to outline the progression and keep the rhythm.
    Thank you, David. That is the most direct answer I’ve had. Interestingly, Bob Conti also holds that as long as soloing and comping follow the form of the song they can exist completely independently. He’s said in his videos and once on the phone with me, “I don’t even know what that guy is playing. It doesn’t matter!”

I think of Conti and Harris as pretty close to polar opposites, but it is instructive when these philosophies converge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Saw this on FB - you can watch this one-hour film on Barry Harris, free for the rest of October:

Spirit of Bebop Film – Barry Harris
    Interesting film, heartening to see so many young kids enthusiastic about being in Barry’s choir.

There was a brief glimpse of Jimmy Heath on soprano sax in the big concert at the end.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    Thank you, David. That is the most direct answer I’ve had. Interestingly, Bob Conti also holds that as long as soloing and comping follow the form of the song they can exist completely independently. He’s said in his videos and once on the phone with me, “I don’t even know what that guy is playing. It doesn’t matter!”

I think of Conti and Harris as pretty close to polar opposites, but it is instructive when these philosophies converge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You know one result of the pandemic is realising that everyone sounds just as good tracking their parts separately as they do playing in the same room, regardless of what style of jazz it is.

It’s not what I expected.

It’s more fun in the same room.

User Info Menu

Pianist Issac Raz has a bunch of Barry Harris method YouTube videos. He has attended Barrys classes a long time and is still attending the Zoom classes. He started his Barry videos about a year ago (his older videos are not on Barrys teachings) but hes got quite a few and is always adding others.

He has a few where he looks a ideas Barry covered in one specific class that I really find helpful. His YouTube page is here:

Isaac Raz - YouTube

User Info Menu

What would a scale outline on something like Desafinado look like, with the b5 on the G7 etc.?

I try to think in scale outlines as much as possible, and I understand running scale into scale on something like a minor II V I, but I haven't grasped how to think about different altered dominants with it.