The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Posts 1,276 to 1,300 of 1566

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    it’s good to know I wasn’t the only one lol.

tbh I’ve not watched much of Chris’s stuff, or anybody else in the Barry sphere (I don’t tend to watch much jazz edu content on YT) and glad they mention this aspect. I’ve watched enough to know they’re very good. it bears repeating.

It’s easy to lie to oneself in the practice room.

Oh yeah I think I missed the context. Sorry. Can be frustrating when you are trying to get something across.

But there you go, it’s an online forum, what you gonna do?

Btw any competent jazz instructor with ears would tell you m7 chords are not a good choice for tonic chords in straightahead jazz but that’s kind of a separate issue to the 6th chord thing.

I would recommend this from my own experience. But everyone’s different of course.

While I am at interviews, here are a few with people that have to do with BH somehow:

Charles McPherson was one of his earliest students:

Pianist Howard Rees is the producer of the BH Workshop DVDs and publisher of Alan Kingstone’s BH guitar book

Brian De Lima wrote his dissertation on BH:

Pianist Isaak Raz has a YT channel on Barry Harris as well and went to the NYC workshops whenever possible.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

well I suppose Wes did, so ymmv

i got told off for it though and good thing too haha

i suppose a better way to say it is that a good teacher will help you become more aware of the specifics
    looking at bebop and hardbop from the 50s onward it should become clear that the nat6 in minor tonics is a welcome but not exclusive or mandatory color. it#s not a huge enough deal to be dogmatic about imo. even PB mixes his minors just like anybody else who plays in that idiom. check out his solo on jeannine.

and indeed wes who made an early career copying mister min6 chord himself.

i a bit tired of hearing guys play a G13 as the last chord on alone together, and feeling so clever and smug about it. meh.

am i turning into reg??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    looking at bebop and hardbop from the 50s onward it should become clear that the nat6 in minor tonics is a welcome but not exclusive or mandatory color. it#s not a huge enough deal to be dogmatic about imo. even PB mixes his minors just like anybody else who plays in that idiom. check out his solo on jeannine.

i a bit tired of hearing guys play a G13 as the last chord on alone together, and feeling so clever and smug about it. meh.

am i turning into reg??
    Who is PB?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Who is PB?
    Peter Bernstein, probably.

User Info Menu

am i turning into reg??
    you wrote several sentences that finish with a period, so I’d say you are safe for now ;-)

I am a fan of the smug IV13 end chord and I’m not ashamed about it haha. Anyway, blame the bass player, I was just playing a Dm6/9 bro ;-)

No what you say is generally what I’ve found in my own listening. I do think there’s a slight confusion regarding minor that is a product of the history, but that’s another topic really.

Actually it was PB who flagged it when I did it and it’s a common theme in his teaching I think… I think his aim is to sensitise the students to the specifics of the harmony rather than law down the law. A lot of these things are sensitive to the song in question. It’s easy to generalise too much.

Many bop and post-bop players simply mix minors in lines - melodic, harmonic, blues, natural. Wes is a case in point. Other players can be more specific. Thinking about blue Mitchell on Nica’s dream here, always melodic minor, as opposed to the Junior Cook who mixes it up freely and includes blues and natural minor ideas and on a tune which explicitly states the min(maj7) sound in the comping chords. Wes does the same when he plays the tune.

It’s almost like the mixer uppers like Wes and Junior are more interested in playing good melodic lines than harmonically correct patterns and that not every note in a melody has to have harmonic implications or agree with the underlying chords exactly. But of course this is mad ;-)

But even in unexpected places you can still find exceptions to the m6 tonic chord rule in linear harmony. IIRC Django plays a prominent b7 on Douce Ambience for instance.

As with all trite rules about music history, actual music stubbornly refuses to conform to stereotype. Which is not to say these guidelines can’t be useful sometimes.

However this is probably much more a stylistic factor in comping chords. It takes me right out of the style to hear a m7 tonic chord in a swing or old school bop gig. Otoh m6 sounds wrong for a Coltrane style modal tune imo.

I’ll look it up but someone mentioned a story about Bird preferring plain minor chords in comping because it allowed him more melodic freedom. Maybe you know this one?
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 10-08-2022 at 08:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Peter Bernstein, probably.
    Shame on me I was thinking; “Who could that be? Powell Bud?” LOL

User Info Menu

you wrote several sentences that finish with a period, so I’d say you are safe for now ;-)

I am a fan of the smug IV13 end chord and I’m not ashamed about it haha. Anyway, blame the bass player, I was just playing a Dm6/9 bro ;-)

No what you say is generally what I’ve found in my own listening. I do think there’s a slight confusion regarding minor that is a product of the history, but that’s another topic really.

Actually it was PB who flagged it when I did it and it’s a common theme in his teaching I think… I think his aim is to sensitise the students to the specifics of the harmony rather than law down the law. A lot of these things are sensitive to the song in question. It’s easy to generalise too much.

Many bop players simply mix minors in lines - melodic, harmonic, blues, natural. Wes is a case in point. Other players can be more specific. Thinking about blue Mitchell on Nica’s dream here, always melodic minor, as opposed to the Junior Cook who mixes it up freely and includes blues and natural minor ideas and on a tune which explicitly states the min(maj7) sound in the comping chords. Wes does the same when he plays the tune.

It’s almost like the mixer uppers like Wes and Junior are more interested in playing good melodic lines than harmonically correct patterns and that not every note in a melody has to have harmonic implications or agree with the underlying chords exactly. But of course this is mad ;-)

And I don’t know whether im seeing Jesus in my cornflakes or not, but in general I would say that pre c1960 where the lines don’t simply rely on the minor triad (which is way more common than you’d think from jazz manuals) they tend to lean on the 6, and leaning on the b7 is more popular after c1960. Kind of what Pete says.

But even in unexpected places you can still find exceptions all the time. IIRC Django plays a prominent b7 on Douce Ambience for instance.

As with all trite rules about music history, actual music stubbornly refuses to conform to stereotype. Which is not to say these guidelines can’t be useful sometimes.

However this is probably more a factor in comping chords. It takes me right out of the style to hear a m7 tonic chord in a swing or old school bop gig. Otoh m6 sounds wrong for a Coltrane style modal tune imo.

I’ll look it up but someone mentioned a story about Bird preferring plain minor chords in comping because it allowed him more melodic freedom. Maybe you know this one?
    i knew it was peter, that's why i brought it up. in a way pete went backwards in jazz history from being a fusion guy as a teen, to grant and wes with the m7 chords, to monk with his m6 chords.

blue mitchell was another "ear" player, maybe that's the reason he stuck to the obvious MMness of nica's dream.

i too think the liberal mix and match approach in minor is a thing of the generation after BH. barry was heavy into classical voice-leading which is why he didnt really dig the parallel movments that wes employed. to BH it probably sounded like moving power chords. sonny stitt from the same generation as barry used the min6/dim movements on so what with miles, it sounds totally out of place and miles hated it. so it goes both ways.

dunno about bird preferring plain minor chords.

User Info Menu

i knew it was peter, that's why i brought it up. in a way pete went backwards in jazz history from being a fusion guy as a teen, to grant and wes with the m7 chords, to monk with his m6 chords.
    Ah ffs, I’m so boring. At least I didn’t name drop this time. It’s possible I may one day go for another guitar lesson and then bore everyone about that too.

Look, I don’t get out much ok?

i actually feel I’ve gone this way too, in the past, which might be why I enjoy dwelling on the differences and stylistic aspects of different eras.

blue mitchell was another "ear" player, maybe that's the reason he stuck to the obvious MMness of nica's dream.
    IMPOSSIBLE!!!! He must have read a chord scale manual!!! You are obviously concocting this factoid to further your deep state agenda.

Sorry, *ahem* - that’s jolly interesting

i too think the liberal mix and match approach in minor is a thing of the generation after BH. barry was heavy into classical voice-leading which is why he didnt really dig the parallel movments that wes employed. to BH it probably sounded like moving power chords. sonny stitt from the same generation as barry used the min6/dim movements on so what with miles, it sounds totally out of place and miles hated it. so it goes both ways.
    I think a few of the swing era players mixed it up as well. Django comes to mind. Otoh swing era players were a pretty diverse bunch. It’s easier to generalise about bop players as they all came through the Charlie Parker evolutionary bottleneck

Yeah, interesting about Barry, I don’t feel I know enough to comment, but it’s perhaps worth bearing in mind Barry does not equate with all of bebop, rather a dialect of it.

yeah, I couldn’t track that down. One guy mentioned the pianist Dick Twardzik who stated in his biography that Parker didn’t like any jazzy extensions in comping voicings, which might not be quite the same thing, but that’s like one guy. Don’t know if there’s more evidence. I do sometimes hear piano players comp plain triads.

User Info Menu

Regarding parallel movements I discovered something that Barry apparently teached in this video

(and later recognized it in Monk’s playing in a documentary I watched.)

It is moving into the III–7 chord (= V6 a.k.a. “sixth on the fifth”) chromatically from the II–7 via bIII–7 over a written I chord.

So it seems Barry was not against parallel movements.

Anyway those Polish videos show that he had many more tricks up his sleeve for harmony than just sixth (resp. seventh) diminished, e.g. those walk-ups of diatonic seventh chords in major that can e.g. be used to modulate to a major key a minor third above (that’s in the Lincoln Center videos as well but Tomasz Bialowolski really breaks in down in a very understandable way.) The latter is easily adaptable to shell chords (1–3–7 resp. 1–7–3) on guitar. If I now only had a tune that modulates up a minor third in the bridge .

User Info Menu

Hey rithett... it's pretty obvious that bophead can't really cover jazz and his somewhat limited understanding and probable playing skills of jazz are what they are.... Which is not bad or good, it's his personal business.... but don't take lessons from amateurs who can cover what they are talking about...

All min. tunes are either Nat. Min., Harmonic min. or melodic min. or versions of.

With Black Orpheus it's standard Natural Minor and the use of Har. Min. to get the The E7b9 chord, the V7b9 or Dominant chord function back to the Tonic Amin. Standard Tonic, subdominant and dominant harmonic functions.... standard or traditional Harmony.

Soloing ... should follow the same harmonic motion. You need to be able to cover this standard basic vanilla approach long before you start to try and get into BH concepts. BH did. LOL

Generally the next step would be embellishment approach which generally ends with the use of #9 on the E7b9 chord and rest of the notes from A Har. Min. A B C D E F G G# A.

Then you would become aware of how to use Melodic min. Which does also take some work. (the djg reference to me,LOL). You could do much worse.

But you need to be able to cover the vanilla approaches first... I mean play the coda what do you get.

BH isn't for beginners or players who can't already play.... I mean if you have trouble playing standards or newer jazz tunes... or any tune in a Jazz Style, your not ready to try and play in BH style.

Another note..... Min7th chords are great choice for playing... they have standard harmonic organization, just like Min 6th chords. I mean when you actually become a better jazz player.... you play all the chords and generally they are used in CHORD PATTERNS ..... Typically you'll use most chords in just one tune. It's very common to use
    20 to 30 chords playing through one tune with just a few soloist.

Take a Bop tune, which seems to be the main focus of many.... what do you play. Same chords cover and over.

User Info Menu

The most important lesson I ever got from my guitar teacher (who was world class, a master jazz and classical player, got to meet Oscar Ghiglia a couple times with him, one time had my guitar lessons interrupted by a phone call from Johnny Smith; Benson wanted to study with him; Diorio too)—far away the most important lesson:

A great teacher imparts in the student the desire to a lifetime of learning; where the student can become their own teacher by knowing what they need to improve, organizing resources accordingly towards that learning, being efficient and diligent and patient with the process, building on simple things with an eye for the big picture, seeing how it all fits in.

Furthermore: just because we intellectually understand something doesn’t mean we know it; we only know it by doing it; we have to do it a million times, correctly, though constant repetition, over and over again.

My two cents: half the problems people have with tunes is they don’t know the workspace. I am glad I came back to this thread, because, having switched to an 8 string Brahams guitar and 8 string archtop, I because painfully aware of the terrible gaps in the workspace. Bruce Foreman once called large parts of the fingerboard “no man’s land” for many players.

I am now shedding the shit out of Drop 2-drop 3-Drop 2 and 4 on the 8 string guitar. It’s not easy. I went to see Peter Bernstein’s gig in Santa Cruz recently, and showed him my 8 string guitar and he was impressed, but said, “where the hell is the D string??”

I am resigned for the immediate period working the crap out this, because it will be worth it. I thought about about the problem systematically, and came to the conclusion I really need to learn the extent to which this 8 string guitar really is an improvement over the 6 string guitar. But, of course, understanding this is NOT knowing it.

Additional string sets available on the 8 string guitar, not possible on the 6 string guitar, for playing common chord forms/voicings

1. DROP 2: can play 4 different string sets, not just 3. So each of these forms can be played in 2 octaves.

2. Drop 3: can be played on 3 different string sets, not just 2. Also, the form that begins on the Low E string can now be played an octave up, beginning on the D string.

3. Drop 2 and 4: can be played on the 3 different string sets, not just 2. Also the form that begins that on low E string can be played an octave up, beginning on the D string.

1536 barre
    6315 barre

B. 8 string using strings 8721: Wider VOICINGS unique to the 8 string guitar

1653 (barre)
    361 x
    531x
    53x6

Dim chord (repeating pattern)
    7x#52 (goes up a minor 3rd)
    2x74
    4x2#5
    #5x47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I don’t know if this helps, but here Chris P. talks about using minor 6 lines on tonic minor.

Thanks @grahambop. That was exactly the missing piece. Seeing Chris P. go through all the practice exercises and "get out of jail" rules and applying them to the min6-dim scale (what I was calling all six/no seven from the way Howard Rees DVD's present it as an 7 note scale exercise) reassured me that I hadn't misunderstood.

For all those who included a discussion about whether the min7 can serve as a tonic, thank you. It wasn't what I was asking, but I found it interesting as well. It is funny that my ear is perfectly happy to hear the min7 as a tonic, and moving from im6 to the iim7b5 (or iVm6, if you prefer) isn't as satisfying, or at least it is equally satisfying. But, of course, I'm not as steeped in the Bebop tradition as so many of you are.

Obviously running the scales over a tune isn't improvising. Frankly, improvising melodies isn't something I spend too much time doing. But the method of running the scales as a way of learning the tune, and getting under your fingers the collection of notes you can use, is something I'm beginning to love. Thanks to all of you for helping to introduce me to this technique/pedagogy.

One last question for @Christian Miller: Did I understand you correctly that sometimes in class BH would use the melodic minor instead of the min6-dim to run the scales? Skipping the maj6 and playing the maj7 does make it more musical to my ears, but I know that isn't necessarily the point of running the scales. Still, I'm interested in knowing what BH really taught.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    Thanks @grahambop. That was exactly the missing piece. Seeing Chris P. go through all the practice exercises and "get out of jail" rules and applying them to the min6-dim scale (what I was calling all six/no seven from the way Howard Rees DVD's present it as an 7 note scale exercise) reassured me that I hadn't misunderstood.

For all those who included a discussion about whether the min7 can serve as a tonic, thank you. It wasn't what I was asking, but I found it interesting as well. It is funny that my ear is perfectly happy to hear the min7 as a tonic, and moving from im6 to the iim7b5 (or iVm6, if you prefer) isn't as satisfying, or at least it is equally satisfying. But, of course, I'm not as steeped in the Bebop tradition as so many of you are.

Obviously running the scales over a tune isn't improvising. Frankly, improvising melodies isn't something I spend too much time doing. But the method of running the scales as a way of learning the tune, and getting under your fingers the collection of notes you can use, is something I'm beginning to love. Thanks to all of you for helping to introduce me to this technique/pedagogy.

One last question for @Christian Miller: Did I understand you correctly that sometimes in class BH would use the melodic minor instead of the min6-dim to run the scales? Skipping the maj6 and playing the maj7 does make it more musical to my ears, but I know that isn't necessarily the point of running the scales. Still, I'm interested in knowing what BH really taught.
    BH mentioned the melodic minor scale once in my time in his class. So it’s not off the table, but his default choice afaik was the m6-dim

melodic minor often ends up lookin like m6-dim anyway once you’ve used the added note rules and so on.

User Info Menu

BH mentioned the melodic minor scale once in my time in his class. So it’s not off the table, but his default choice afaik was the m6-dim

melodic minor often ends up lookin like m6-dim anyway once you’ve used the added note rules and so on.
    I had brought that up having heard that MM alternative from his (also London based) student Shan Verma. But I wasn’t sure if that was Shan’s own modification. Thanks, Christian, for the info. More and more bits and pieces fall into place.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    I had brought that up having heard that MM alternative from his (also London based) student Shan Verma. But I wasn’t sure if that was Shan’s own modification. Thanks, Christian, for the info. More and more bits and pieces fall into place.
    I would say check with Alan and maybe Shan and Chris as well, mind. See what they say.

Part of the info comes from Roni Ben Hurs book rather than Barry direct

User Info Menu

Just a thought... many of you BH on or off people might like some of the 70's jean-Pierre Rampal and Claude Bollings.... Suite for flue and jazz piano. I have a copy from mid 70's. Very nice and well played etc...

I remember him doing a casual thing with Oscar Peterson live also... was great.

Anyway probable wrong thread... but in the classical direction.

User Info Menu

So, a Rhythm Changes (I-VI7-ii-7-V7) in Barry’s 6 diminished scale of chords would be:

I6-iiim6-ivm6-ii-6? Right? (Using 6 on the 5 for the dominant 7th chords)

User Info Menu

To give a little back, I’ll give you my interpretation (never been to a live BH event):

The VI7 can be played as a b7dim.
    There is no ii chord. You would play a IV6.
    You can use the dim chord from the tonic’s M6-dim chord scale to lead back from the tonic chord.

Yay! We have:

I6-biidim-IV6-ivdim-I6

Of course there are many ways to skin the cat. I’m just leveraging the concept of using the dim chords to move from the tonic to the subdominant. This is a kind of movement that Alan Kingstone talks a lot about in his BH Harmony book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    To give a little back, I’ll give you my interpretation (never been to a live BH event):

The VI7 can be played as a b7dim.
    There is no ii chord. You would play a IV6.
    You can use the dim chord from the tonic’s M6-dim chord scale to lead back from the tonic chord.

Yay! We have:

I6-biidim-IV6-ivdim-I6

Of course there are many ways to skin the cat. I’m just leveraging the concept of using the dim chords to move from the tonic to the subdominant. This is a kind of movement that Alan Kingstone talks a lot about in his BH Harmony book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, sorry about that. The IV would be IV6, not iv6 (minor 6). For blowing you would ignore the leading ii-7 and play on the V7; but for chords and comping, which the piano players and guitars would do, you can play the ii-7. In the Barry system, a Dm7 is the same as F6 and am Em7 is the same as a G6.

So, it seems you have a couple of options:

• Rhythm Changes (I-iii7-VI7-ii7-V7) using Barry Harris 6 diminished (“6 on the 5” on dominant chords) becomes: I6-V6 -iii-6-IV6-ii-6. OR: I6-V6-V°-IV6-IV°

User Info Menu

Important point Barry brought up once

1) early Parker never plays VI7 on Rhythm Changes
    2) later Bird plays VI7 only in bar 3 and 7, never bar 1.

Check it out. It's true.

So, our basic template becomes

| Bb | F7 | Bb | F7 |
    | Bb7 | Eb7 | Bb | F7 |

And the second version

| Bb | F7 | Bb G7 | F7 |
    | Bb7 | Eb7 | Bb G7 | F7 |

In terms of scale outlines, you run the Bb scale down to the third of G7 in bar 3 and 7

Having a VI7 only in bar 3 transforms a 2 bar repeated turnaround into a 4 bar phrase. It makes it much more elegant, much more bop

User Info Menu

Today I revisited this video from the workshops at the Royal Conservatoire of The Hague which clearly demonstrates that the sounds you can get from the sixth diminished scales through Barry Harris’ concept of “borrowing notes” are rather not “vanilla”.

[Of course you have to first practice the scales of chords “vanilla” to know where the other chord’s notes that you can borrow are located on the keyboard resp. in our case on the fretboard.]

User Info Menu

NOTES From Labyrinth #64 (chromatic movement using the family of 4 minor 6 chords built from the Diminished, demonstrating movement of voices

Barry Harris Concepts: playing with family of moving m6 chords built from the diminished

Key of G, D7, i.e, functioning as the V7.

minor6 on the 5 of D7 = Am6
    6 on th 5 of the tritone - Ebm6
    Other minors: F#6 (built on the leading tone for the key), the leading tone’s minor.
    The iv-minor: Cm6

Dispersion of VOICES:
    A C E F#
    Eb-G-Bb-C
    F#-A-Db-Eb
    C-Eb-G-A

Moving from Am6 6o Ebm6: the R of A moves up a half step and becomes the P5 of Ebm6. The P5 of Am6 moves down a half step and becomes the R of Ebm6. The other two notes stay the same. The 3rd of Am6 moves up a half step and becomes the P5 of F#m6. Move from the 6 of Am6 a half step becomes the P5 of the iv-minor, Cm6.

ETUDE: harmonizing the chromatic scale (D to D) using only these family of minor 6 chords and it’s related diminished, from which they are derived from

D: Diminished
    Be Tritone’s Minor (Eb) or min4 (Cm)
    E: 6 on the 5 (Am)
    F: Dim
    Gb 6 o the 5 (Am)
    G: minor4 (Cm)
    Ab Dim
    A min4 (Cm) or 6 on the 5 (Am)
    Bb Tritone’s minor (Eb)
    B Dim
    C Tritone’s minor (Eb)
    Db F#n: min6 built on the leading tone of the key
    D: Dim

Coleman Hawkins: “I don’t play chords, I play moment”. Chords are weigh stations of movement, always. CHORDS are a weigh staton of Voices moving in time.
    SIMPLE CONCEPTS allow one to MOVE FAST. But you have to PRACTICE It.

So, yeah, GOOD STUFF!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    […]

Moving from Am6 6o Ebm6: the R of A moves up a half step and becomes the P5 of Ebm6. The P5 of Am6 moves down a half step and becomes the R of Ebm6. The other two notes stay the same. The 3rd of Am6 moves up a half step and becomes the P5 of F#m6. Move from the 6 of Am6 a half step becomes the P5 of the iv-minor, Cm6.

[…]
    The nice thing about guitar (and bass guitar) and keyboards is that you can see those things. I think there is a reason why many earlier guitarists (e.g. Freddie Green, Charlie Christian, Wes etc.) angled the top of guitar towards them: they could look at the fretboard.

Recently I have regularly those eureka moments when I start to really visualize those voice-leadings. (Recent favorite example: root and fifths of V7 half-step up –> tritone’s minor a.k.a. bVIm6 –> all notes except 6th of tritone’s minor half-step up / 6th whole step up: VIm7 = inversion of I6.)

User Info Menu

Is it me, or the easiest way to harmonize a melody is that portion of the melody that is continuous, conjunctive, whole steps or whole steps, no skips or leaps, and play the skips unharmonized, outside the 6 dim system?

You can analyze a tune that way, and break it down by 6/dim subs, and look for the continuous notes, without skips, under the 6/dim chords?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Is it me, or the easiest way to harmonize a melody is that portion of the melody that is continuous, conjunctive, whole steps or whole steps, no skips or leaps, and play the skips unharmonized, outside the 6 dim system?

You can analyze a tune that way, and break it down by 6/dim subs, and look for the continuous notes, without skips, under the 6/dim chords?
    Shan Verma’s YT channel Jazzskills has a few videos on harmonizing tunes à la Barry. You could do skips as inversions but that is not always so easy on guitar w/ maximum four fingers (five if you are able to use the thumb) vs. ten fingers on piano.