Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher View Post
    There seriously needs to be a study group for BH improv basics. Use that guitarist's videos as a template for getting started. Link every video posted in the thread back to his original, to support his channel etc.

There've been philosophical objections raised to this in the past, which I believe are somewhat over blown. I mean it needs to be understood that no one's posting BH's actual written material. Simply applying concepts to progressions which aren't copyrighted etc. Harris himself doesn't come across to me as a guy wanting to keep everything under wraps in secret.

Folks who are having trouble getting started with Harris here are mostly probably hitting walls with just applying it to guitar specifically. I would envision Christian and others answering a lot of that and driving traffic to their own YouTube channels etc.

The forum needs some juice right now anyway, and this is a high interest-level area.
    make it so!
    White belt
    My Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    make it so!
    It's not going to be me during volleyball season for sure . Already overbooked with raney and day jobs. Needs to be someone really interested in this specifically anyway. People simply want some kind of arbitrary deadline and schedule. I think you start with basic like Chris has outlined in those videos over blues rc etc. then, once you get to certain point, you branch off into tune- specific , like oz is talking about.

tamir, ozmond? i have an inferiority complex
    White belt
    My Youtube

I'd say something like this:

"The Things I Learned from Barry Harris study group"

This study group is for fun and basic accountability in working on the ideas presented in Chris ??'s videos, the first which is posted here:

To start things off, post your version of the same in this (not yet created) thread. Our deadline for this first one is the 29th. Of course, feel free to post after as well. Discuss questions and philosophy of fingering approach etc etc.

The

Anyway, cut, paste, edit, rip apart...

to feel it out, whos interested? id participate and maybe sort of get it going. in my opinion id do a whole month per video since we all are working on multiple things, plus we need to be learning all positions and at tempos that are challenging
    White belt
    My Youtube

also multiple ways in each single position due to which octave of scale we select
    White belt
    My Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Hey if it helps, a while back I found this interesting thesis/paper by a pianist Vera Marijt, might be of interest. Somehow I managed to get the pdf of the paper from this menu. Don’t know how I did it, as it does not work on the iPad. So suspect you have to use a PC / mouse to get it from the menu options.

Anyway she gives examples of how she applies Barry’s devices etc.
    Well I can’t make any sense of that website any more, so here’s the PDF anyway. First part is about chords, but later and at the end there are example lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It’s possible I’ve already done videos on this but I cannot remember....

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    to feel it out, whos interested? id participate and maybe sort of get it going. in my opinion id do a whole month per video since we all are working on multiple things, plus we need to be learning all positions and at tempos that are challenging
    Im interested and will be following (learning this on mandolin, Im here as very few mando players play bebop).
    Pete Martin - just a mandolin guy but loves jazz guitar
    www.PetimarPress.com
    Www.Jazz-Mandolin.com

just ordered the vocal workshop dvd, can’t wait!
    White belt
    My Youtube

Practicing the Half-Step Rules in Time?

Quick question for those who have been working with this stuff:

How do you practice the Half-Step Rules in time? I mean, if you have a backing track or something measuring out a bar or two and you practice tonic to tonic with one half step, how do you get that in one bar or two?

For example, starting from the second with no half steps I have nine notes (if I go to the tonic as in the chart in Page 8 of the Howard Rees DVD booklet). Now I try with two half-steps from the second so I have eleven. Now from the third I have eleven with one half step, but 13 with three...

In short, I have an odd number of eighth notes increasing each time until I am up to seventeen notes starting from the b7. That's two bars plus one eighth note. How do I practice that in a musical context?

What I want to do is have a backing track playing a vamp of, for eg, two bars of C7 and two bars of F7. I can practice one rule over C7 in time and the same over F7. Then maybe starting from a different note, etc. But I'm thrown as to how to do this rhythmically over actual music.

Hey Rhett, at one point in the Reese book he has you start playing them down to the 3rd...I forget at which point he starts doing that
    White belt
    My Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett View Post
    Quick question for those who have been working with this stuff:

How do you practice the Half-Step Rules in time? I mean, if you have a backing track or something measuring out a bar or two and you practice tonic to tonic with one half step, how do you get that in one bar or two?

For example, starting from the second with no half steps I have nine notes (if I go to the tonic as in the chart in Page 8 of the Howard Rees DVD booklet). Now I try with two half-steps from the second so I have eleven. Now from the third I have eleven with one half step, but 13 with three...

In short, I have an odd number of eighth notes increasing each time until I am up to seventeen notes starting from the b7. That's two bars plus one eighth note. How do I practice that in a musical context?

What I want to do is have a backing track playing a vamp of, for eg, two bars of C7 and two bars of F7. I can practice one rule over C7 in time and the same over F7. Then maybe starting from a different note, etc. But I'm thrown as to how to do this rhythmically over actual music.
    This is not a question that has ever occurred to me. Just take a little break and do the next one. Stick a metronome on if you want to be sure you are in time.

Personally, and I understand this might make me a BAD PERSON, but I just practice the scale for one bar, so

C B Bb A G F E D | C - break for the rest of the bar
    D C Bb A G F E D | C - break for the rest of the bar
    E C D B Bb A G F | E - break
    F E C D Bb A G F | E - break

And so on

Please don't use a backing track. You don't need it. The changes are in the line.

C7 --> F7 - one bar each, say, this is fun. Apply the appropriate rule from the start of the bar.

C B Bb A G F E D | C Bb A G F E Eb D | C
    E C D B Bb A G F | Eb D C Bb A G F E | Eb
    G F E D C B Bb A | G F Eb D C Bb A G | F

And so on....

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed