The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 167

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I've done the Sheryl Bayley 50 bebop licks you must know.
    You know Sheryl (BailEY, BTW) is my friend and neighbor, a very sweet gal and hell of a guitar player, but I'm not sure I like that title so much. It sort of sounds like 'in so-and-so steps you will master such-and-such'. No such animal.Probably she didn't quite mean it that way.

Knowing Sheryl and the quality of her playing and teaching I know the content is worthwhile, but that title? I just don't know...
    Last edited by fasstrack; 10-02-2016 at 04:10 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I agree. Bop makes a lot more sense if you have checked out a bit of swing, in all sorts of ways.
    Listen to early Dizzy, like at Minton's. If he ain't playing Roy, my name isn't....

Mud? (;

User Info Menu

I don't want to hijack this into a "Barry Harris 5-4-3-2" thread, but I have a quick question:

I found this YT of Barry Harris teaching his 5-4-3-2 phrases. I admit I'm a little confused. Except in the final example where he has the students string all three phrases together, he appears to always start the phrase on the "G" or 5. Am I hearing that wrong?

For example, my ears are telling me that 4 phrase is G-F-D-Eb-E. Likewise 3 seems to be G-F-E-Bb-B-D. But I understood from earlier posts that the 5 phrase was used when you hit the 5 of the chord/scale you were playing, the 4 on the 4th, etc.

Can anyone help me sort this out?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    Eh?

Simple English, sil vous plais, kind sir...
    In the simple English of guitarist Sid Jacobs, "scale step from above, chromatic from below ... Mozart or Joe Pass? "

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Classic enclosure: targeting the third by scale step from above, double chromatic from below . That kind of stuff works on any Chord tone. I.e., bebop 101
    Yes but sometimes i tend to abuse of it , i think it's powerful when used moderately !

User Info Menu

Classic enclosure: targeting the third by scale step from above, double chromatic from below . That kind of stuff works on any Chord tone. I.e., bebop 101
    Eh?

Simple English, sil vous plais, kind sir...
    I think he means if you want to end your idea on the 3rd then play in C major
    F (next note in scale above target note "scale step from above", 4)
    D (2 chromatic or half steps below target "double chromatic from below", 2)
    Eb( 1 chromatic or half step below target, b3)
    E (the target note, 3)

And if I read correctly from another post, you may not want to play the first note (the 4th note based on the chord) on a downbeat in bebop phrasing. I hope I am getting this right.

User Info Menu

You know Sheryl (BailEY, BTW) is my friend and neighbor, a very sweet gal and hell of a guitar player, but I'm not sure I like that title so much. It sort of sounds like 'in so-and-so steps you will master such-and-such. No such animal.Probably she didn't quite mean it that way.

Knowing Sheryl and the quality of her playing and teaching I know the content is worthwhile, but that title? I just don't know...
    No knock on Sheryl Bailey. The title is a part of a series from Truefire. I'm sure that is not her doing (or the doing of many of the artist on Truefire).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Marshall
    I think he means if you want to end your idea on the 3rd then play in C major
    F (next note in scale above target note "scale step from above", 4)
    D (2 chromatic or half steps below target "double chromatic from below", 2)
    Eb( 1 chromatic or half step below target, b3)
    E (the target note, 3)

And if I read correctly from another post, you may not want to play the first note (the 4th note based on the chord) on a downbeat in bebop phrasing. I hope I am getting this right.
    Wow. This is Greek to me, and way too taxing for my addled brain.

I appreciate the time and effort, though. Thank you.

I just cannot think in such a complicated fashion and admit I'm not all that analytical about playing. Composing, maybe, when processing new concepts. Even then I try to internalize the essence, not the nomenclature. Everyone has different learning styles.

All I know how to do playing is to follow my melodic instincts and try to hear the time the bass player and/or drummer is laying down. Seems to work...

User Info Menu

You know Sheryl (BailEY, BTW) is my friend and neighbor, a very sweet gal and hell of a guitar player, but I'm not sure I like that title so much. It sort of sounds like 'in so-and-so steps you will master such-and-such'. No such animal.Probably she didn't quite mean it that way.

It's a True-Fire Course and there a lot of them titled that way: 50 Bebop / Jazz / Hard Bop / Jump Blues / Western Swing (and so on) Licks You MUST Know. All genre have idiomatic licks. Sheryl's course is a good place to learn a lot of fine bebop licks (and how those licks work).

User Info Menu

In the simple English of guitarist Sid Jacobs, "scale step from above, chromatic from below ... Mozart or Joe Pass? "

Indeed. It's amazing how many licks Wolfgang stole from Joe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    No knock on Sheryl Bailey. The title is a part of a series from Truefire. I'm sure that is not her doing (or the doing of many of the artist on Truefire).
    Glad to hear. She would never be that corny or self-congratulatory...
    Last edited by fasstrack; 10-02-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Just purchased pasquale's master class part 2 , very interessting how he derives bebopish devices just from diatonic triads !
    but i was expecting him to talk about this whole deal of 54321 !
    where can i learn more about this guys , apart from the youtube random barry harris vids ?

User Info Menu

Indeed. It's amazing how many licks Wolfgang stole from Joe.
    Donald Byrd used to come to the Local 802 Jazz Foundation jam session in the 90s.

He said one time out of the blue

"Miles Davis heard Sweets (Edison) play with a mute one night, and started doing it after that.

Thief'...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mooncef
    Just purchased pasquale's master class part 2 , very interessting how he derives bebopish devices just from diatonic triads !
    but i was expecting him to talk about this whole deal of 54321 !
    where can i learn more about this guys , apart from the youtube random barry harris vids ?
    Jazz School Online - Barry Harris Workshop Video

Howard Rees has published three DVD/Workbook sets of Barry Harris workshops. A lifetime of study.

Full disclosure, Howard is my publisher.

User Info Menu

The Barry Harris DVD/workbook sets are worth their weight in gold. It's all there.

bebop language study group ?-bh_workshop_video_1-jpg bebop language study group ?-bh_workshop_video_2-jpg

Got to attend one of Barry's classes in NYC two weeks ago and got him to sign my copy. Total fanboy moment.

bebop language study group ?-14370174_10153719056881428_6473137469520034070_n-jpg

bebop language study group ?-14322460_10153719687971428_5509428658713147446_n-jpg

Roni Ben-hur is a Harris guy as well. His book, "Talk Jazz Guitar" is based on Harris improv material https://www.amazon.com/Mel-Talk-Jazz.../dp/0974494321

Is anyone familiar with it and know how it lines up with other Harris material?
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 10-03-2016 at 06:38 AM.

User Info Menu

It's nice that Barry is getting the appreciation he deserves in the UK. People seem to be getting hip to his ideas.

I remember 10 years ago there were four or five people in his class when he came over.

I used to mention BH stuff and people had no idea who he is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Roni Ben-hur is a Harris guy as well. His book talk jazz guitar is based on Harris improv material https://www.amazon.com/Mel-Talk-Jazz.../dp/0974494321

Is anyone familiar with it and know how it lines up with other Harris material?
    Roni's book is excellent and one of the few that I work with regularly. It's based on Barry's teachings and includes a number of topics that you'll encounter in BH's materials - the rules for adding half-steps to scales, enclosures (surrounding notes), the sixth diminished scales in single-note form etc.

Roni has a couple of instructional videos available at Jazz Guitar Classes | Mike's Master Classes entitled 'Anatomy of a Tune', in which he shows you how to analyse the structure of a tune a la Barry, play the scales for the tune and begin to turn that knowledge into phrases and a solo.
    'How High the Moon' - Anatomy of a Tune - Be-bop Style | Lesson by Roni Ben-Hur | Mike's Master Classes
    'Confirmation' - Confirmation | Lesson by Roni Ben-Hur | Mike's Master Classes

The other videos by Roni on that site are extracted from his 'Chordability' DVD - it works out a LOT cheaper to just buy the DVD.
    Last edited by David B; 10-03-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Roni's book is excellent and one of the few that I work with regularly. It's based on Barry's teachings and includes a number of topics that you'll encounter in BH's materials - the rules for adding half-steps to scales, enclosures (surrounding notes), the sixth diminished scales in single-note form etc.

Roni has a couple of instructional videos available at Jazz Guitar Classes | Mike's Master Classes entitled 'Anatomy of a Tune', in which he shows you how to analyse the structure of a tune a la Barry, play the scales for the tune and begin to turn that knowledge into phrases and a solo.
    'How High the Moon' - Anatomy of a Tune - Be-bop Style | Lesson by Roni Ben-Hur | Mike's Master Classes
    'Confirmation' - Confirmation | Lesson by Roni Ben-Hur | Mike's Master Classes

The other videos by Roni on that site are extracted from his 'Chordability' DVD - it works out a LOT cheaper to just buy the DVD.
    Thanks, David.

User Info Menu

I've been to a bunch of Barry Harris workshops, they are always great.

If you're expecting to go to one and having a whole system illuminated and spelled out for you, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

You show up, tune up, and buckle in... he goes over whatever he feels like that day, and you have to pick it up mostly by ear and deciphering his explanations.

User Info Menu

So, I had this idea to see if I could pull phrases similar to the 5-4-3-2 that can be jumbled and re-worked in the same way. I looked at a random solo in the Charlie Parker Omnibook (the first one) and was able to find little 2 beat or so phrases that start on each degree of the scale. I can't wait to try it out! Seems like it could lead to some cool stuff.

User Info Menu

It's nice that Barry is getting the appreciation he deserves in the UK. People seem to be getting hip to his ideas.
    Worldwide, actually.

Barry def has his 'ways'---I'll leave it like that---but is a very great man (I mean aside from music). No one has done for jazz musicians what he has in NY. I know this from personal experience going back at least to 1982.

I consider him like a 2nd father...

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    The Barry Harris DVD/workbook sets are worth their weight in gold. It's all there.

bebop language study group ?-bh_workshop_video_1-jpg bebop language study group ?-bh_workshop_video_2-jpg

Got to attend one of Barry's classes in NYC two weeks ago and got him to sign my copy. Total fanboy moment.

bebop language study group ?-14370174_10153719056881428_6473137469520034070_n-jpg

bebop language study group ?-14322460_10153719687971428_5509428658713147446_n-jpg
    I'm very tempted but it's a pricy investment for now :/ can you convince me how much it's realy worth it ?

User Info Menu

I'm very tempted but it's a pricy investment for now :/ can you convince me how much it's realy worth it ?
    Do it.

User Info Menu

They're worth it.

Sample 1:

The Barry Harris Workshop Video ? Howard Rees' Jazz Workshops

Sample 2:

The Barry Harris Workshop Video Part 2 ? Howard Rees' Jazz Workshops