The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 167

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    gotta make time my friend! most of my practice these days is one handed while mowing the lawn, showering, driving, brushing my teeth etc
    I was told that one handed practice would make me go blind.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

bebop language study group ?-example-jpg

So, if I understood correctly, that's a "5" phrase on the Cmaj?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grekko
    bebop language study group ?-example-jpg

So, if I understood correctly, that's a "5" phrase on the Cmaj?

Yep.

(To be clear, bar 2 is the FIVE PHRASE)
    Last edited by A. Kingstone; 09-29-2016 at 04:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks!

The Barry Harris videos on YT are really helpful. We should have a thread about them.
    Last edited by grekko; 09-29-2016 at 04:29 PM.

User Info Menu

mark or anyone else still interested in a video, or is it beating a dead horse at this point? I think i'll have a little time this weekend

User Info Menu

Would someone define what 5 ,4 etc are in words? I can hear how the 'licks' work, but the numbers have no meaning to me.

m alexander

User Info Menu

mark or anyone else still interested in a video, or is it beating a dead horse at this point? I think i'll have a little time this weekend
    Yes, I remain interested. I'm sure others do as well. We want more Joe, Joe! ;o)

User Info Menu

joe2758, definitely interested!

User Info Menu

right on guys. it makes me glad to share stuff I wish I knew about earlier
    Last edited by joe2758; 10-01-2016 at 02:06 PM.

User Info Menu

right on guys. it makea me glad to share stuff I wish I knew about earlier
    Thanks, Joe.
    That "four" phrase appears in "Do Nothin' Til You Hear From Me." (I happen to be learning that tune.)

User Info Menu

cool, mark! you're absolutely right. also drives home my point of starting it on the up-beat

right on guys. it makes me glad to share stuff I wish I knew about earlier
    That's Awesome bro , thanks a lot the 4 phrase i do that all the time !
    So what's the whole point of this system ! some kinda framework to generate unique phrases ?
    Also where can i study barry harris concepts , is there a book ? or video to buy ?
    Last edited by mooncef; 10-01-2016 at 08:13 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd say these phrases are just a very tiny piece of a larger system. There are two separate sets of 4 dvds each that come with books. they are pricey at $100 for each set... but i have gotten my money's worth no doubt. If you sign up for a month at jazzschoolonline.com, you get videos of pianist howard reese going over a huge chunk of the improvisation system, and videos of our very own Alan Kingstone going over most of the material in his Barry Harris Harmonic Method for Guitar book. I think it's $50 for a month, but if you take good notes you'll have enough material to work on for years.

User Info Menu

I think you need to go back further to what set the table for bebop.

Charlie Christian, Pres and Roy Eldridge are easier to process because they used pretty simple, often riff-based figures and very melodic solo materials based on changes that are easier to hear.

In the same way Hawk set the table for Sonny Rollins and Trane Lester did it for Bird. His melodic ideas defied the chords and 'rubbed against' them. He could play a major 7th on the 5th bar of a blues and you bought it.

The beautiful thing about these earlier masters is they are so much easier to 'get'. You can analyze their solos w/o silly and cumbersome $5 words like 'mixolydian', etc. Pres let his ear, melodic sense and swing propulsion guide him. Take off some of HIS shit. You won't regret it.

That's my advice: you have to go further back to move ahead. Always go to the source...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    I think you need to go back further to what set the table for bebop.

Charlie Christian, Pres and Roy Eldridge are easier to process because they used pretty simple, often riff-based figures and very melodic solo materials based on changes that are easier to hear.

In the same way Hawk set the table for Sonny Rollins and Trane Lester did it for Bird. His melodic ideas defied the chords and 'rubbed against' them. He could play a major 7th on the 5th bar of a blues and you bought it.

The beautiful thing about these earlier masters is they are so much easier to 'get'. You can analyze their solos w/o silly and cumbersome $5 words like 'mixolydian', etc. Pres let his ear, melodic sense and swing propulsion guide him. Take off some of HIS shit. You won't regret it.

That's my advice: you have to go further back to move ahead. Always go to the source...
    I agree. Bop makes a lot more sense if you have checked out a bit of swing, in all sorts of ways.

IMO every jazz musician should learn Prez's Lady be Good - even if only to sing it all the way through. It's the classic solo to learn, right to this day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I agree. Bop makes a lot more sense if you have checked out a bit of swing, in all sorts of ways.

IMO every jazz musician should learn Prez's Lady be Good - even if only to sing it all the way through. It's the classic solo to learn, right to this day.
    Bird used to warm up playing that, and other Lester solos, so...

User Info Menu

Here's our very own Jordan doing it!

Ok gonna transcribe this solo today =)

I'd say these phrases are just a very tiny piece of a larger system. There are two separate sets of 4 dvds each that come with books. they are pricey at $100 for each set... but i have gotten my money's worth no doubt. If you sign up for a month at jazzschoolonline.com, you get videos of pianist howard reese going over a huge chunk of the improvisation system, and videos of our very own Alan Kingstone going over most of the material in his Barry Harris Harmonic Method for Guitar book. I think it's $50 for a month, but if you take good notes you'll have enough material to work on for years.
    Man i got to get my hands on those workshops ! tell me is pasquale grasso new lesson treating this system ?

User Info Menu

i think i have my next project, thanks guys!

User Info Menu

yeah almost all of what pasquale grasso teaches in the video lessons is barry harris stuff; it's what first got me into it a few months ago

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Here's our very own Jordan doing it!

Brother Jordan is an extraordinary talent and thinker, so it doesn't surprise me at all he's done this HW.

And dig those facial expressions! If that ain't love...

Jordan, get better quick. We all want to hear what's on your capacious mind and in your soul...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mooncef
    That's Awesome bro , thanks a lot the 4 phrase i do that all the time !
    ?
    Classic enclosure: targeting the third by scale step from above, double chromatic from below . That kind of stuff works on any Chord tone. I.e., bebop 101

User Info Menu

Thanks for the Barry Harris 5-4-3-2! I don't know where that came from (I have Alan Kingston book and saw no mention of it in there), but those five little phrases are pure magic.

I'm new to jazz, but I am an insomniac with some time to kill. I've done the Sheryl Bayley 50 bebop licks you must know, Fareed Haque's Bebob Survival Guide, Alan's Harmonic Method, Ed Byrne's Linear Jazz, etc. They all talk about chromatic enclosures and approach notes to target tones, but it never has made much musical sense. In a vacuum it doesn't sound like anything I want to play or anyone wants to hear.

A quick YT of Barry teaching his four licks and suddenly it all sounds very musical and, for lack of a better word, "jazzy". I can hear him play it and sing it and I suddenly understand how its used.

So, thank you JGF community. I plan on shedding this for a while!

User Info Menu

Hi, I am a complete beginner bit this thread is something of a revelation for me. I want to have a go at Lady be Good. Does anyone have a link to the tab for it, many thanks, Simon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Classic enclosure: targeting the third by scale step from above, double chromatic from below . That kind of stuff works on any Chord tone. I.e., bebop 101
    Eh?

Simple English, sil vous plais, kind sir...