The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 167
    There was no mention to bud powell and charlie parker so far whilist they are the founders of the Bebop language according to a lot of knowledgeble guys !
    regarding those two , do you think their "heads" encapsulate the essence of the bebop language ? some recommand studying all bird's heads ? what do you think ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mooncef
    There was no mention to bud powell and charlie parker so far whilist they are the founders of the Bebop language according to a lot of knowledgeble guys !
    regarding those two , do you think their "heads" encapsulate the essence of the bebop language ? some recommand studying all bird's heads ? what do you think ?
    Charlie Parker, definitely! There's so much in the heads of his tunes. I keep hearing those little licks from Barry Harris by Parker's music. Bud Powell comes from Parker but I find him a bit different though..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpG...ehpkEjhFsr-FZQ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Here's the complete Barry Harris note sequences , 54321

5: 5 7 1 11 3 (5 as the highest note)
    4: 11 9 #9 3
    3: 3 5 b7 9
    2: 9 b7 7 1
    1: R 7 b7 9 13 5
    If I rewrite this, displacing things into the right octave, is this correct?

5: 12 7 8 11 10
    4: 11 9 #9 10
    2: 9 b7 7 8
    1: 8 7 b7 9 6 5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    If I rewrite this, displacing things into the right octave, is this correct?

5: 12 7 8 11 10
    4: 11 9 #9 10
    2: 9 b7 7 8
    1: 8 7 b7 9 6 5
    I don't think there is a wrong answer, you can displace it octave wise wherever you want. I just go we pre-operative baseline instruction that the top note is always the highest note in each sequence, and everything else falls below. Obviously, feel free to change it as you see fit .

So for the 1 sequence if for example 1 equals C played on the third string 5th fret , The next two notes are just chromatic stepwise movements to B flat, and the D is on the 5th fret, 5th strung. And then the final A and G on the fourth string .

Feel free to change it however you want, I just think it works more elegantly when the baseline understanding is that the 1st note is highest top note in the sequence .

Hope that was clear. The trick is always to take something and make it Your own . It's just a bunch of note Sequences .

User Info Menu

There are some more examples here (although I didn't see the point of the lengthy digression about Turing!)

https://blog.uvm.edu/tgcleary/2015/0...-is-the-bombe/

User Info Menu

I Think it's more important to recognize patterns and it is study licks. This is what Mike logo says. If you studied these 5432 patterns, you will see a hallmark trademark of bebop: filling in the whole steps with chromatic movement .

Eagerly await Ing in the mail forthe two Mike Longo books that I just ordered . Where he teaches you the Dizzy Gillespie Way of creating melodies from rhythms.

No I'm not sure that the 1 pattern actually was codified. In any event, it makes sense and it sounds good. I'll continue to use it .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    There are some more examples here (although I didn't see the point of the lengthy digression about Turing!)

Looks like he's trying to draw a comparison between Parker's genius for musical patters, and Turing's for mathematical patterns. I think he's reaching, but whatevs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Looks like he's trying to draw a comparison between Parker's genius for musical patters, and Turing's for mathematical patterns. I think he's reaching, but whatevs.
    I expect Turing could have designed an amazing machine for generating infinite Charlie Parker licks!

User Info Menu

Maybe Bird went over to Bletchely Park during WW2? Top secret stuff...

I think this has a wealth of bebop devices !

User Info Menu

Am7 … …….D7……………...G

| A C E G | F# Eb C C# | D …… Then perhaps the FIVE PHRASE of Barry's listed above.

or

Am7 … …….D7……………...G

| A B C E | Eb C A A# | B …… Then perhaps the THREE PHRASE of Barry's listed above. (with 7 not b7)
    Last edited by A. Kingstone; 09-28-2016 at 08:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mooncef
    I think this has a wealth of bebop devices !

Happy Birthday Bud.

(sorry I'm a day late)

User Info Menu

I was able to steal a second to try out that "1" phrase while changing my son's diaper, and it does sound good. In terms of octave placement I was doing:

8,7,b7,9,13,12....I don't think I've ever said "12" for a scale degree in my life haha

One thing I found interesting is that it ends on the 5th on an upbeat, so running it into some of the other phrases requires a chromatic note or rhythmic variation. Which is good for variety, creativity, and problem solving anyway

Edit to add: pay close attention to A.Kingstone. he doesn't post a lot, but when he does it's worth noting!
    Last edited by joe2758; 09-29-2016 at 08:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

Thanks for that, Graham. Interesting stuff.

User Info Menu

I Think it's more important to recognize patterns and it is study licks.
    I'm reading this as "I think it is more important to recognize patterns than it is to study licks." Right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    One thing I found interesting is that it ends on the 5th on an upbeat, so running it into some of the other phrases requires a chromatic note or rhythmic variation. Which is good for variety, creativity, and problem solving anyway
    !

If you think it is one entire bar of 6/8, there is no need to add a chromatic note or anything else, it fits by it self.

It's just 1-2-3 1-2-3.

Yep. Eagerly awaiting the Mike Longo books

"The question must be asked: whose licks were Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie copying ? A pattern and a lick are not the same thing. A pattern is a grouping of notes into a logical sequence, that once the rhythmic embellishment begins, loses its identity, and becomes several different free-flowing melodies. A lick is something that someone else had played and you copied; this is not the result of your sense of rhythm. Dizzy one said to this pianist in Florida, 'find yourself a rhythm and hang some notes on it'. The rhythmic behavior of Dizzys music is, for example, the polymetric conception which includes this simultaneous running of 5/4, 4/4, 6/8, 3/4 and other meters primarily responsible for the melodic rhythmic nature you hear in his playing."
    Mike Longo, pianist and musical director for Dizzy Gillespie

Miles Davis one said that if he was a branch in the tree of jazz, Dizzy was the trunk of the tree.

User Info Menu

If you think it is one entire bar of 6/8, there is no need to add a chromatic note or anything else, it fits by it self.

It's just 1-2-3 1-2-3.
    yeah, wouldn't that fall into the "rhythmic variation" category? Anyway, two triplets would still leave the 5th off beat. One triplet followed by an 8th would line it up with the other phrases better.

I'm not a "chord tones on the beat" nazi, it's good to experiment, but the BASIC version of these exercises starts 1 on the beat, two on the up beat, 3 on the beat, 4 up beat, 5 on the beat.

play your "1" phrase into the "5" phrase and you should see what I mean

User Info Menu

Tried some of those patterns last night, and really liked them. I know what I'll be practicing for a while.

User Info Menu

Joe-
    did you find groupings of small phrases into one larger phrase helped with your articulation? That's my favorite part; sort of built-in phrasing

User Info Menu

yeah, wouldn't that fall into the "rhythmic variation" category? Anyway, two triplets would still leave the 5th off beat. One triplet followed by an 8th would line it up with the other phrases better.

I'm not a "chord tones on the beat" nazi, it's good to experiment, but the BASIC version of these exercises starts 1 on the beat, two on the up beat, 3 on the beat, 4 up beat, 5 on the beat.

play your "1" phrase into the "5" phrase and you should see what I mean
    ah see it fits if you think of it as quarter note triplets. Which are a pain in the ass to count using the conventional subdividing of rhythms way.

Understanding Quarter Note Triplets | BANG! The Drum School

I was working a little bit on Indian rhythms, which are predicated on the opposite concept----- on additive rhythms. I believe that's the concept that Mike Longo emphasizes . This is one of his books that is highly highly recommended by his fellow piano player, Hal Galper.

"How To Sight Read Jazz and Syncopated Type Rhythms"

How To Sight Read Jazz and Syncopated Type Rhythms

"Learn the difference between rhythm as it developed in Africa and the Eastern part of the world, as opposed to our Western concept of rhythm.You learn to subdivide rhythm according to these Eastern principles along with a method for applying this to professional sight reading which enables you to come up with the exact interpretation of even the most "difficult to read" rhythms the very first time you perform them. As you progress through the course you will become acquainted with the traditional practices of jazz notation as it has been evolved by jazz composers and arrangers in the U.S.A. along with with some amazing insights into the unique type of meter which is exclusive to contemporary jazz.

Later in the course a sight reading technique is presented in which you learn to organize the time on the page in a completely unique fashion that can produce dramatic results in your ability to read and play rhythm at sight. Once you have learned the technique, the course takes you through a daily training program involving 35 reading exercises that are to be practiced daily employing a certain principle explained in the course. You will realize a drastic improvement in your sight reading ability if you apply these principles to this program and then move on to other music later. This can be accomplished in a matter of weeks if this regime is followed daily."

The other book that I ordered is called "the improvised melodic line".

"Having the right piece of information about a particular aspect of playing can be of tremendous value to the budding professional. It can literally save you years of trial and error-type experimentation. Why is having the right information so important?

YOU LEARN: How to use rhythm as a source of melody; How to create melody from a single tone; How to weave lines in and out of chord voicings and the tones involved in a chord progression; How to construct runs to be used as tools to create spontaneous melody; How to use the entire chromatic universe through the use of modes and by employing non-harmonic tone technique; How to negotiate progressions like the II-V pattern spontaneously rather than rely on memorized patterns.

Not only are you provided with valuable information, but you are shown how to practice to produce results the very next time you perform. In this course the work is mapped out in such a way so as to foster the tendency of creating an original style for yourself. You actually learn the techniques and practice methods of the accomplished musician, enabling you to experience an almost immediate growth as you begin to incorporate them into your playing.

You will learn how to use a single line of melody to convey the harmony, rhythm, counterpoint and form of an entire piece of music, unnaccompanied. You are provided with exercises which act as catalysts for unlocking certain kinds of rhythmic and tonal behavior in your playing as if by magic."

r which is exclusive to contemporan the course a sight reading technique is presented in which you learn to organize the time on the page in a completely unique fashion that can produce dramatic results in your ability to read and play rhythm at sight. Once you have learned the technique, the course takes you through a daily training program involving 35 reading exercises that are to be practiced daily employing a certain principle explained in the course. You will realize a drastic improvement in your sight reading ability if you apply these principles to this program and then move on to other music later. This can be accomplished in a matter of weeks if this regime is followed daily.

I Think it's more important to recognize patterns and it is study licks. This is what Mike logo says. If you studied these 5432 patterns, you will see a hallmark trademark of bebop: filling in the whole steps with chromatic movement .

Eagerly await Ing in the mail forthe two Mike Longo books that I just ordered . Where he teaches you the Dizzy Gillespie Way of creating melodies from rhythms.

No I'm not sure that the 1 pattern actually was codified. In any event, it makes sense and it sounds good. I'll continue to use it .

Hi,

What's the name of these books you ordered by Mike Longo?

Thanks

Ken

User Info Menu

ah see it fits if you think of it as quarter note triplets. Which are a pain in the ass to count using the conventional subdividing of rhythms way.

Hmm, sorry, if you mean two groups of quarter note triplets, then I still can't agree. Again, one set of quarter note triplets followed by 8th notes would get you lined up. Rhythm is super fun to experiment with-- just wanted to make sure anyone learning these things from this thread arn't starting of with lopsided phrases-- they can take it in that direction later
    Last edited by joe2758; 09-29-2016 at 10:37 AM.

User Info Menu

I was able to steal a second to try out that "1" phrase while changing my son's diaper
    There are some good guitar-cleaning products on the market nowadays.

User Info Menu

gotta make time my friend! most of my practice these days is one handed while mowing the lawn, showering, driving, brushing my teeth etc

User Info Menu

Joe-
    did you find groupings of small phrases into one larger phrase helped with your articulation? That's my favorite part; sort of built-in phrasing
    I did a little bit. I didn't really have much time to mess around with it. Sounded good though.