The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzMuzak
    I wish I knew where the second half to that video was.

Could you elaborate on this a little more or perhaps do a lesson? I guess I just don't totally see the benefit from a system like this....so you go through every key and practice every position individually and then put them together? And then you're thinking of what changes from the natural notes in each key?

I guess I'm just having trouble seeing the inherent benefit of this system over any other.

To use your example, Say I play "Ionian" position at C on the 8th fret and we modulate to F, I now know that I'm in in the "Mixolydian" position for F and the only note that has changed is Bb...but how is this inherently better than just thinking of intervals, or thinking CAGED and knowing that I'm going from "E Shape" to "A Shape"?
    I felt much the same about it for a long time. Really anything makes sense on paper, but it's a very physical thing. All I can tell you is that, for me, it's much different thinking about it from each scale degree from one string/finger reference point.

To be fair, from C, F is pretty easy comparatively. If you go on to Bb or Eb, referencing roots, you're going to be shifting positions and changing string and finger references completely with CAGED.

Anyway, words are lost describing some things, which are more physical. Honestly, many of the lessons learned, for me, weren't just playing, but fretboard knowledge, chords etc.

Check out Reg's videos and posts on this. He's the one that got many of us on board with this.

Scale fingerings, live at the speed of jazz. https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/theory/22914-regs-thread-live-speed-jazz-post238326.html

Technique-scales.

Technique studies

Left hand technique:

Listen to 02 Track 2 by Reg523 #np on #SoundCloud
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 08-14-2016 at 11:31 PM. Reason: 2nd thoughts...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I felt much the same about it for a long time. Really anything makes sense on paper, but it's a very physical thing. All I can tell you is that, for me, it's much different thinking about it from each scale degree from one string/finger reference point.

To be fair, from C, F is pretty easy comparatively. If you go on to Bb or Eb, referencing roots, you're going to be shifting positions and changing string and finger references completely with CAGED.

Anyway, words are lost describing some things, which are more physical. Honestly, many of the lessons learned, for me, weren't just playing, but fretboard knowledge, chords etc.

Check out Reg's videos and posts on this. He's the one that got many of us on board with this.

Scale fingerings, live at the speed of jazz. Reg's Thread... live at the speed of Jazz

Technique-scales.

Technique studies

Left hand technique:

Listen to 02 Track 2 by Reg523 #np on #SoundCloud
    Indeed. I didn't make any real breakthrough in my own playing until the muscles in my fingers could get to the note without my brain intervening actively.