The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 58 of 58
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Agreed. Glad you're coming around on this.

Now, Eb6 on D7, there's a sound I can get into.
    Ha ha.

I need to get off the internet. I'm sitting by myself laughing at a statement which no one else in my daily life would even understand. :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

oh crap did I miss a joke

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Jeff, did you mean Ebmin6, or were you making a point out of having the natural 11? Thanks, just trying to learn
    It's a Cmin7 joke (if there is such a thing). Eb6 = Cmin7. Hence, his "not Cmin7", play Eb6".

User Info Menu

right, went straight over my head. funny bc Ebm6 is a standard sub in barry harris land

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    It's a Cmin7 joke (if there is such a thing). Eb6 = Cmin7. Hence, his "not Cmin7", play Eb6".
    Yes, there is a first for everything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dingusmingus
    Huh, I've never seen that, but I'm not an expert reader so you may be right.

Here are two other transcriptions that I grabbed off the web. Both are written without key signatures and both write that note as an F#.
    D Natural Blues
    http://www.brucesaunders.com/Resourc...20no%20tab.pdf
    I've just checked those notations. As per my understanding of notation one from "slideshare" says F#, while one from "brucesounders" says F(natural).
    I even went that far to find the tune on YT and listen to Wes playing. I think your version, with G, is the closest match.

User Info Menu

i agree the why is for the philosophers

one of the things - as an ex-philosopher - that i love so much about the jazz is that i don't give a crap about why - just what and how (and maybe when)

i don't really want to read any more of c77 and reg going at it

if i understand four words reg. writes in a row its a very unusual day

but i understand every word c77 writes

you can understand the same empirical phenomenon in lots of different ways - the same item can figure in lots of different pictures - perhaps from different angles. the question can even arise - about one and the same item - if it really is the same thing looked at from different angles in different pictures or is it a whole different thing.

those questions can get boring - or not.

in music they get boring.

i did a post ages ago proposing that - because using minor 6 chords to capture the array of dominant sounds c77 has so helpfully identified is SO SIMPLE - it just must have been the way anti-theoretical early be-bop musicians thought about it all.

i think that is bound to be right - and if it is - it gives my barry harris way of explaining it all - or c77's - a certain priority over the modal approach favored by reg.

but only a certain priority. any way to the same place is fine - as long as its not too circumlocutory

User Info Menu

look down look down
    the lonesome road
    before you travel on

1927 this was written

the change on the second syllable of 'before' is Abm6 to Ebmaj

as i just worked it out i thought i'd mention it