The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Some great stuff from a beautiful cat!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"You want to play it fast night now!" Yeah, I know that feeling. I still have it.
    But if you can't, "You must reconsider."

Good stuff.

User Info Menu

That's a great clip. I saw it years ago when transcription seemed so scary. Now it feels like home!

User Info Menu

hadn't seen this one. i've always liked clint's seminar stuff.

User Info Menu

Never heard of Clint, but I like him. Anyone want to recommend a record or performance?

There was a related clip of "San Antonio Rose" where he was sounding like Les Paul. On an Ovation no less. Which serves as a demonstration on why we should worry more about our playing and less about our guitar

He seems like a real character.

User Info Menu

Here's a clip of Clint as a teenager with a large jazz band. Impressive!

User Info Menu

This may be the clip morekiller was talking about.

User Info Menu

A jazzy lesson. Dude can play!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    This may be the clip morekiller was talking about.

those clips with Clint on the ovation are just sooooo good.

my intro to Clint was Tommy morrell's time warp top hands...he's a world class player, and a regular dude, a good guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    those clips with Clint on the ovation are just sooooo good.

my intro to Clint was Tommy morrell's time warp top hands...he's a world class player, and a regular dude, a good guy.
    The Clint instructional DVD is so good, if you can get it still?

I think sadly he fell on hard times

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar View Post

I don't know where one can buy it new. A used copy is for sale at Amazon for $129 dollars. (I wonder how that number was arrived at.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar View Post

I heard he was in jail for a year or two. They should've given him added time so the rest of us can catch up to him.

User Info Menu

Oh wow, here he is jamming (and talking music) with Rory Hoffman in 2015. So, hopefully he has lifted himself up from whatever hard times he may have had.

User Info Menu

Rory is scary good too.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I love that clip of him at NAMM with Kenny Burrell.

User Info Menu

Never listened to Clint before, great player. He does seem a little odd in the 2015 vid though, wonder if he's on meds or something.

User Info Menu

In that clip with Rory---an hour show---Clint talks about a trilogy of books by Howard Roberts called "Praxis." Anyone familiar with it?

User Info Menu

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/impro...is-system.html

Looks like its around $98 now for all three volumes on Amazon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    Never listened to Clint before, great player. He does seem a little odd in the 2015 vid though, wonder if he's on meds or something.
    One things for sure, he's still playing wonderfully. Listen to "Here's that rainy day" at about 32 minutes in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    In that clip with Rory---an hour show---Clint talks about a trilogy of books by Howard Roberts called "Praxis." Anyone familiar with it?
    I've got all three of those books they are like a medical dictionary for musical deficiencies.

They Are brilliant.

User Info Menu

I first became aware of Clint when he was Merle Haggards guitar player. Merle loves him some jazz. Merle and his band are the only country artists to ever grace the cover of Downbeat Magazine.

Clint is a Bopper in Cowboy Boots...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLD...Wg&mode=NORMAL
    Last edited by Flat5; 02-28-2016 at 12:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Here is Clint in an instructional video (I'm not sure what song he's referring to) breaking down the chord substitutions he's using, then playing over those changes. Some mighty tasty playing...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLD...N8&mode=NORMAL

User Info Menu

I knew OF Clint when I was in high school in Houston. My best friend was a bass player that I grew up with, and in high school he went to magnet arts there in Houston and he came back from the state competition (It might even have been '82, the year of that clip) telling me about this skinny long haired white boy in Dallas that could play Parker tunes like nobody's business.

Then there was a year that Jack got Clint to come to North Texas, and we had one of Jack's classes together. Since he was good friends with my buddy, I got to be around sometimes when Clint was just hanging out, and he really is a fun guy to be around. I never played with him, but there were a couple times I just happened to be around when there was a heavy jam session and hearing Clint play in a setting like that...man, just unbelievable

I always thought Clint was the best jazz guitar player of my generation

User Info Menu

I always enjoy my encounters with Clint Strong videos and songs, as well as at local guitar shows when he makes an appearance.

For anyone in this area that might want to study with him, last I heard he is still teaching at Lamb's Music in Fort Worth, Texas.

Check the link:

Ft. Worth Music Lessons - Guitar, Bass, Drums, and Piano | Lambs Music

User Info Menu

According to Facebook, today (14 March) is Clint's birthday. If you follow him there, you might want to wish him a happy birthday.