The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarmek View Post
    Never heard of Clint, but I like him. Anyone want to recommend a record or performance?
    Aside from all the great video on this thread, check out "Marchel Ivery Meets Joey DeFrancesco". Clint burns it down in a real jazz setting with other virtuoso jazz players.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar View Post
    I've got all three of those books [HR's "Praxis" system, or Guitar Compendium] they are like a medical dictionary for musical deficiencies.

They Are brilliant.
    I've had my hands on them for a few weeks via inter-library loan. Not enough time to work much in them but time enough to see what all is in them.

For one thing, the "five fingerings" (as Jimmy Bruno calls them) that Joe Pass and Ron Eschete and many another guitar player/teacher has used. That's my "default" now. Lot of good stuff on intervals. A wealth of material; more of a reference work than a book to work through from beginning to end. I'll wind up getting this eventually.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine View Post
    Aside from all the great video on this thread, check out "Marchel Ivery Meets Joey DeFrancesco". Clint burns it down in a real jazz setting with other virtuoso jazz players.
    Here's a track from that album, "The Blues Walk." Clint's solo starts at the 1:32 mark.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    Here's a track from that album, "The Blues Walk." Clint's solo starts at the 1:32 mark.

Really great, what year is this from? Joey reminds me of Trudy Pitts on Martino's El Hombre, in fact Clint sounds a bit Martino-ish in parts on this track too. Sweet recording, although as much a fan as I am of hard bop sax, Iverson's playing leaves me a bit unsatisfied on this cut ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    Really great, what year is this from? Joey reminds me of Trudy Pitts on Martino's El Hombre, in fact Clint sounds a bit Martino-ish in parts on this track too. Sweet recording, although as much a fan as I am of hard bop sax, Iverson's playing leaves me a bit unsatisfied on this cut ...

I can never hear "Blues Walk" without thinking of Clifford Brown's recording of it, and that's a hard standard for anyone to be measured against.

Clint really shines though.

User Info Menu

Clint's comping during Joey's solo is stellar, too...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    It's Ivery not Iverson, and IMHO, he sounds great on this and everything else I've heard him on.

User Info Menu

clint strong has a youtube channel now.