The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 110 of 110

User Info Menu

Melodic minor on a minor ii-v is pretty clear - you play the Mel minor on iv and then move it up a minor third. So for Bm7b5 E7b9 play D melodic minor, F melodic minor.

That's the default modern way afaik

Get that scale movement under your fingers.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

hey folks, thought i'd drop by with a small update on my progress. which is not much admittedly! great to see this thread going strong as well. tons of valuable insights from everyone, that are all helping me shape my own approach.

here's some late night noodling over a basic ii - V - I - VI alt.

sometimes i'll substitute the I with a relative minor, like the iii. don't mind the picture, but feel free to ask if it piques your curiosity, haha!
    Last edited by intheory; 03-27-2016 at 05:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by intheory
    hey folks, thought i'd drop by with a small update on my progress. which is not much admittedly! great to see this thread going strong as well. tons of valuable insights from everyone, that are all helping me shape my own approach.

here's some late night noodling over a basic ii - V - I - VI alt.

sometimes i'll substitute the I with a relative minor, like the iii. don't mind the picture, but feel free to ask if it piques your curiosity, haha!
    Some great lines man. I would advise - keep doing whatever it is that you are doing.... I like it when you play up high and it sounds a bit like a synth.

ah christianm77, really appreciate that my friend. nothing special about my technique in that regard, just using a very subtle octaver!

edit: i'll keep doing just that, learning from you guys!
    Last edited by intheory; 03-14-2016 at 06:08 AM.

User Info Menu

edit: i'll keep doing just that, learning from you guys!
    Just take care not to learn from me.

hey fellas, here's something i whipped up last night. feedback and critique more than welcome!

at least 50% of my jazz phrasing at this time feels fake, and is what i understand metheny to refer to when he says non-rhythmic soloing (messy rhythms that don't fit into even subdivisions and disregard the bar line).

edit: i'm using some mix of melodic and harmonic minor over the minor II7#9 - V7b13 - im9.. still trying to explore their tonalities over these chords more, especially melodic minor.
    Last edited by intheory; 03-25-2016 at 10:58 AM.

thanks a lot man! yeah, e minor. really appreciate those tips, gonna try them out tonight! the F#7#9 happens kinda quickly, i think usually for a beat or less @188 bpm, but i sub it in for the iim7b5 in most places. any other suggestions you can give on how to improve my playing would be much appreciated!

User Info Menu

hey fellas, here's something i whipped up last night. feedback and critique more than welcome!

at least 50% of my jazz phrasing at this time feels fake, and is what i understand metheny to refer to when he says non-rhythmic soloing (messy rhythms that don't fit into even subdivisions and disregard the bar line).

edit: i'm using some mix of melodic and harmonic minor over the minor II7#9 - V7b13 - im9.. still trying to explore their tonalities over these chords more, especially melodic minor.
    At the moment you sound like a fusion/rock player rather than a jazz/fusion player. Nothing wrong with that at all BTW. I dig your playing...

How often do you practice outlining the harmony and time away from a backing track? Most serious jazzers would spend time learning how to run the changes in continuous 8th notes without backing - against a metronome say - that's an important basic skill.

Also what jazz musicians do you listen to and have you done much transcription?

Also rhythm first - notes second.

thanks a lot for the reply christian! i was able to listen to your playing over at your website -- and man, you are the one who sounds fantastic! you really hit the nail on the head. i spent my formative years playing classic rock, a little blues, and a little metal. the next few years were dominated by yngwie. eventually i started getting into fusion cats like guthrie and greg howe, but i'm starting to see fusion as an application of jazz, and how important jazz fundamentals are as you mentioned.

i've learned basic arpeggios for basic extended chords (maj7, etc.), but nothing beyond that i'm afraid. thanks for highlighting that, i will definitely start drilling chord outlines without a backing track, and with a metronome.

some of my favorite jazz guys at the moment are charlie parker, masato honda, arturo sandoval, emily remler, george benson, and oscar peterson. i've transcribed next to nothing from these guys haha. only "jazz" transcription i've done is from a song on the gran turismo 3 soundtrack:

i need to hit the woodshed!

User Info Menu

thanks a lot for the reply christian! i was able to listen to your playing over at your website -- and man, you are the one who sounds fantastic! you really hit the nail on the head. i spent my formative years playing classic rock, a little blues, and a little metal. the next few years were dominated by yngwie. eventually i started getting into fusion cats like guthrie and greg howe, but i'm starting to see fusion as an application of jazz, and how important jazz fundamentals are as you mentioned.

i've learned basic arpeggios for basic extended chords (maj7, etc.), but nothing beyond that i'm afraid. thanks for highlighting that, i will definitely start drilling chord outlines without a backing track, and with a metronome.

some of my favorite jazz guys at the moment are charlie parker, masato honda, arturo sandoval, emily remler, george benson, and oscar peterson. i've transcribed next to nothing from these guys haha. only "jazz" transcription i've done is from a song on the gran turismo 3 soundtrack:

i need to hit the woodshed!
    That's very kind of you.

Sounds like you love and listen to some great jazz cats. Pay close attention to what they do and see you much you can hear... Often it's not the notes it's the rhythm... Truth is it's a journey... I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!